Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,221 through 2,235 (of 4,196 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Andrew
    Keymaster

    @willymac – Brilliant performance! The audio sounds great. That Kanile’a has such a rich tone. 🙂

    I think you nailed some of the big subtle take aways, specifically the hammer-ons and pull-offs (P/O is the biggie here) and that harmonic pop towards the end. Great job overall, Brian!

    in reply to: Out in the North – another Noob Question(s) #37692
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hi Greg, I just approved Robin’s post. He did an excellent job breaking down your questions. Let us know if you need further clarity on anything.

    You may also want to jump into the beginner’s course. As it has a lesson on understanding chart symbols and slides.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @yooki-h – Excellent job! Sounds great! The only thing I’d suggest is to practice a bit slower, as it will allow you to focus on hitting every note/chord cleanly. But again, awesome overall! Keep up the great work! 🙂

    in reply to: Low G – Newbie Question #37644
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hi Nikola, all of our low G lessons can be found here.

    Furthermore, if you’re browsing the Ukulele Songs page, you can easily spot which are low G, as they all have a “Low G” banner:

    null

    —-

    Some low G lessons will work okay for high G, but most will sound “off” as you’ve noticed. I’d recommend sticking with High G lessons for a High G uke.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @rebeca – Great job on the 2 finger approach! This was an excellent performance overall. Great feel to your playing, too.

    There’s only 1 minor (super minor) thing I noticed. The end of the B melody ends on a B note, but you slide it down a whole step. I’d let it resolve and fade on the B; much more pleasant to the ear 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @leosteelz0 – yes!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Wow! 141 members joined us for this month’s challenge, with a few more posting an additional performance on a second tune! Stephen and I are BLOWN AWAY by how amazing everyone did! Big round of applause to everyone who participated this month. 🙂

    Our May Challenge is LIVE and the theme is “Mixed Bag” (i.e. 4 completely unique songs from one another). We have quite a few entries in already! I hope each of you join us again.

    Below, I will post a list of members who participated in the April challenge for your first chance to win the Kanile’a Ukulele. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

    —-

    deadbuggy
    deadbuggy
    lisamcc
    lisamcc
    cncamacho
    cncamacho
    noonka
    noonka
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    raffybaking
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    voyager
    voyager
    unclemymy
    unclemymy
    taylor22jane
    taylor22jane
    rebeca
    ukelars
    lildevil
    lildevil
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    alex2531255
    laurasil
    hiloukes
    willymac
    willymac
    tric_o_tronic
    tric_o_tronic
    lisa-k
    lisa-k
    nthibode
    nthibode
    gstriph
    gstriph
    uku_on
    uku_on
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    nproost
    nproost
    rfritz3
    rfritz3
    surfnrz
    surfnrz
    barbecueblack
    barbecueblack
    dennisdickens
    dennisdickens
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    aloooy
    aloooy
    eszti5mail
    eszti5mail
    brettboy
    brettboy
    marianne
    marygrace
    marygrace
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    funtime2018
    funtime2018
    andrewvh
    andrewvh
    sticks366
    sticks366
    turkgoose
    turkgoose
    rockmyuke
    rockmyuke
    janelletingey
    janelletingey
    joe150
    joe150
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    alisefrenchyuky
    alisefrenchyuky
    threepwoodjones
    mr_moltes
    Catherine
    Catherine
    karenj
    karenj
    jedart
    stianukulele
    timolnz
    timolnz
    nathalie
    nathalie
    tim0721
    tim0721
    oldan_
    oldan_
    eyka321
    eyka321
    mszatanik
    mszatanik
    dorabr
    kaidunc
    kaidunc
    elealong12
    holly1
    holly1
    brightwing
    debb1985
    debb1985
    kanae926
    kanae926
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    cyukug
    cyukug
    simonalexander
    artcrocker
    sgorsuch
    sgorsuch
    amandali
    amandali
    hawaiihaze
    hawaiihaze
    miztaken
    miztaken
    andracass
    andracass
    juanita
    andyrose
    andyrose
    camifromtherfarpatagonia
    peiching
    jkulele
    jkulele
    planetfink
    planetfink
    yooki-h
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    dal08260
    rustypal
    rustypal
    givingtree89
    givingtree89
    tiff27
    smokealot
    smokealot
    iyers408
    iyers408
    coffeemug
    coffeemug
    kayleighb
    kayleighb
    lisotta
    lisotta
    mark1256
    mark1256
    sgwarren
    sgwarren
    kkaszuba
    kkaszuba
    goody2shoes
    goody2shoes
    b_ukes_101
    b_ukes_101
    ukuleleloo
    ukuleleloo
    laurakarr12
    laurakarr12
    philbateau
    philbateau
    timtamaus
    ivo_zag
    cimarronsailor
    cimarronsailor
    kellyblackburn
    kellyblackburn
    riley_ukulele
    riley_ukulele
    marksearles
    jayton
    jayton
    charlie3
    charlie3
    bklynsoul
    bklynsoul
    rufio0
    rufio0
    smudge
    smudge
    verity2003
    verity2003
    katariin
    katariin
    apblondie
    apblondie
    mfaske
    mfaske
    mljordan3
    mljordan3
    nosferatu
    rickeymike
    rickeymike
    magnuselvar
    magnuselvar
    santai
    santai
    leosteelz0
    leosteelz0
    jonathan_gabel
    jonathan_gabel
    akichman
    akichman
    cloud_cactus
    golf39
    golf39
    gardn_gnome
    gardn_gnome
    joannetala
    joannetala
    mac1984
    mac1984
    sprintingyogini
    sprintingyogini
    johnnyquickpants
    johnnyquickpants
    ukulelemaster3000
    hotshot
    nitsur
    nitsur
    bzediver
    bzediver
    emiliano
    emiliano
    jinajupiter
    shmu88
    shmu88
    puppylovesuke
    puppylovesuke
    ronnieg
    ronnieg
    johnnyrotten
    johnnyrotten
    ukukelley1
    ukukelley1
    omaon4
    omaon4
    macdog
    macdog

