Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
August 10, 2023 at 3:20 pm in reply to: Participate in the August 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Kala Ukulele! #58365
AndrewKeymasterThanks y’all! I really appreciate it π
AndrewKeymasterI think you’re asking about the Reading Course? You’ll need a low G uke for lessons covering the fourth (G) string notes.
I’d recommend a concert or tenor for low G tuning.
August 9, 2023 at 2:13 pm in reply to: Participate in the August 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Kala Ukulele! #58354
AndrewKeymaster@rebeca – Wow! Phenomenal playing and singing! Def will be sharing your performance on our social media this week π
@lisadmh – Brilliant take, Lisa! Great pacing, feel, and use of the arpeggiated strum technique. Amazing to hear how far you’ve come in your playing! Keep up the great work!
@jbmills07 – Feel was spot on! Well done, Justin!
AndrewKeymasterWhich lesson(s) are you referring to?
AndrewKeymasterThe predominance of the D minor chord establishes it as the tonic.
Double check the melody notes too. You stated it began with G. That is incorrect. It begins with D. Melodies often start and end on the root note but it’s not always the case.
AndrewKeymasterSo this song is notated with a key signature of D minor, but it’s really a modal tune in D dorian. Which you can think of as a C major scale, but starting and ending on D:
D E F G A B C D
That scale contains a B, instead of Bb.
For the measure that’s tricky, I’d recommend counting eighth notes and clapping on the hits. Which I’ve shown as the first line. But when you go to play it, I’d simplify the count to what I showed in the second line:

Hope that helps!
August 3, 2023 at 3:47 pm in reply to: Participate in the August 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Kala Ukulele! #58322
AndrewKeymaster@deadbuggy – Brilliant take, Sara! Sorry to hear about your wrist, wish you a speedy recovery π
August 2, 2023 at 12:48 am in reply to: Participate in the August 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Kala Ukulele! #58302
AndrewKeymaster@jbmills07 – @The_Bumble_Bard is spot on, you nailed the feel! Amazing demonstration on finesse. An excellent start to our August Challenge π
August 1, 2023 at 6:26 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Leolani Ukulele! #58286
AndrewKeymasterWe had 31 members participate this month! Everyone did an awesome job and should feel super proud of their work this month!
So without further ado, the winner of our July Challenge isβ¦


Our August challenge is LIVE and the theme is: Love Songs! Thereβs also a very cute prize for August! Hope to see everyone in the new challenge: https://rockclass101.com/august-2023-challenge
August 1, 2023 at 6:12 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Leolani Ukulele! #58283
AndrewKeymaster@bibilele – Bravo, Bianca! Excellent technique and timing! π
@richo_uke – Bravo on both themes! Feel, groove, and timing were excellent. This might be my fav performance from you to date π
@uku241 – WOW! Y’all aced it! Amazing duet! Great energy and I loved the extra bits at the end! Bravo! π
@johanna2509 – Rhythm was spot on! Excellent timing!Technique looks and sounds great with the lead. I’d say you were a touch behind on timing with the single notes, but nothing that sounded off. I thought you did really well! Maybe another week of practice and you’ll get it where you want it. It was REALLY good!
@jody_hendrickson – That was very well played, Jody! Great feel and technique throughout. Only thing I’d say is keep working on building speed. You can also loop the harder phrases to get extra targeted practice with them. Keep up the excellent work!
@nelsonlin2021 – Very well played, Nelson! I’d recommend working on 8 bar sections at a time. Focus on timing (keeping it steady). Start slow and build it up to speed. When you can play one section perfectly steady, move onto the next, then piece the 16 bars together. Build the song that way and you’ll be amazed at how easy it becomes to play the entire tune at a steady tempo.
@jbmills07 – The new uke sounds awesome, Justin! Congrats again! And I love the Hawaiian shirt. It’s perfect for this tune. πPerformance was excellent! I was very impressed with how well you did on the timing. This is not an easy song as it has some tricky syncopation at times. Keep up the great work!
@potter – Excellent first performance! And very cool to see you using Picado technique. I look forward to watching more of your performances, Jen π
@morrieuke1 – Awesome performance, Michael! You always play w/ great feeling! Only thing I’d suggest is to memorize it, when time permits, so you can focus 100% on your playing.
@dianna – Brilliant playing on the first 2 themes, Dianna! The third one is really good too! I’d suggest slowing the tempo down when practicing that one. It’s tough! I remember Matt taking weeks to practice it just to be able to play it for the performance.The only other thing I’d suggest is working on is cleaning up the notes in the D barre chord/pull-off. Make sure your barre is straight and that youβre pressing down with enough force so that each note in the bare (2222) rings out.
@lmdlinda – Bravo, Linda! I thought you did a brilliant job on all 3 themes! Only thing I’d suggest is to work on increasing tempo. The harmonics at the end were well played! Check out our harmonics course for extra help with them. But it looks and sounds like you’ve already got that technique down. πJuly 31, 2023 at 10:37 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Leolani Ukulele! #58274
AndrewKeymasterFriendly Reminder – The deadline for receiving feedback and an entry into the giveaway is tonight at 11:59 PM EDT (check your local time zone).
AndrewKeymasterWelcome @grandtout! Glad to have you here. If you ever need help on the lessons, please don’t hesitate to ask π
July 29, 2023 at 4:29 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Leolani Ukulele! #58248
AndrewKeymaster@rgillof – Excellent playing! My only advice is to work on keeping it a little more steady tempo wise. Keep up the great work! π
July 28, 2023 at 6:40 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Leolani Ukulele! #58236
AndrewKeymaster@leb397 – Bravo, Louisa! Excellent job on all 3 themes! There’s 2 things I’d suggest working on as you continue practicing. First, work on cleaning up the D barre pull-off using the same advice I left a few posts above for @leslieb. Second, focus on keeping the tempo steady in the third theme.
I have to say, I was very impressed with your performance! It shows you put a lot of work into this tune and it sounded awesome!
@mark1256 – Love the duet, Mark! π You did a great job on this tune. Only thing I’d keep working on is keeping the tempo a little more steady. But it doesn’t sound like it will take much work to get it perfect. Keep up the great work!July 27, 2023 at 10:37 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Leolani Ukulele! #58227
AndrewKeymaster@leslieb – Great job, Leslie! For the D barre pull-off, make sure your barre is straight and that you’re pressing down with enough force so that each note in the bare (2222) rings out. Especially the 2 on the A string.
I thought you did really well with all 3 themes. Keep working on the last one, it’s a toughy!
-
AuthorPosts