Participate in the November 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a

Viewing 14 posts - 166 through 179 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    puppylovesuke
    Participant

Luigi’s Mansion theme

Premium member

What a fun song looking forward to getting it down eventually.

acornjasper

(premium member) I Studied Fairy Fountain this month.

I have had the upload crash twice already while trying to upload, and I’m trying again.

here’s the link:

Hope this one makes it!

puppylovesuke
    Participant

Edit: …didn’t have time to learn harmonics but at least I got through the song finally without stopping

puppylovesuke
    Participant

June2020,
    I like the way you played this, almost has a Hall of the mountain king vibe at parts. Inspired me to play around with it, very cool!

leb397
    Participant

Another challenge done. So impressed with entries and stories of struggle. I’ve watched every one. So many stand out. The duets were impressive. Extra kudos to one on the last by @sarrafina. So pretty. Congrats everyone. Louisa

jbmills07
    Participant

@Andrew Thank you for the feedback! It’s very encouraging!

richard_siegert
    Participant

I forgot to mention, that I am a premium member… again. I am very late, but it would be lovely if you can add it.

lynnzo
    Participant

Aha, thank you Andrew that makes good sense.

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 10:

@june2020
    – You are off to a great start on this one. You are playing the notes well, and now it’s time to look at the rhythm. Are you familiar with reading the notation for rhythm? If not, try using the rhythm portion of the “An Introduction to Reading Standard Notation” course here. If you would rather learn the rhythm by ear, try playing along with the on screen tab player at 75% speed. You’re doing great, keep it up!

@sarahd
    – Very nice job on this one! You are doing a great job of playing fairly legato (smoothly) on this one. Every now and then, it might help to leave certain fingers down like in measure 5, you don’t have to lift the finger playing the 7th fret in order to play the 8th. Nice playing and rhythm on this one!

@jayton
    – You are doing great on this one, and already know exactly what to work on to make it even better. It might help to take a deep breath after starting the playback or to make sure to breathe on beat 3 in measure 3 to not cut that half note short. You’re playing well after that point. Great job!

@lyndallk
    – I love your musicality on this one. You do a great job of swelling into each phrase, and swaying with the beat is something I often suggest to help others feel the music like you are. Excellent work on this one, especially with the challenge of the higher fretted notes!

@janaq1
    – Wonderful job on this one! You captured the feel of the piece very well and played all of the notes very cleanly. Fantastic job all around!

@pika80019
    – You are doing a great job on this one. You have a good feel and kept a steady tempo on each section. Try isolating the short walk up at 1:21 to get a bit smoother on that one spot, then you have everything down. Keep up the great work!

@nosferatu
    – Very nicely played! You got all of the notes and rhythms, and kept a fairly steady tempo throughout. The fast runs in this song are tricky, and the best way to get better at them is to loop just that one spot over and over to build endurance and consistency at faster tempos. This will allow you to play the whole song slightly faster without slowing down in those spots. You’re doing great, keep it up!

@cimarronsailor
    – You are playing this one great! As far as intonation, it’s hard to tell how much is the instrument and how much is in the playing. If it’s playing related at all, it’s about pushing the string down directly and making sure you aren’t bending the string when trying to reach it with weaker fingers like the pinky and ring finger. However, if the note is slightly flat, you might be able to purposely bend the note up to play it in tune (if it is the instrument in this case).

@mkstewart67
    – Great job on this one! As far as clarity from pushing the fretting hand notes down, sometimes it’s about making sure they are reaching far enough forward on the fret. If your finger is too far back in the fret (closer to the headstock side than the body side of the square between 2 frets), you will have to push down harder than if it is closer to the fret the body side. For example, at 0:47 into this performance, your middle finger is too far back in the fret. In this case it sounds muted , while it would ring clear with the same amount of pressure if it was more forward (slide it slightly to the right). It’s hard to explain in words, but hopefully that example helps. You are doing an excellent job, keep it up!