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here are folks on page 21 that submitted within our deadline.

    johnnyrotten – your playing sounds great and I’m glad you joined us for your first challenge! 🙂

    So timing wise, you’re playing the phrases well, but you want to work on connecting one phrase to the next while keeping the timing steady. And the best way to do this is to tackle four or eight bar sections at a time. Master that before moving on to the next section.

    ukukelley1 – well done, Sheryl! I dig the relaxed feel. So two things come to mind. One is to keep working on the campanella runs; Try to get those a little bit more fluid. But I also think you should push yourself to go a little bit faster on this one. I think that’d be a good challenge for you.

    omaon4 – great job! I’d leave out the backbeat for the moment and would recommend playing with the tab player. You’ll have Matt’s playing as a guide and the backing track to help you stay locked into the groove. Both of which will help reinforce your timing.

    But here’s the big thing: Work on 4 bar sections at a time. When you get comfortable with one section, do the next section, and then build it from there. After working through the song this way, I’d go back and add the backbeat, but make sure you add it only to beats 2 & 4.

    macdog – the triplet run sounded awesome, Greg! Definitely can tell you put some work into it! Rest of it was great too. It sounds like you just need to memorize it fully. That’ll help you connect each phrase and keep it steady throughout. So I’d say with a little bit more practice, you’ll have it rockin’! 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    My pleasure!

    in reply to: Recording duo ukulele #37624
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    I’m not sure why it would be out of sync… as long as you’re recording to track #1, it should be as simple as lining both up together in the video editor.

    Recording multiple audio tracks is even easier if you have a DAW. Check out our recording course for more info on that.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    brettboy – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂

    nthibode – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂

    shmu88 – That was an awesome performance, Sam! Keep up the great work 🙂

    schaap123 – I was blown away by your performance! I’m super impressed that you learned both of his right hand techniques. Brilliant job!

    deadbuggy – Hi Sara, here’s my thoughts. This is also all IMO.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here is everyone on page 19.

    rickeymike – here is my feedback for you 🙂

    magnuselvar – I think you’ve got a great base established! I’d recommend playing with the tab player. You’ll have Matt’s playing as a guide and the backing track to help you stay locked into the groove. Both of which will help reinforce your timing.

