Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,966 through 1,980 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Andrew
    Keymaster

    Andrea, unfortunately that’s not something we will provide. But the chord voicings are listed in the sheet music if you want to give it a shot!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED THIS MONTH! WE HAD 100 MEMBERS PARTICIPATE! YOU GUYS ROCK!

    Steven and I were truly impressed with everyone’s performances this month. This was a TOUGH technique to learn! And you guys rose to the challenge. I’m proud of everyone 🙂

    Hope to see y’all in our November Challenge!

    Here is a list of everyone who earned an entry for the giveaway. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

    —-

    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    mozcyc
    effortless
    godmustbecrazy
    mark1256
    mark1256
    henri0
    henri0
    rebeca
    Catherine
    Catherine
    qiuyan
    qiuyan
    turkgoose
    turkgoose
    andrewvh
    andrewvh
    sebyul
    sebyul
    shmu88
    shmu88
    marygrace
    marygrace
    mennloo
    cncamacho
    cncamacho
    robinl
    ukesilver
    ukesilver
    marianne
    marianne
    jedart
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    debb1985
    debb1985
    stianukulele
    stianukulele
    allesyone
    amylilley
    amylilley
    gstriph
    gstriph
    cauer2
    cauer2
    nikolaaa
    nikolaaa
    kittycatlin
    kittycatlin
    brettboy
    brettboy
    patparr
    patparr
    bklynsoul
    bklynsoul
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    rockmyuke
    rockmyuke
    oldan_
    oldan_
    katazumiri
    bdenham14
    lissid
    newber
    newber
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    gmflin8
    gmflin8
    pippin105
    pippin105
    rucha11
    rucha11
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    tsetsova
    tsetsova
    sdorunga
    akukes73
    akukes73
    rufio0
    rufio0
    ukulelee
    ukulelee
    antotonin
    antotonin
    janett75
    janett75
    concan
    concan
    coffeemug
    coffeemug
    nthibode
    nthibode
    laurakarr12
    laurakarr12
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    goody2shoes
    goody2shoes
    whollyprofit
    whollyprofit
    themccoys
    themccoys
    xarqin
    haroldh101
    haroldh101
    karenj
    karenj
    joannetala
    joannetala
    sebaraedo
    sir_anzalot
    sir_anzalot
    alana_
    alana_
    cyberloh
    cyberloh
    jkulele
    jkulele
    janaq1
    janaq1
    addilein
    addilein
    schaap123
    schaap123
    lisamcc
    lisamcc
    aloooy
    aloooy
    luizaveit
    luizaveit
    stinyuke
    stinyuke
    celia21
    miztaken
    miztaken
    andyrose
    andyrose
    beauke
    beauke
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    andracass
    andracass
    olemartin
    olemartin
    torung
    misterbones
    misterbones
    ukandrea
    ukandrea
    willymac
    willymac
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    emiliano
    emiliano
    mademoiselleannette
    pgoody
    pgoody
    utemor
    utemor
    zukulele
    zukulele
    joe150
    joe150
    givingtree89
    givingtree89
    marni11
    marni11
    cinichol
    cinichol
    iyers408
    iyers408
    junkourata
    junkourata
    cloud_cactus

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here is the rest of the feedback for folks on pages 14 and 15.

    givingtree89 – Well played! The only suggestion I have is to try to get a little bit more “flick” in the strum attack. Check out the video for a more detailed explanation/demo of this:

    marni11 – Sounds great overall! Although it sounds like the audio skipped quite a bit, you may want to look into that.

    cinichol – I thought you played wonderfully! Don’t worry about the nerves, it happens to all of us. Check out this article that I wrote with some tips to help combat stage fright. The only thing I’d point out about your playing, is to work towards keeping the form consistent. For example, in the A Melody you played a lot of it with just the index finger instead of ID, TD, IU.

    iyers408 – Well played! Technique looks great! Have fun with OITN, it’s a fantastic composition 🙂

    junkourata – Well done! So with this technique, you want the attack of the first hit (the strum) to come from the “flick” of the index finger, as opposed to the motion of the wrist – which is what a typical strum uses. Check out the video above in @givingtree89’s post. It explains this in greater detail.

    cloud_cactus – Sounds great! I think with a little bit more practice you’ll get it down smoother 🙂

    —-


    @maryjanew
    – You’ve got a great start to it! Keep practicing. Unfortunately, I have to stick to the deadline rules and cannot count late entries. But, you’ll have 2 more chances for entries in November and December 🙂


    @qiuyan
    – Sounds great! Well done on the timing and sustain! Very impressive for such a hard tune 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @lisadmh – You must perform to the backing track for that song. I’d recommend sharing your re-worked version separate from this challenge.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Friendly Reminder – The deadline for receiving feedback and an entry into the giveaway is tonight at 11:59 PM EST (check your local time zone).

