Participate in the April 2020 Member Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2020 Member Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 345 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

“comments are turned off for this video”……haha JK. Fire away!

magnuselvar

I am a premium member

I didn’t have much time to practice. I just joined the site. But this is what I got. I’ll have to work on the timing.

santai
    Participant

I enjoyed Loke Lani for two reasons: practicing the triplet strum and a nice fingerpicking part!
    I loved this challenge. 🙂

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

leosteelz0
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Thank you for this wonderful challenge! I chose Loke Lani, I’m a beginner so it’s not perfect but I had a lot of fun learning it and I hope you’ll enjoy!

leosteelz0
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

This is my second entry for Loke Lani. Thank you again for this fun challenge!

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Fun as always, thanks for the challenge.

akichman

Premium member
    I joined the premium member on April 12th because of this challenge. It motivates me to practice A LOT! This is my first post~

cloud_cactus
    Participant

Aloha!!! I am so happy that this months theme was hawaiian because I love hawaiian music! However, I definitely didn’t practice as much as I should have. I am going to practice more next month for sure! Sadly, I made quite a few mistakes in this piece, but here is my entry of Hone A Ka Wai.
    -Brinley

golf39

Here is Bodysurfing played to the 75% backing track. What a fun tune and I’m enjoying listening to all the songs this month. Great motivation.

I am a premium member.

gardn_gnome
    Participant

Hey All,

Here’s my attempt at Day-O … I had a lot of fun learning it and I know I’ll keep working on it since there’s lots still to do for me. Anyway … time’s up so here it is.

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

joannetala

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I’ve been practicing this Hawaiian song. The tripelet part was initially tricky, but I hope I did an okay job at it. I liked doing the Day-O song and actually found time to practice that one as well, but I had to pick one and picked Loki Lani :-).

Wishing everone who’s participating in this challenge good luck as well!!

mac1984
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

My far from perfect performance of Loke Lani:

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted. Hello again!

I’m a premium member.

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 14:

peiching – You are doing a great job with this one! Your playing is in time, and you are hitting the notes well! One question I have is do you know what is causing the squeaky sound on your ukulele? It might be that your fingers are causing it by brushing along the strings to slowly, or the strings might be sticky. If it’s not this, then there might be a small adjustment that you can make on your ukulele. The only other suggestion I have is to work a bit more on getting the harmonics to ring out clearer and longer. Make sure that you aren’t accidentally muting the string anywhere with either hand after hitting the harmonic. Keep up the great work, these are just minor details.

jkulele – Very nicely done! You’ve got the notes down, and most of the tricky shifts! There are just a few spots within measures 13-15 that could benefit from looping these measures at a slower tempo. The main reason to do this is for the shifts and the harmonic. You’re very close, just a little more work and you’ll have it performance ready!

planetfink – Nice playing on this! Every now and then you are getting ever so slightly ahead of the backing track on a few phrases. Just as an experiment, try playing through the song as ultra laid back as possible, seeing if you can play each melody note ever so slightly after where you hear it going. Then you might find it easier to keep the relaxed feel through the faster sections. Everything else sounds great on this!

yooki-h – You are playing this one very well! I like that you crescendo into certain phrases! I think it’s a nice effect, and normally I tell people to exaggerate this like you did. For you, I recommend making it just a tiny bit more subtle, as it seemed to be too much for your microphone in one spot, and to gradually get quieter out of these sections rather than dropping down in volume very quickly. This is just my interpretation of the piece, through. Your playing was excellent on this!

ccwuke – Great job performing both tracks! You are very close on this one, it’s just a matter of locking in the timing. I recommend playing a bit slower and isolating the tricky sections. You can loop certain measures slowly until the muscle memory helps your consistency on the repetitious harmonized parts especially. Still, excellent work…I can tell you put a lot of time into this one!

johnnyquickpants
    Participant

Again, I’ve waited until the last minute to submit for this challenge. I’m a premium member.
    Some self-critique: a couple of stumbles. Wasn’t having a great day, and after the 87th take, I was getting worse instead of better. I chose this song because I like it, it seemed the right level to push me, and it forces me to stretch my left hand (Loads of scar tissue make certain positions challenging). I had hoped to be better at it by now, but here we are. I need to focus on a couple of stumbling blocks and trying to make things more crisp. Sorry for the sound. We are trapped in a tiny apartment without most of our things, but we are making do in this quarantine. It’s the best I could make happen for our current situation. And thanks for doing this. I love these songs and these challenges motivate me to practice (though the wife could do without hearing me practice the same song over and over. Anyhow, here it is!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by johnnyquickpants.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Andrew.
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 345 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.