    But here’s the big thing: Work on 4 bar sections at a time. When you get comfortable with one section, do the next section, and then build it from there.

    santai – awesome performance, Marvin! If I have to be really nit-picky, I’d say keep working on the technique so that you nail it every time – but there was only a few times you didn’t. You did a great job, keep it up!

    P.S. this advice goes for me too, LOL 🙂

    leosteelz0 – excellent job! Super clean playing and your timing sounds great! At this point, what I suggest is to challenge yourself to play a little bit faster – not a lot – but try 5 or 10 bpm faster, and when that becomes comfortable, bump it another 5 or 10.

    jonathan_gabel – awesome job on the timing w/out the backing track. I’m impressed! Your playing sounds great as well. Keep up the great work 🙂

    akichman – well done! So the thing that I would recommend is to actually slow it down a little bit, that way you can focus on getting every hit crystal clear – notes, chords, strum attack, etc.

    So try about a quarter of the speed you played it at slower. When you’ve got it down clean, try to boost the tempo marginally up. When you get comfortable there, repeat.

    cloud_cactus – great job, Brinley! So you definitely got the tune down, but I would practice on mastering one section at a time, and building it piece by piece.

    Check out our “how to practice” guide. This was our first lesson in music college, literally on day one, and it’s worth its weight in gold 🙂

    golf39 – here is my feedback for you 🙂

    gardn_gnome – great job! So I’d actually recommend the same advice I left above for, magnuselvar.

    joannetala – killer playing on the strumming section, Joanne! I think that’s some of the best playing I’ve heard from you 🙂

    The one critic I do have is that you want to try to match the tempo of the fingerpicked section to the strumming section. So keep working on bringing that up to the same tempo.

    mac1984 – awesome job! Fingerpicked section sounds great and you’ve got the triplet strum down, but work on getting it more consistent so that you nail it each time. And the best way to do that is just to slow the tempo down and work it up to speed. Keep up the great work!

    sprintingyogini – welcome back, Wendy! That was a solid performance, bravo! And I love the backdrop 🙂

    johnnyquickpants – here is my feedback for you 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here is everyone on page 18. Due to the large amount of entries, we’re only going to be leaving feedback on first entries.

    —-

    smudge – excellent job! Triplet strum sounds great 🙂 the only suggestion I have is to memorize the piece.

    verity2003 – great job! I’d recommend playing with the tab player. You’ll have Matt’s playing as a guide and the backing track to help you stay locked into the groove. Both of which will help reinforce your timing.

    But here’s the big thing: Work on 4 bar sections at a time. When you get comfortable with one section, do the next section, and then build it from there.

    katariin – beautiful playing and great feel 🙂

    apblondie – sounds great, Ashlee! Sometimes, you’re getting a little bit ahead of the beat, so what I would do is play along with the tab player. Matt’s playing will act as a guide and help you stay locked into the groove. Keep up the great work!

    mfaske – sounds awesome! Super clean and timing sounds spot on in the strumming section. But I would put a little bit more practice in the fingerpicking section to keep it steadier. Overall, great job!

    mljordan3 – killer job on the timing with no backing track! Very impressive! Your playing has a lovely tone. Fantastic submission, keep up the great work and thank you for the kind words!

    nosferatu – playing sounds great! I think with a little bit more practice the very minor things (i.e. note clarity on some of the campanella walk ups) can be eliminated.

    isabelm – awesome start! Try to straighten your index finger when doing the partial barre, it should help get that second string note to ring out better.

    Unfortunately, I cannot give you an entry for this month since you didn’t perform the entire arrangement. But major props for tackling an advanced piece!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @wongbrown – Hi Sheila, so the backbeat should only be on beats 2 and 4. Try and draw an X on the tab over the hits on those beats. It will help you to visually see when it should happen.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @lhamilton – They sound great! I’d slow the tempo down a bit to practice nailing it each time. But technique looks good, keep up the great work!

Viewing 15 posts - 2,221 through 2,235 (of 4,196 total)