Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
October 27, 2020 at 1:57 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a #41503
AndrewKeymaster@sdorunga – your coordination looks good! I think what you’re getting at is “comfort” or natural flow. That takes time. Keep doing what you’re doing – continue to learn, it’s working! 🙂
AndrewKeymasterWelcome, Dipanjan! Jump into our Theory Course, it will lay a great foundation for understanding and applying the fundamentals to your playing 🙂
October 26, 2020 at 1:06 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a #41474
AndrewKeymaster@whollyprofit – Can you send me (via email) a video playing it? I’ll be happy to help you out 🙂
AndrewKeymasterWelcome, Patricia! Glad you found us. Be sure to start here and if you ever need help on the lessons, don’t hesitate to post questions here or email me 🙂
AndrewKeymasterLisa is correct, any low G song will work for baritone, although you’ll be in a different key.
I do want to add baritone lessons in the future, but I’ll need to send out a survey to gauge interest. We did that awhile back and unfortunately, there just wasn’t a lot of interest. But the site has grown a lot and I’m curious if that remains the same or has changed.
AndrewKeymasterThat’s Tomo Fujita! He’s a Berklee professor and a blues master! A couple or few weeks ago I shared the blues solos I learned from him (I’ll link it below). His phrasing and note choice is brilliant.
He’s a great teacher, you can def learn a lot from him. This subject does require an understanding of it before using the ear training programs, but if you are looking for one that’s very good – check out Rick Beato’s ear training program. I purchased it and it’s very well done!
AndrewKeymaster
AndrewKeymasterWelcome, Ola! Congrats on graduating and happy to have you here 🙂
October 16, 2020 at 1:55 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a #41310
AndrewKeymaster@marygrace – Welcome back, MG! Hope you are all healed 🙂
Playing wise, sounds great! The thing I’ve noticed from a few entries is that folks are using a larger than required attack with motion coming from the wrist as opposed to a flick of the index. You can notice this in your performance if you watch the index finger hits. Compare that to Steven’s performance and you’ll notice a lot less movement.
That’s probably the hardest part of this technique to grasp, since we’re so used to using a traditional strum attack. Check out this feedback I left for another member for a bit more clarity on this.
@Catherine – My pleasure!October 16, 2020 at 1:40 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a #41307October 16, 2020 at 1:29 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a #41306
AndrewKeymaster@sebyul – Well done! It sounds great, the only suggestion I have is to try to minimize the motion of the wrist a little bit. The attack is coming from the flick of the finger vs. movement of the wrist. Check out this feedback I left for another member for a bit more clarity on this.
@shmu88 – Bravo, Samuel! I just shared your performance of “St. Anne’s Reel” in our email newsletter today. Keep up the great work! 🙂
@shmu88 – Sounds great! Keep up the good work! 🙂
@Catherine – Much better with the right hand technique, but I wouldn’t anchor your pinky. We recommend floating for better freedom of motion. But, BIG improvement, great job!October 12, 2020 at 11:06 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a #41268
AndrewKeymaster@andrewvh – Great start, Andrew! I think one of the hardest things with this tune is keeping that strum intact – not only rhythmically speaking (on 2 and 4), but also in feel. So great job there!
The other part that’s tough is the left hand’s work, especially in the B melody. Break it down into little phrases. Loop and repeat, and slow the tempo down. Get 1 phrase super committed to muscle memory then work on the next, and piece it together, then raise tempo.
If you’ve got time, post a follow up at end of the month 🙂
October 12, 2020 at 1:51 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a #41262
AndrewKeymaster@qiuyan – Nicely played! Check out the feedback I left for @Catherine a couple posts above yours. That should give you some clarity on correcting wrist motion.
@turkgoose – Well done on the right hand technique! Keep up the great work 🙂October 11, 2020 at 1:06 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a #41240
AndrewKeymaster@Catherine – Well done! So with this technique, the wrist should be pretty stationary with a slight twisting motion. What you’re doing is more like strumming.
Most of the movement comes from the thumb and index, lick a flick approach. The overall range of motion needs to be quite small – it’s a very controlled movement.
I’d recommend going back and re-watching the first 2 lessons of Module 2 in the course. That’s where Steven demos and explains the attack.
AndrewKeymasterHere’s a screen shot from this lesson on proper right hand form. The key is to keep the wrist parallel and not protruding outward. Try to be cognitive of it while practicing and correcting your wrist if it does stick out.
Work on that for awhile and if you still have trouble, please post a video playing and I’ll be happy to take a look and make sure everything else looks okay 🙂

-
AuthorPosts