@sir_anzalot
    – You are doing an excellent job on the notes on this one. The rhythm is a bit different, though this still sounds good. The first note goes by a bit quicker, and for this song we count to 3 instead of to 4. The rhythm notated in the first measure is “one and two and three ” while your version is “one two and three four.” Try playing it along with the tab player and this will make more sense. It sounds good this way, but it is a slightly different version. If you are playing it this way on purpose, disregard this feedback.

@jody_hendrickson
    – You are off to a fantastic start! You have the notes down, so now that you don’t have the time constraint, you can work on the musicality. One thing that helps is to breathe with the song, and swell your volume into each phrase. On Melody C, Steven even swells into tempo along with the volume. After starting that section, then he mostly just swells the volume into and out of each measure. You’re doing a great job, and I hope you have time to try this out.

@concan
    – Very nice job on this one! You’ve got the timing down and you are playing the notes cleanly. Keep up the great work!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 11.

@leslieb
    – Great job, Leslie! I think you have a great base established, so from here I would work on two bars at a time. Focus on timing and memorizing. I also want you to aim for 70% speed as you play along with Matt in the tab player.

@santai
    – Beautiful playing, Marvin! I think a little more practice will smooth out some of the very minor flubs. But it was great overall, awesome job this month!

@jlbross
    – Awesome performance, Jennifer! Timing was spot-on! If you listen back to your performance starting at 12 seconds. The first time you play the three notes in the barre chord, they ring clear. The second time, we hear the twang on the A string.

That twang happens primarily on the A string the other times you’re playing those three notes in the barre. Your form looks good, so I would say it’s probably a strength issue. As in, not pushing hard enough.

@dermango
    – Fingerpicking sounds great as was the overall performance! Beautifully done! I do want to share one idea with you. I noticed that the majority of your chord hits were done using the arpeggiated plucking method.

Which is really cool, but when you use the same approach a lot, it loses a little bit of its appeal. Check out this video that I made a few years ago for another member on this song. It talks about how you can use multiple strum approaches to add color and variation.

@addilein
    – Bravo! Excellent performance 🙂

@digbybare
    – Holding form looks great! I’m actually surprised you can play this song without a strap while standing up. I certainly wouldn’t want to try with all those crazy stretch chords and jumps lol.

I was really impressed with your performance. I don’t have any critiques other than to say keep doing what you’re doing. Excellent job this month!

@kdeacon7
    – Great performance and I love the lightning strike at the end! You had a very creative work around for the barre chord, but I’d encourage you to work on barring. It’s a very useful skill to develop. 

You may also want to re-watch the lesson video and give the fingering suggestions I offer a shot for the section that happens after the barre. It might make that transition (barre to single note melody) a bit easier to play 🙂

@omaon4
    – Excellent performance, Helga! Timing was spot-on! You had a very creative work around for the barre chord, but I’d encourage you to work on barring. It’s a very useful skill to develop.

@lynettejd
    – Beautiful performance! One thing I noticed is there is a bit of open string noise in between chords and phrases. Since you posted an audio performance, it’s hard for me to figure out what’s causing this. If you can post a video, I’d be happy to watch it and offer feedback on how to eliminate unwanted string noises.

@felixhchan
    – Excellent performance, Felix! One thing I want you to try is playing along with Matt in the tab player. His playing will act as a guide and keep you a little bit more steady overall. Try one section at a time, like the first four bars.

Record yourself and listen back. Try to match him as best you can.

@uku241
    – Bravo! I just sent it to AJ to watch. He’s going to love it! You guys did so well! And I loved the ending lol

@k_ra11
    – Beautiful pacing. A lovely performance overall. Well done!

@sarrafina
    – It makes me so happy to hear the improvement in your timing and your understanding of rhythm. This performance was truly spectacular. I, and many other folks on this site, are excited to watch your growth as a musician.

Here’s everyone on page 12.

@puppylovesuke
    – Great performance, David! Sounds like you need just a little more practice to get the muscle memory down for that B Melody. But overall, it was awesome! Keep up the great work!

