Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
April 30, 2023 at 4:06 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a #57314
AndrewKeymaster@misterbones – That was awesome Michael! Have you tried practicing one section at a time to a click? That should tighten up the timing issues.
@moonshoes – An excellent first post! Beautiful playing! For the pinky, you can anchor it or keep it floating. If floating, I’d keep it closer to the other fingers so it’s not so far away if you do a technique that uses it, such as the rasgueado strum.
@lynnzo – Beautiful playing! For the A Melody, try to keep your left hand in form 1 with your thumb placed slightly above the middle of neck. Your current form limits dexterity and mobility as your palm is curled inwards. The U shape gap in form 1 will make it much easier to play and move around the neck.And def keep working on 19! Please share it when you are ready 🙂
@annemarie – Excellent playing! Well done on the stretch chords! At this point, I’d take one section at a time and focus on keeping the timing steady.
@peiching – Sounds like you haven’t missed a beat! Welcome back and hope to hear more from you 🙂
@morrieuke1 – I love how full sounding the tone is! You def got a great one, Michael!! Fantastic performance too!
@ksapp92 – Excellent performance, Kelby! I hear a lot of improvement in your playing in regards to some of the things we talked about in prev challenges. Def keep up the great work!2 small tips for this tune. First, when doing the barre (0555), keep your index straight, not bent at the knuckle. Which looks like this:

That form will give you more mobility when adding the notes on 7 and 8.
Second, when switching to G5 (0235), try to move all fingers into that shape at roughly the same time instead of adding 1 finger at a time. You can practice this by playing F to G5, strumming half notes. So no fingerpicking, just working on the change.
@zongozongo – Playing sounds great! I’d recommend memorizing it so you can focus 100% on playing.
@casadot349 – Wow! That was amazing Casado! I will def send this to Evan! He’ll love it!One thing I want you to work on is proper holding technique. Right now, you’re sitting and playing it like a guitar. But for uke, we need to use a different form.
I’ll embed a video I made for another member a few years ago on how to hold the uke. Additionally, here is another lesson and one more covering this topic that I recommend reviewing.
@dianna – Bravo! Well done and TY so much for the kind words 🙂Couple tips. For the accented strum technique you’re doing from 10 to 17 seconds, try to speed it up a little bit. It feels a little behind the beat atm.
I thought you did really well with the stretch chords! I’d keep practicing that section at a slower tempo to focus on note clarity.
@kdeacon7 – Well done! Recording quality was excellent too! Your uke sounds great! As you continue to practice, I’d work on one section at a time w/ 2 goals: memorized (I know you’re almost there, but I want you to play it w/out sheet music as a reference) and steady tempo.Also, check out the index finger barre chord tip I left for @ksapp92 above.
@nelsonlin2021 – Another excellent performance, Nelson! I’d keep playing it at this tempo, but also at a slower tempo. That slower tempo will help reinforce muscle memory and improve note clarity. Keep up the great work! I’m always impressed with your performances each month 🙂April 29, 2023 at 11:55 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a #57292
AndrewKeymaster@concan – I’d def say you are more than ready to jump into more challenging pieces like this one. It sounded great, keep doing what you’re doing 🙂
@tim0721 – You aced it! Timing was excellent! Very well played!!
@leb397 – Excellent playing on both tunes! For etude 1, I’d focus your practice on the B Melody. Some of the notes seem to not be ringing out. It’s hard to tell from the angle of the video why, but it sounds like you may not be applying enough pressure fretting the notes.For 32, I like the thumb approach for the first time through, but I think it would be easier to use a 3 or 4 finger approach the second time through to build speed. So that would be my recommendation for you to try 🙂
@ukulelee – Beautifully played Leone and your uke has such a lovely tone! You aced the stretch chords, very impressive! This is def one of my favorite performances from you. Great feel and pacing throughout!April 29, 2023 at 4:18 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a #57281
AndrewKeymaster@nishant – Awesome performance! Great playing throughout! My only suggestion is to try to increase the speed of the sweep strum. Check out this lesson from our Next Level Strumming Technique Course. Matt’s got some great pointers on the mechanics of that technique.
April 29, 2023 at 3:53 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a #57279
AndrewKeymaster@ucolele – Beautiful playing! The only suggestion I have is to continue practicing the transition to the G chord in the B Melody. It’s tricky! And don’t forget to add the index finger down to make it an F in bars 17/18. Overall, it was an excellent first post!
@richo_uke – Lovely performance, Rici! There’s only a couple (very) minor hesitations. Sounds like a little more practice will smooth it out. Great job this month!
@coffeemug – Well done, Mary! I have 2 suggestions. First, try playing the first go-around a bit slower in tempo. That will help the second time through have a more profound effect when played at a faster tempo. Second, keep working on that transition to the F chord (0553).
@karenj – Such a beautiful performance for your dad, Karen ❤️
@richard_siegert – Fingerpicking sounds great! Excellent roll technique too! Have you tried playing to a metronome? It sounds like you are around 90 – 95 BPM. Try playing 4 bars at a time to the click. When you can keep it steady, move onto the next 4 bars of the tune. Then piece those together (8 bars).The click will help to push you to keep timing. And breaking it into sections will make it so it’s not overwhelming.
Alternatively, you can use the tab player and turn the metronome on and play with Steven. Still use the same approach as above. Loop 4 bars at a time, at a slower speed than his performance.
When you feel comfortable at your base speed, start increasing the tempo by 5 or 10 BPM.
@smokealot – Beautiful performance, Ulli!