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @ukandrea – got it!


    @utemor
    – Well done! So I’d actually offer you the same feedback I left for @mademoiselleannette in the post above 🙂


    @zukulele
    – Very impressive for 10 minutes, Zion! Well done and keep up the great playing!


    @joe150
    – Well done, Joe! This is another month that you knocked it out of the park. Great job with the sustain, sounds beautiful. Only tip I have for you: Double check the form of the piece and try to get it memorized. Keep up the great work!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s everyone on page 13.

    andracass – Welcome back, MT! And thank you for the kind words on the composition. Really appreciate it! I thought you did a great job overall! Well done with the sustain, sounds lovely 🙂

    olemartin – Well done! Great job on the technique and it sounds fantastic overall. Keep up the great work!

    torung – Well done! Technique looks great! At this point, I’d start pushing yourself to go a little bit faster. Try five or ten BPM faster than what you’re currently at. When that becomes comfortable, boost up the tempo again by the same incremental amounts.

    misterbones – Wow, you’ve got some speed! And I loved the rhythmic variation you threw in there. Very creative and it fit perfectly! So your video – it’s a little bit blurry when watching the right hand technique – maybe you just played too fast for the camera lol! So it’s hard for me to tell if you’ve got the “flick” happening with the first hit (the strum). Double check this video and make sure that it lines up with how you’re doing the technique.

    ukandrea – Nicely played! I’d say, try to get a little bit more “flick” in the strum attack. Check out the video I linked above for @misterbones for a more detailed explanation/demo of this. Other than that, keep working on the technique so that you don’t break the form like you did in the last A Melody. But overall, great job and keep up the great work!

    willymac – First thought: Wow, that uke could sounds lovely. Second thought: That’s because of the player. Well done, Brian!

    kirpuff – Bravo, Sara! The only thing I’d say is slow the tempo down so you can practice cleaning it up a little bit. But everything looks and sounds great, well done!

    emiliano – I love the slow, then fast form. That and the changes you added – very creative! No worries on changing fingerings – we give the suggestions that work best for us, but sometimes it may not be best for your playing style. With where you’re at in your playing, I think you’ll intrinsically make the best choices. Keep up the good work, that was a fun performance to watch!

    mademoiselleannette – Well done, and thank you for the kind words! So with this technique, you want the attack of the first hit (the strum) to come from the “flick” of the index finger, as opposed to the motion of the wrist – which is what a typical strum uses. Check out the video below that I made for another member. It explains this in greater detail.

    pgoody – Well played, it sounds lovely! So from the angle of the camera, it’s hard for me to see if the first hit (the strum) is being executed with a flick of the index finger. So just double check that you’re doing it as described in this video 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s everyone on page 12.

    aloooy – Bravo! Excellent job getting the technique down, it sounds great! Maybe give a go at the other song again, Steven’s lesson is step-by-step on how to play it like Tobias. This is good if you get stuck in a section. But after watching this performance, I definitely think you can handle that song!

    luizaveit – Well done, technique looks great and it sounds fantastic! Keep up the great work 🙂

    stinyuke – I know we’re not supposed to pick favorites, but yours was my favorite! Fantastic job to both of you. So much fun to watch!

    celia21 – Well done! Technique looks great and sounds great! Watch out for placing your fretting finger on top of the fret. For example, at 24 seconds you are playing the G7. Your ring finger is on top of the metal fret and this mutes the sound of that note. Make sure you are fretting behind the fret, close to it, but not directly on it.

    miztaken – Sounds great, Misty! I don’t think I’d worry too much about the things you pointed out, instead the only thing that stood out to me is in regards to the first hit (the strum) – you are using too much wrist motion to execute it. Remember, the attack comes from the “flick” of the index finger instead of the motion of the wrist.