@acornjasper
    – Beautifully played, Kelly!

Unfortunately, you submitted past our deadline so we won’t be able to give you an entry for the prize. I tried to give everyone a friendly reminder on the 30th. But the good news is there is 1 more chance to win! Hope you join us in December

Andrew
    Keymaster

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED THIS MONTH! WE HAD 90 ENTRIES! YOU GUYS ROCK!

Hope to see everyone in our December Challenge. December is your LAST CHANCE to win the Kanile’a!

Here is a list of everyone who participated. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

——

johanna2509
    johanna2509
    clempek
    clempek
    samash07
    samash07
    madz_about_uke
    madz_about_uke
    deadbuggy
    deadbuggy
    mark65536
    mark65536
    rebeca
    rebeca
    katazumiri
    katazumiri
    shmu88
    shmu88
    ukandoit
    ukandoit
    zongozongo
    zongozongo
    misterbones
    misterbones
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    laurakarr12
    laurakarr12
    mkstewart67
    mkstewart67
    gmflin8
    gmflin8
    leb397
    leb397
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    lbilkie
    lbilkie
    rafaela
    rafaela
    jgillard
    jgillard
    barbecueblack
    barbecueblack
    gstriph
    gstriph
    jedart
    jedart
    dianna
    dianna
    laurajax
    laurajax
    ukandrea
    ukandrea
    joe150
    joe150
    marlongas
    marlongas
    brettboy
    brettboy
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    kidelozzi
    kidelozzi
    jebergeron
    jebergeron
    gi_gi_
    gi_gi_
    evapaju
    evapaju
    akukes73
    akukes73
    just-in
    just-in
    mark1256
    mark1256
    suekulele
    suekulele
    terryfallon3
    terryfallon3
    ilk3000
    ilk3000
    bibilele
    bibilele
    ldarrow
    ldarrow
    ukealori
    ukealori
    nelsonlin2021
    nelsonlin2021
    olemartin
    olemartin
    yukalele
    yukalele
    lynnzo
    lynnzo
    coffeemug
    coffeemug
    hiouke
    hiouke
    jbmills07
    jbmills07
    dal08260
    dal08260
    dividedsky
    dividedsky
    krajisunny
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    gisele
    gisele
    erin99
    erin99
    richard_siegert
    richard_siegert
    richo_uke
    richo_uke
    biancak
    biancak
    karenj
    karenj
    ukulelee
    ukulelee
    joannetala
    joannetala
    june2020
    june2020
    sarahd
    sarahd
    jayton
    jayton
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    janaq1
    janaq1
    pika80019
    pika80019
    nosferatu
    nosferatu
    cimarronsailor
    cimarronsailor
    sir_anzalot
    sir_anzalot
    jody_hendrickson
    jody_hendrickson
    concan
    concan
    leslieb
    leslieb
    santai
    santai
    jlbross
    jlbross
    dermango
    dermango
    addilein
    addilein
    digbybare
    digbybare
    kdeacon7
    kdeacon7
    omaon4
    omaon4
    lynettejd
    lynettejd
    felixhchan
    felixhchan
    uku241
    uku241
    k_ra11
    k_ra11
    sarrafina
    sarrafina
    puppylovesuke
    puppylovesuke

sir_anzalot
    Participant

Thanks for your Feedback @Stephen !
    I played it this way on purpose but I actually stumbled into it by accident at some point. Ended up liking it better this way so I kept at it 🙂

leslieb
    Participant

Thank you for the feedback Andrew. I will practice two bars at a time as well as using the online player to increase speed. It will also help that I am familiar with the songs you chose for this month’s challenge. Thank you for organizing this!

jody_hendrickson
    Participant

Andrew, thank you for the feedback and encouragement. I definitely plan to continue working on giving the piece “shape” and I like your and Steven’s idea of thinking of the dynamics in terms of the breath. Very helpful. Best, Jody

Viewing 14 posts - 166 through 179 (of 179 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.