Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,371 through 2,385 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hi Lisa, Chris says:

    “Hovering is all good. I’ve seen both done by players much more adept at the style to myself and either can work just fine.”

    in reply to: Give Up? #35515
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @reneemur – Could you post a video of you playing? I’d be happy to take a look to make sure your form looks okay πŸ™‚

    in reply to: Hello from Santa Barbara #35512
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, glad you found us πŸ™‚ If you haven’t seen it yet, I’d recommend starting here with our lessons.

    As for your question, most folks just use their smart phone’s camera.

    And if you ever need help on the lessons, don’t hesitate to post questions on the forum. Happy to help!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Becky, you can use the nail of your middle finger, but you will need to keep the claw-shape intact for the technique.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    We had 30 members participate this month! Stephen and I were blown away by everyone’s performances! And for those of you who wrote an original – WOW!!! – we were so impressed by your songwriting talents πŸ™‚

    This month’s prize is 2 hour long Skype lessons, one taught by Stephen and the other by me. So without further ado, the winners are:

    null

    null

    Our February Challenge is LIVE: https://rockclass101.com/february-2020-challenge. We’ve got a BRAND NEW Theme for this month and we’re giving away a NEW PRIZE: a $149 Banjolele! Hope to see everyone in the challenge!

    —-

    santai – Beautiful playing! There’s really nothing I can suggest other than normal “listen back / targeted practice” stuff you already know. But what I do want to say, is that you showed an excellent understanding of the different rhythms used in this piece – which is the hardest part of this tune. Well done!

    BTW – sorry to hear you were sick, hope you are on feeling better!

    ukeher – Wow! Amazing job! This song is a workout for the left hand and you did phenomenal on all the barre chords. One thing you do want to incorporate is putting the swing into the rhythm beginning on Theme 3. But again, truly awesome! Way to rise to the challenge, bravo πŸ™‚

    ukukelley1 – That’s a really beautiful tune, Sheryl. I really like how you developed the harmony, which built the piece up, the second time through. The B Melody is great, fits perfectly; well done!

    You know this song has a bit of a Hawaiian vibe to me, and maybe a touch of the classic song vibes with the harmony (think: stand by me, my girl). I really dig it.

    Keep working on the C melody – you’ll flesh it out. And def, keep writing!

    holly1 – I love it! I I think it’s really cool how you can study a style and be so inspired by it that you create your own tunes. Well done!

    becky7777 – Your recording has such a haunting vibe with the EQ, I love it! Sounds like a scary movie soundtrack πŸ™‚

    The only thing I can suggest is to focus on keeping the timing a little bit more consistent. But overall it was awesome, great job!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @mweir1 – ohh, and for right hand, see if you can straighten it up a little bit more. But you’re on the right path with that!

    (For others reading this, here’s our form guidelines for the right hand.)

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @mweir1 – Wow, Mairi! Sounds like you’ve been playing A LOT since I last heard you. Amazing progress and beautifully played. I’m impressed, keep up the great work πŸ™‚

    in reply to: clawhammer #35461
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    That’s awesome! Glad you are enjoying it, Lisa! πŸ™‚

    in reply to: People Are Strange #35460
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Sure, I can send it to you πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @nthibode – Brilliant job! The only thing I can suggest is to keep working on getting the notes in the first part of the B melody to ring clearer – which is actually the hardest part of the tune. Keep up the great work, Nathalie! πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Whoops! Looks like I skipped a couple, my apologies!

    ramiro – I love the A and B melody. Here’s what I would do. I’d cut that transition section from 35 seconds to 45. And just go from B to C (strum section). That makes it flow better IMO. You can test this by playing 0 to 35, pause and jump to 45. That sounds more coherent… as in a more complete sounding piece, IMO. “A B C” is a cool form and we’ve done those before. Keep writing, you’ve got talent for it!

    And good idea for an arranging challenge, I’ll keep that in mind πŸ™‚

    marama – Here is my feedback for you πŸ™‚

    Here is the first lesson on form to check out, and another.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @karenj – Here is my feedback for you πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @marygrace – Well done! Here’s my feedback for you and the lesson I referenced for you to check out. πŸ™‚

    in reply to: scales and fingering #35396
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Check out this lesson for 3 warm up exercises, one of which is a sequenced pattern out of C Major.

    For learning scales, check out our theory course. Module 1, Unit 3 covers the major scale.

    Module 3 shows you how to alter it to create other scales. That module also has the major scale notated in 5 positions throughout the neck and shows you 2 ways to approach soloing using major and minor pentatonic.

    Have fun and let me know if you have any questions! πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Lisa, check out this video. It’s guitar, but it explains call and response well:

Viewing 15 posts - 2,371 through 2,385 (of 4,195 total)