@jody_hendrickson – Roll technique looks and sounds great! Lovely performance! I really enjoyed watching it and TY so much for your kind words 🙂April 28, 2023 at 6:57 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a #57252
AndrewKeymasterApril 28, 2023 at 2:20 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a #57247
AndrewKeymaster@lhamilton – Wow, Linda that was awesome! As you continue to practice, I’d recommend working on each section individually w/ a focus on tightening the timing.
@lbilkie – Welcome back, Lori! Your performance was great! Only thing I want to mention is bar 15 & 16 should be half notes 🙂April 27, 2023 at 7:44 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a #57242
AndrewKeymaster@omaon4 – Beautiful performance, Helga! The only comment I have is that I hear a bit of string buzz in some of the notes. I think it might be due to long nails on your fretting hand. Try trimming them so they don’t prevent you from fully pushing the strings down when fretting notes.
@robinboyd – Well done, Robin! Great feel and pacing throughout 👏
@johanna2509 – I could def hear it being used in that show! Your performance was great! You nailed the distinct feels between both sections 🙂
@bibilele – Fantastic performance with a backdrop to match it! Loved it!
@leslieb – The new uke is beautiful and has a lovely tone, Leslie! I hear where you are coming from. It’s prob a bit challenging to play due to its smaller sized frets. You may want to reserve it as a travel uke instead of a daily player for that reason. As for your performance, it was beautifully played! Well done!
@mepasha – Excellent performance, bravo! My only suggestion is to add a ritardando to the ending phrase.April 26, 2023 at 4:19 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a #57230
AndrewKeymaster@rafaela – That was amazing! Bravo! I think you’re at the point where you’ll want to focus on increasing tempo. Continue with your approach for working on one section at a time. But double check the tab. I did hear a few times where a note(s) or chord was incorrect. Keep up the excellent work, I was very impressed!
@anyon1 – Excellent playing! You nailed the distinct feels between both sections. Well done!
@marianne – Wow, Marianne! That was really impressive that you were able to do those stretch chords with the index finger on a baritone. Even I don’t want to attempt that lol! I know I’ve said it a ton of times, but I really love the deep tone of that uke. It really compliments your beautiful playing 🙂
@ccwuke – Another excellent take this month, Chris! Great job showcasing a distinct feel for both sections!
@patdrehu – Beautiful playing, Patrice! The only thing I can comment on is that you omitted the four bars before the B Melody (bars 9 – 12). Otherwise, it was awesome! Keep up the great work 🙂
@shmu88 – So I didn’t read what you wrote before I watched your performance. And the big thing I was going to mention, was exactly what you focused on. In theme 4, this tune really starts to build. To hear the flow of your playing from the first three themes going into that one, you nailed exactly how this piece is supposed to develop. This has definitely been the most expressive playing I’ve heard from you. Phenomenal job!
@joe150 – Bravo, Joe! This is the best performance I’ve heard from you to date! Keep up the excellent work 🙂
@gstriph – Beautifully played, Jerry! Good luck with the move! Tennessee is an awesome state. Been there a bunch of times and enjoyed each visit 🙂
@marlongas – Excellent performance! And your recording quality was phenomenal too. Well done!
@selfrazor – That was a fantastic first post! Excellent fingerpicking! My only suggestion is to slow the tempo a little bit. It’ll give the music a little more time to breathe.
@barbecueblack – Beautifully played, well done!
@riffyk – That was an excellent first post! You played it beautifully! The only thing I noticed that was a little odd was when you fretted the 2nd fret on the G string. That note sounds a little “off”. It might be an intonation issue with that one fret. This might be something you want to get checked out by a luthier.
@mark1256 – Beautiful played, Mark! The stretch chord section sounded great to me! Keep up the great work 🙂
@brettboy – That was awesome, Brett! I really like how you interpreted this piece and made it your own!
AndrewKeymasterTake a look at the example song, “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door,” at the end of our CAGED lesson.
Bar 2 requires an A minor chord. In that example, I took the G chord shape:
x232
And moved it up a whole step to become A major:
x454
Then flatted the major third (C#) to become a minor third (C):
x453
The above is now an A minor chord.
This shows how you can alter the major chord shapes to become minor. You’ll need to make these alterations if it’s called for in the music.
April 20, 2023 at 2:53 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a #57140
AndrewKeymaster@katazumiri – I thought it came out great!
@clempek – Bravo!I don’t think it’s beyond your playing level at all. You rocked it! Keep up the great work, Clem!April 18, 2023 at 9:41 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a #57136
AndrewKeymaster@joannetala – Beautiful performance and TY for the kind words, Joanne! Hope you have an awesome trip 🙂
@The_Bumble_Bard – Beautifully played, Rachael! I’d say keep working on the intermediate tunes. You are def ready for them!
@robinboyd – Good point!
AndrewKeymasterApril 16, 2023 at 8:20 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a #57122
AndrewKeymaster@otzepeng – Very beautifully played, a great first post! 🙂
@katazumiri – Wow Lena! You never stop to amaze me! I loved it! Highly creative and great bass playing too 👏P.S. Don’t forget to add the premium tag to your posts 😉
@ldarrow – Absolutely beautiful take! You have such great tone in your playing. It was a pleasure to listen to 🙂
@gi_gi_ – Excellent pacing and feel throughout GiGi! Well done!!
AndrewKeymasterWelcome, Chandler! Happy to have you here with us 🙂
April 16, 2023 at 5:27 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a #57120
AndrewKeymaster@robinboyd – You can do that! I’m not sure why I went down to that note on the third string, it actually makes more sense to do your suggestion since it picks back up in that position.
-
AuthorPosts