    Check out this video that I made for another member the other day which explains/demos this in greater detail:

    andyrose – Well done, Andy! So I’d actually recommend the exact same advice I left right above for @miztaken. With this technique, you want to get a little bit more of that “flick” action happening.

    beauke – Great job! So yesterday I made this video for another member. It had three tips in it, skip to the last one towards the end of the video. This last tip talks about wrist form. I want you to work on correcting that to align to what I covered in the video. After that, you’ll be rocking and rolling!

    robinboyd – Sounds great, Robin! Technique looks good! I’d say, try to relax a little bit more so that you’re not so stiff when playing. And I think as you continue to practice, slow the tempo down and really focus on getting all of the chord hits correct. Some are all 4 strings, some are 3. Sometimes in these parts, you hit one or two notes. So focus in on that and you’ll get a fuller sound.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @pgoody – i fixed your video, too 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @utemor – i fixed your video for you 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s everyone on page 11.

    sebaraedo – Bravo! That was a flawless performance 🙂

    sir_anzalot – Well done! Technique looks great and great feel throughout. Watch out for hitting those slide notes too hard. The one you did at 43 seconds was perfect, try to match the volume of the others to that one.

    We’re rolling out Christmas and Hanukkah songs starting 2nd week of Nov. That will be Dec’s theme 🙂

    alana_ – Here is my feedback for you 🙂

    cyberloh – Sounds great! It was hard for me to see if the right hand technique was done properly from that angle. So you may want to double-check that you’re doing it as described in this video.

    jkulele – Well done! Try to get a little bit more of a “flick” in the attack of the index finger as opposed to the motion of a strum. Click the link that I left above for @cyberloh for a more detailed demo/example of this.

    janaq1 – Bravo, Jana! Great feel, timing and well done on the right hand technique! Very impressive, keep up the great work!

    addilein – Great job! So there’s two things I want to point out. First, check out the advice I left above for @jkulele. I’d recommend the same for you. Second, try to lighten up your attack for the pick attack (thumb and index). A lighter pluck produces a softer, sweeter tone. Here’s a video I made last year for another member, and although it demos a different song, it explains this concept in much better detail.

    schaap123 – Well done! Overall, you did an excellent job on the right hand technique. But if you do watch your performance back, you’ll notice that you break the proper form here and there. To me, I’d say you’re playing it at your limit right now (tempo wise). So I’d suggest slowing it down and really focusing on the right hand form to keep it consistent.

    As far as the volume issue, I wouldn’t be able to suggest anything if you’re just recording with the mic from a video camera/smart phone. Check out our recording course to up your recording quality.

    lisamcc – Sounds great, Lisa! Technique looks great too! I’d say with a little bit more practice, you’d get it cleaned up a bit. But I know you know what to do, so keep up the great work!

    in reply to: Happy Halloween! #41574
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    I love it Debb!

    in reply to: Howdy! #41573
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Thank you so much, Krista! I really appreciate it 🙂 If you ever need help on the lessons, don’t hesitate to reach out to me.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s everyone on page 10.

    joannetala – Wow Joanne! What a beautiful and amazing sounding Kanile’a. Congrats, you deserve it! I was very impressed with your performance, right hand technique is spot-on. Excellent work! The only critique I have is to watch your timing as to not speed up as you progress through the piece. But overall, bravo!

    karenj – well done, Karen! Right hand technique looks great! My suggestion is to slow the tempo a little bit. That way you’ll be able to focus on increasing the sustain throughout the entire piece. Here’s a video I made early on this month for another member with some tips on this subject.

    haroldh101 – you should definitely participate more, Harold! Excellent job getting the technique down and a great performance overall. Well done!

    xarqin – I love your sense of dynamics – you took it and made it your own! Love that. So you’ve got two-thirds of the technique down: pick – pick. But the first hit, the ‘strum’ should not mimic a typical strum. Rather the motion comes from the flick of the index rather than the motion of the wrist.

    Here’s a video that I sent another member in private a few days ago. It explains/demos the three attacks in greater detail.

    themccoys – well done! Try to get a little bit more of the “flick attack” which occurs at the first joint of the index finger for the first hit. Check out the video that I embedded above for @xarqin for a better explanation/demo of this.

    in reply to: Hello From Chicago #41520
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, Patrick! I’d recommend starting here and hope you join us in a monthly challenge! November’s challenge will be out on the first 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1,966 through 1,980 (of 4,195 total)