November 29, 2017 at 12:22 pm #14811
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with site member challenge #10! Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
This month we are teaming up with The Ukulele Kids Club. They are a charity that is doing amazing things! Their mission is to harness the healing power of music by supporting music therapy programs and gifting ukuleles to hospital-based music therapy programs so that children in need can be sent home with the gift of music for life.
Together, you and I can help donate ukuleles to children in need! Here’s how it will work:
I will be donating $5 for each entry that comes in this month, up to $250. So that means, that our participation goal for this month is 50 members. When we hit 50 members participating in this month’s challenge, Mike from Uke Republic will be donating an ukulele to the charity too!
I also want to go a step further and ask that if you have the means available to please match my donation of $5. This means, that together we could raise $500 for the charity! That would be enough money to purchase 12 ukuleles at $40 a piece. If you do donate, please let me know! When you submit your audio or video performance, please leave a message saying that you did 🙂
You can donate directly on their site: https://theukc.org/donations/. This donation page supports U.S. Hospitals. If you live in Canada or the U.K., you can find links to donate to that region in the footer of their website.
Here is a short video which dives deeper into some of the great work The Ukulele Kids Club is doing 🙂
Preview the Audio for all 13 Songs on One Page HERE.
Pick 1 from the following 13 Rock Class 101 Holiday Lessons:
1) Baby, It’s Cold Outside (VOCAL) – FREE Tab & FREE Complete Lesson
2) Silent Night
3) Jingle Bells – FREE Complete Lesson
4) I Have a Little Dreidel – FREE Complete Lesson
11) Linus and Lucy
13) O Holy Night
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginners: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast, slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: Baby, It’s Cold Outside (VOCAL) or Silent Night
2. Intermediate Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: Jingle Bells, I Have a Little Dreidel, Jingle Bell Rock, O’ Christmas Tree, The Little Drummer Boy, We Three Kings
3. Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: Auld Lang Syne (New Year’s Song), Frosty The Snowman, Linus and Lucy, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, O Holy Night
4. Participation Goal: 50 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 13 Holiday pieces anytime between Friday, December 1st till Sunday, December 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on January 5th, 2018. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) Custom Song Arrangement of Your Choice! I will write an arrangement of a song you choose and release it as a weekly lesson for Rock Class 101, complete with Tabs, video tutorial, and the on-screen tab viewer. One catch: we must agree on the song: a.k.a – I think it would be possible for me to arrange 🙂 So be thinking of 5 songs to send me and I can choose 1 that I could arrange well.
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
The Ukulele Kids Club: https://theukc.org/
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
Let’s crush this challenge and give the gift of music to some AMAZING children!November 29, 2017 at 2:21 pm #14812carmeloukesParticipant
A post shared by Carmelo (@instacarmelo) on
I donated 🙂November 29, 2017 at 8:08 pm #14823lisadmhParticipant
I’m not much of one to celebrate the holidays, but I will learn jingle bells for such a worthy cause. Great challenge set up, Andrew!
C’mon, y’all. Let’s spread the joy of the ukulele to kids in need.
And I *love* the member prize too. I’m already making my list (and vetoing my boyfriend’s suggestions) just in case I win – please, please, please!November 30, 2017 at 11:40 am #14827
I received an email last night from a member who wished to remain anonymous but has donated $50 to the charity 🙂 Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are going to make a child so happy! If anyone else wishes to donate anonymously, please feel free to email me.November 30, 2017 at 3:12 pm #14832lisamccParticipant
What a lovely challenge Andrew! Well done! Come on all – let’s get at least 50 of us participating! (The prize is cool too) 😉November 30, 2017 at 6:29 pm #14834
What a great idea and challenge Andrew, count on me.
I had the very good fortune to have my name pulled for the second Taimane Uke last month and I am a firm believer in paying kindness forward.
You , Mike, and Tainane made that drawing special so it’s time to step up.
I have made a $200 donation to this great effort. A scan of the list of hospitals linked to his program to say the least is inspiring. Kids across the US and I even saw many international sites are helping children heal through music.
A few years back I had an overnight stay in a hospital when the sound of a uke being played floated down the hall during the evening rounds. It was a comforting sound amoungst the noise commonly found there. In walked my Doc, uke in hand, who discussed my condition. When I asked him about his unusual bedside manner he described how just sturming soft notes made every patient more at ease and comfortable when they were facing far too often hard conversations about their health.
I am pleased and humbled by being able to pay this forward. Thanks again for putting it together and for the comfort in knowing that a few more smiles and soft music will will flow outward amount the other noises of healing.
May you, Mike, and all of the RockClass 101 community enjoy the Merriest of ChristmasesDecember 1, 2017 at 2:32 am #14837kayleighbParticipant
Such an amazing challenge this month. I’m not aware of the cause as it is not here in the UK so having had a look at the amazing work they do it is the perfect challenge for the christmas season.
Wow, Chipkk you are amazing! I actually got goosebumps reading your post.December 1, 2017 at 5:57 pm #14848
Chip, thank you SO much for your generosity. You are going to make so many kids happy 🙂 Thank you and Merry Christmas!
Kay, they do have a U.K. chapter, here is the link: https://uk.theukc.org/December 1, 2017 at 9:13 pm #14856
Hi Kay, look at the hospital list on their web site. I think you will be very impressed with the footprint this program has not only in US, but also in Canada and the United Kingdom. Looking at the list convinced me of the value of this charity and the impact it is having.
ChipDecember 1, 2017 at 9:29 pm #14857jamespMember
I’m relatively new to Rock 101 and just don’t feel I’m up for this months
Challenge. But I did contribute $10 to the Ukes for Kids fund raiser. I think it is a fine program so thanks for putting this out there, I would have never been aware of this without Rock 101!
JamesPDecember 2, 2017 at 4:53 am #14858kayleighbParticipant
Thanks Andrew & Chip. I never realised that, I thought they were US based. Looking at the hospital list they are in Harefield where as a teenager I had heart surgery. I might get in contact with them outside of here as they are not yet in Manchester and see if there is anything we can do to get them into St Mary’s which is our local children’s hospital.December 2, 2017 at 6:16 am #14859rickeymikeParticipant
Merry Christmas and holiday season to all the RockClass community. I would like to pledge a dollar for every entrance to this month’s challenge up to one hundred entries. I’ll leave it up to Andrew to give the official final count of participants.
Sincerely, RickeyDecember 2, 2017 at 10:49 am #14861
Way to go Rickey, that’s a very generous contribution. A very Merry Christmas to you, your family, and your friends.December 2, 2017 at 5:14 pm #14863
Rickey, since this charity purchases Ukes for $40 if you get to make the $100 donation I will kick in the extra $20 so that the donation becomes 3 Ukes for a kid in need.December 2, 2017 at 6:15 pm #14864rickeymikeParticipant
Chip, That’s more than generous of you. So come on community and let’s drown Andrew in challenge posts this month.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.