Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    annefgodfrey
    Participant

Andrew, this post is not for critique. Just want to show you that I am trying so hard to learn to play without hesitation, trembling hands & “noise” as I transition from chord to chord. Looking forward to lesson about playing with finesse.

Entries this month are amazing! So much talent & hard work by members. Best wishes, everyone!

abaluyot
    Participant

Wow! Congratulations @planetfink! That was beautiful. Love your uke too!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@annefgodfrey – sounds great! I’d slow down the tempo and focus on connecting the entire A melody, no pauses or hesitations. Then when you get comfortable at a slower speed, increase by 5 or 10 bpm.

smudge
    Participant

I am a premium member. Thanks for the challenge!

jinajupiter
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Yihaaaa so happy with my progress! After one and a half month of Ukulele. Thanks to Rock Class!
    I changed the bridge a bit so I can jam along with the Beatles if I put the capo on the 2nd fret. Although that is a bit Ukulele unfriendly and harder to play Bb instead of C.
    I hope that is ok for this challenge. If not I am also practicing When I’m 64.
    The fast strums at the end of the bridge I messed up.
    Further the tapping of my foot made the spoon in my tea cup ring, sorry for that.

rickeymike
    Participant

Jina- You’re shining along with the sun!

jinajupiter
    Participant

Thank you Ricky, the Sun was almost setting after my so maniest take. About how many takes do you guys make before posting?

Andrew
    Keymaster

nthibode – Beautiful playing and great feel! Keep up the excellent work, Nathalie 🙂

brettboy – Wow, Brett! I love your groove and you nailed the transition into the Refrain. To me, that transition is the emotional climax of the song. So getting that transition down is key, major props there.

The only thing I suggest working on is the end of that section (last 2 bars). It sounds like you added a couple extra beats, so go back and tidy that up. But overall, that was killer!

en_joy – Here’s a video with my tips for you.

smudge – Here’s a video to help you out with timing. In the video, I talk a lot about counting rhythms. Check out our reading course, as it will lay down the foundation for approaching practicing this way.

jinajupiter – Rickey’s right, that was awesome! Great understanding of the rhythm/timing. Love that you tapped along. 🙂 Keep up the excellent work!

nthibode

That was beautiful, @jinajupiter! I really enjoyed it.

Always been a fan of your work, @brettboy, since I joined in December and saw your playing of We Three Kings. Keep it coming!

Thanks Andrew!! The monthly challenges keep me motivated and working hard. Love them!

All the best,
    ~Nathalie

robinboyd
    Participant

@jinajupiter – The number of takes varies. I used to to a lot of takes, but I’ve realised that after about 3 takes I start sabotaging myself, so I’ve started to try to record a few days before the deadline and if it’s not working after 3 takes then I just stop and try again the next day.

rickeymike
    Participant

I’m with Robin – I try to get most in one or two takes but if I keep messing up, I usually walk away and try another time. Small errors, I ignore and just wait for Andrew’s Silver Hammer to fall. LOL

lisadmh
    Participant

I do dozens of takes trying to get the mistakes out. That’s probably one of the reasons Andrew points out how uptight I always look. My early takes always suck though. I can’t even tie my shoes in just three takes….

twizzler
    Participant

Hey all,
    Here is my submission.
    Right Here.

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

This is only my fourth song on the ukulele! Apologies in advance as it’s a bit rough.
    But this is a great way to push me on and this song is much longer and more difficult than last months so despite all I know I am improving.
    Things I’ve learned:
    1. I get horrible stage fright even playing in front of a phone. It causes me to forget fingerings that I have practiced over and over again an it caused me to feel lost in the music a couple of times so I am going to work on that.
    2. I need to start using my metronome more. I’m only just getting good enough on this piece to be able to start using it and improve the rhythm and flow.
    3. I need more time to practice. But never mind, I’m loving the journey!

Thank you for all your help!

johanna2509
    Participant

Hey all! This is my entry for the May Challenge. Again I had so much fun learning it, the song got stuck in my head so fast 🙂 Still it’s not perfect, especially towards the end I made a few small mistakes, because I was so nervous making it this far through the song without messing it up. I tried to avoid weird left hand shapes as mentioned in the last feedback, I think it is at least a little bit better than last time.
    Have a nice day!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 278 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.