Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 3,076 through 3,090 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here is everyone on page 3.

    hafeez3115 – great job! So you mentioned working towards cleaning it up a bit, which is great as you’ve recognized what your practice should be focused on. Specifically, I would target barre chords. There are generally two reasons that a barre chord does not ring out properly:

    1) finger strength – not enough is applied.
    2) form – incorrectly applied.

    We dive into both of these areas (in complete detail) in our Beginners Course lesson on Barre Chords. Review that lesson and see if you can apply these tips to help clean up the chords.

    planetfink – I loved your performance! Your passion comes through on the instrument and your voice πŸ™‚ One helpful tip, for the D barre chord, try to keep your index finger straight when barring. It will provide leverage, making the melody notes you play out of the chord easier to do. Check out that lesson I linked above for, Hafeez, if you want to check out our tips for barre chords. Keep up the great work!

    leahwoosley – well done, Leah! My 1 tip for you is to focus more on sustain. In my previous feedback post, I made a video for another member detailing a big tip for working on this.

    edward – great playing, Edward! Your playing produces a lovely tone. So what I would focus on in your practicing, is timing. Take 4 bars at a time and play along with the metronome or the tab viewer. Master that, then take the next four bars and piece it together. Apply this concept throughout the entire song. It’s a great way to target and develop timing.

    timolnz – I agree, it was trickier than it appeared, but I thought you did a good job. One thing that I would suggest, is to think about the way that you performed it – which was the topic of this lesson. In my opinion, this is a song that has a soft attack, paired to a relaxed feel. So when I listened to your performance, I’m hearing a strong attack with a brisk tempo. Interpretation of the music is always up to the performer, but these are my thoughts and a reflection of how I would approach it.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here is everyone on page 2:

    jakeypoo – beautiful performance! Great timing and laid-back feel. The only critique I have is that sometimes a few notes went sharp in some of the chords (for ex. 40 seconds in). It’s hard to see from the angle, but it’s pretty safe to say that it’s due to pulling strings down when fretting chords. Try to keep the strings parallel at all times to avoid this.

    rickkhan – well done, rick! Your feel sounds great on this tune. As you’ve already pointed out, timing is the main area that you want to focus on. Take a four bar phrase and play along with a metronome or the tab player, but don’t move on until you have it perfect. Then tackle the next phrase, then piece them together. Also, try to move your thumb down, more-so towards slightly above the middle of the neck.

    deadbuggy – very creative and I love the swing feel πŸ™‚ Maybe this year I’ll take a swing at arranging, “What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve”. I’ve always loved that tune!

    mheiden – well done with the sustain! I have one suggestion for you on strum attack:

    laurasil – fantastic performance! I have no critiques, you knocked that one out of the park πŸ™‚

    ukuleleluke – here is a short video with some feedback for you.

    in reply to: The Chicken u-bass line! #22019
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Lisa, I sent this to Stephen. Maybe he can provide assistance.

    in reply to: Help Us Plan Our Lesson Curriculum for 2019! #22018
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @miztaken we play Thur @ 1pm and Fri @ 11am. We’re planning to shoot a vlog, so yes there will be snippets of the performances!

    in reply to: Help Us Plan Our Lesson Curriculum for 2019! #22008
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    We’re happy to try the linked names for December πŸ™‚

    Rickey, the course was much more work than anticipated, plus I’m preparing for our performance at NAMM. So Feedback was put on the back burner last month.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @sprintingyogini oh that was one of the first ones I wrote for the site. I remember writing it, was a lot of fun!

    in reply to: Help Us Plan Our Lesson Curriculum for 2019! #21998
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    lisadmh – Feedback for Lisa.

    The above is the best idea I have. What do you guys think?

    in reply to: Help Us Plan Our Lesson Curriculum for 2019! #21992
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Good idea, Rickey! Lately, we’ve been publishing folks that are all contained on one page. This way, you can open up a new tab, with just that pages performances on it.

    There isn’t much functionality that can be done for this forum, besides re-pasting the performance with the feedback. But, that may become a bit cumbersome.

    in reply to: Help Us Plan Our Lesson Curriculum for 2019! #21986
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I want to touch on a couple things. Stephen and I have actually talked about doing “Dueling Banjos”. We definitely want to do it, we just haven’t gotten to it yet, but it definitely will happen. Seeing as there’s an interest, I’ll make it more of a priority.

    Speaking of requests, I forgot to add this in the main post, but I’d like to start letting you guys vote on which songs we arrange. The request list is beyond huge, and in the past I’ve picked songs that have been requested multiple times. But it’s ballooned past this, so voting on a song seems like a lot of fun and a logical way to make more folks happy.

    I’m not sure on the frequency of the voting, but I’ll see if we can get something started for this around Spring. Most likely, it will be themed (for ex: movie themes) and you guys vote on 4 choices.

    Back to banjos, that’s an instrument that requires specific technique. Stephen has more rhythm technique that is translatable to that instrument, so I’ll see that the next one he does for us can feature some of this. πŸ™‚

    —

    Baritone – this is something I will not be tackling this year. There just was not enough demand when I surveyed folks in Dec ’17 (link above). I do want to add lessons for it at some point, but we will be at least a year or two out from that.

    —

    Roy Smeck – I was working on bringing in someone that plays this style. Things didn’t work out, but I’ll see what I can do. I love this playing style, but I’d love to bring in someone that can do it (and teach it) authentically.

    —

    Another course idea: Teach the subtleties of playing, things like: how or when notes/chords are meant to be articulated (for example, with staccato [detached, short notes] or accents [notes played boldly]), or if dynamics (degrees of volume) are to be used. In other words, teaching how to put “feeling” and expression into your playing.

    I think this would make for a really interesting course πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Forgot to mention: This was enough money to donate 46 ukuleles!! AMAZING!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    WE DID IT! WE RAISED $1,841.47 for The Ukulele Kids Club! Thanks to everyone who participated (over 85 members!) and donated in our December Challenge.

    Together, WE GAVE the gift of music to children in need.

    —-

    We’re going to start leaving feedback for everyone today. With so many posts, we’ll be leaving feedback for just your first performance, if you posted more than once.

    I wish everyone a Happy New Year and hope to see you in our January challenge: https://rockclass101.com/january-2019-challenge

    in reply to: D chord fingering #21955
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    9/10 I play it like you. Just comes down to personal preference and/or depending on the context of the material.

    in reply to: Hello from Bahrain! #21881
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, Sam! Awesome to read your story and I feel honored to help you achieve the dream. If you ever need help on the lessons, don’t hesitate to post here or email me πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    4 of them will be 2 uke parts. BourrΓ©e will be uke + u-bass πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    LOL! There will be 5 new performance tunes, each presented as a duet. πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 3,076 through 3,090 (of 4,195 total)