Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
September 28, 2026 at 9:17 pm in reply to: Participate in the September 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $549 Kala Ukulele #84456
carynjoy
ParticipantThanks to the tips from @Andrew I’m posting an updated video! For the last week I’ve been focusing on making my fretting hand movements more efficient (and also trying to control my flying pinky…). This is probably take 200 or more but who’s counting?
Also, I love seeing everyone’s videos!! Hope all are having a good September.
Caryn
September 26, 2026 at 4:00 pm in reply to: Participate in the September 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $549 Kala Ukulele #84441carynjoy
ParticipantAww, thanks @annyuke! I think that strumming riff and that chucking etude you did this month are the two hardest songs for me in that Beginning Pathway. You did really well, and I loved the swing feel you put into the rhythm.
September 22, 2026 at 9:37 pm in reply to: Participate in the September 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $549 Kala Ukulele #84423carynjoy
Participant@Andrew, your feedback and tips are very much appreciated!! I never thought to watch my own videos at 50% speed, but it was so interesting and I can definitely see my fingers hoping around and flying high here. Thanks for the pointers 🙂
September 21, 2026 at 9:46 pm in reply to: Participate in the September 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $549 Kala Ukulele #84417carynjoy
ParticipantI’ve been working on the beginner capstones and here is my progress on the Feel Good Strumming Riff. Watching my video I’m seeing I have a little pause after my chucks and now I want to work on that in addition to cleaning up some buzzing and muting when I’m use my pinky to fret melody notes… BUT I’m very happy with my progress so far.
September 19, 2026 at 6:49 pm in reply to: Participate in the September 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $549 Kala Ukulele #84404carynjoy
Participant@brettboy, very inspiring. I’ve been working on both beginner capstone songs this month and right now I’m very slow on the Feel Good Strumming Riff and so it changes the sound/mood entirely. I really like the bouncy feel of your playing, it sounds so great!
Lovely listening to everyone posts so far!
carynjoy
Participant@abster Wow, nicely done! This was an absolute pleasure to listen to. Thanks for sharing!
August 29, 2026 at 10:40 am in reply to: Participate in the August 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $549 Kala Ukulele #84247carynjoy
ParticipantHi everyone!
I haven’t had as much time to practice this month so I’ve been working on a few songs from the beginners set within the Pathway course, but mostly cleaning up the Chunking Etude and trying to bring it up to speed. This is where I am now. I know I posted my progress on this song last month too, so if I need a different song for this challenge I can post my current progress on the Travis Picking (which needs more work…) or Finger Picking Etude No 37 (which I just absolutely love to play, and it’s been a good exercise to go back to this when working on the Travis picking and switching between the patterns).
I am a premium member.
Caryn
July 31, 2026 at 11:06 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $549 Kala Ukulele #84032carynjoy
ParticipantI am a premium member.
Like others I was also cruising through until I hit the Chunking Etude and I still need to work on it some more… so I have two videos!
For the challenge, I just stuck to the Strumming the Blues lesson because I enjoy playing it.
And to hold myself accountable and just show my current progress I also recorded where I am with the Chunking Etude right now as well. I’m actually incredibly happy with this recording for where I am but I’m still pretty inconsistent with this piece so it definitely needs more work.
Caryn
carynjoy
ParticipantThanks for the fast response Andrew! Sounds totally reasonable that I was misdiagnosing.
I try to practice with a metronome or the Tab Viewer, but I can definitely do that more consistently. And also slow down to a speed where I can keep that section really on time before speeding up.
Perhaps related, I am also not very good at playing and listening at the same time while I’m actively thinking about the chord changes and strumming pattern. Lol. So I’ll also work on consciously listening a bit more as part of my practice routine, and reviewing my recordings (I take a lot of audio recordings but don’t always listen to them…).
Your feedback is very much appreciated!
carynjoy
ParticipantThanks Andrew! Here’s a quick video:
July 14, 2026 at 10:06 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $549 Kala Ukulele #83819carynjoy
Participant@mickan88 Yes! That measure 4 (and again 8)! I had to slow down so much I couldn’t really feel the tune anymore (I think I took it down to 45 bpm) but that helped me figure out the mechanics of how I had to move my fretting hand. And building up speed slowly I now I think I’m okay-ish on the A melody (still slow though). Today, I started looking ahead to the B melody, and measures 11-12 are also a doozy and I was back at 40-45 bpm again just counting and repeating. I’m hopeful though!
July 11, 2026 at 4:56 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $549 Kala Ukulele #83757carynjoy
Participant@annyuke, oh no sorry to hear about your previous uke!! The new one sounds great.
Lovely entries so far! @mickan88 that fingerpicking etude is very beautiful and was lovely to listen to your entry. And @planetfink well done, you’re inspiring me to keep at it!
The Beginner Song 4, the Chunking Etude, will be my song this month. It’s pretty and, I could use a nice go to chunking song, and the chord changes mid-measure are really throwing me off so I’m learning to slow down and work measure-by-measure. With another 2 weeks I’m confident I’ll be able to get through the whole piece. 🙂
Good luck everyone!
June 25, 2026 at 9:09 pm in reply to: Participate in the June 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $2,095 Kanile’a Ukulele #83278carynjoy
ParticipantHi folks!
Here where I am currently with La Vie En Rose. Definitely needs some more work, but this is the best I’ve got for many takes. And my little pinky pinky is flying all over the place… I need to work on that in addition to all the other stuff, LOL! I love this song so I’ll definitely keep working on it. 🙂
Caryn
I am a premium member.
June 11, 2026 at 10:08 pm in reply to: Participate in the June 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $2,095 Kanile’a Ukulele #82741carynjoy
Participant@misterbones that was lovely to listen to, well done!
And @annyuke also great job for 5 months playing and 10 days on this song!
I have been waffling and I am nervous about La Vie En Rose but I just love that song. A version of that song, a simple chord strumming version, has been one of my go-tos for a while to just play around with, so learning a chord melody version would be great. It won’t be perfect, but reading @misterbones’ comment about trying songs that feel a little beyond current ability is what I needed to see to make a decision and just go for it. I’m putting it out here now to work on La Vie En Rose this month to hold myself accountable and we’ll see how far I can get!
-Caryn
May 26, 2026 at 8:39 pm in reply to: Participate in the May 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $2,095 Kanile’a Ukulele #82319 -
AuthorPosts