Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
AndrewKeymasterProper holding is covered in our Beginner’s Course, as well as the other lesson you mentioned: Proper Left Hand Form. Here are the links:
1) proper left hand form
2) how to hold the Uke (from our Beginners Course)Could you post a video of you playing and going from form 1 to 2. I’ll be better able to help if I can see what you are doing.
November 8, 2019 at 12:34 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #33487
AndrewKeymasterjohanna2509 – Great job! Fingerpicking sounds good, but I’d slow down the strumming section and focus on transitioning to each chord while keeping the timing steady. I don’t think it will take much work to accomplish this, you have it down pretty well already π
So you ask an interesting question: However, I have one question: In Matts playing, the melody note on the a string, even on the higher frets, really pops out, how does he do that?
The answer is, it’s an illusion. It’s not really the A string that he’s accenting, rather it’s the entire chord. If you listen to his performance and watch closely, notice how he accents (hits harder) each beat (chord) where the melody note falls.
So to do this, I’d recommend singing the melody while strumming, and strumming harder on those beats. That will make the melody pop.
November 8, 2019 at 11:08 am in reply to: Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge β WIN a CUSTOM Kanileβa! #33477November 7, 2019 at 4:05 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #33470
AndrewKeymaster@turkgoose – wow! TY so much. Really appreciate it. Means a lot to me π
AndrewKeymasterLooks like you ran out of room for your hand: large hands, small instrument.
Try a partial barre for that position: 0 11 10 10
AndrewKeymasterThat uke has a nice tone! That white noise happens because you raised the volume. To alleviate this, you must find the correct setting on your audio interface, so that it records at a loud enough volume from the get-go, without having to be boosted in post-production.
November 6, 2019 at 6:10 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #33460
AndrewKeymasterdeadbuggy – Very cool! I like the subtle melody lines you threw in. My advice is to continue to work on fine-tuning the finesse of phrases and transitions. Let me point out an example. Listen to the walk-up melody line from 48 seconds to 50. Contrast that to the same line at 2:23.
The latter has a soft, delicate timbre; while the former is the opposite. So I’d be listening back to your performance and noting spots that stand out like this. Thats what I’d be targeting in your practice.
turkgoose – Well done and thank you for the kind words! I think you’re doing just fine on the chord changes. What I’d work on is keeping both sections at the same tempo. If you listen back, you can hear the fingerpicking section is much quicker than the strumming. So I’d slow down the former to match the speed of the latter. Work on uniformly increasing the tempo for both. Keep up the great work!
November 5, 2019 at 11:43 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #33455
AndrewKeymaster@andracass – Way to go, MT! Fantastic performance! I agree, it is a toughie for jumping up and down the neck on. And I think what’s hard about it, is that you are bouncing between form 1 and 2; and it would be so much easier if it was only the latter. But I don’t see any noticeable dipping of the neck or body, so I think you are doing well on this front.
Honestly, the only advice I can offer you for this performance, is to work on keeping the timing steadier. Which the best ways to do this, is to break it into pieces and focus on one section at a time. Keep up the great work!
AndrewKeymasterI’ve always bought Hercules. The clips close upwards when the instrument is placed on it. Which helps add more piece of mind.
AndrewKeymasterWay to go, Brian!
November 3, 2019 at 5:14 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #33377
AndrewKeymaster@oldan_ – Thanks for the kind words! I look forward to watching your performance π
November 3, 2019 at 11:32 am in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #33371
AndrewKeymaster@givingtree89 – You deleted your comment/question. Did you figure it out?
November 2, 2019 at 5:45 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #33358
AndrewKeymaster@oldan_ – I’d simplify the strum technique and count the rhythms as you play. Try this:
November 2, 2019 at 11:12 am in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #33347
AndrewKeymaster@lildevil – So about that. It’s 19 pages, because I had to use a different style (or layout) format. The problem was the song has 96 or 98 chords and guitar pro (program we notate in) couldn’t handle it! LOL you should have seen page 1, where chord diagrams are normally shown in our music. It was a mess, the charts were appearing halfway on/off the page.
Check out @givingtree89’s idea. Maybe record 1 part at a time and piece it together.
@givingtree89 – totally fine!
@surfnrz – No. Lesson’s are taught without one. Capo made it too hard for me. I didn’t know what fret I was on with all the crazy jumps and the frets got too small on a concert for my hand. No capo is much easier IMO.November 1, 2019 at 8:53 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #33337 -
AuthorPosts