Participate in the November 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    ukealori
    Participant

I AM A PREIUM MEMBER

This is the first song I have ever played from memory AND with the backing track! I am really proud of myself 🙂 I continue to work on finger placement to eliminate the buzzing, but I see tonnes of improvement since I started this song. Thank you to RockClass 101 for helping me push myself to get better every month!

nelsonlin2021
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

It was a lot of fun learning Zelda’s Lullaby this month. What a beautiful melody! As usual, during the performance, I made mistakes here and there and some transitions were not as clean as I wanted them to be. Hopefully I did ok rhythmically. I appreciate any feedback on areas of improvement. Thank you.

olemartin
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here’s my attempt at the lullaby. Thanks for inspiration from the community and Andrew for the neat facilitation of things 😊

Ole Martin

yukalele
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi everyone. This month I went for Luigi’s Mansion. More difficult that it looked at first glance… (I must start practicing earlier in the month!)

lynnzo
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.
    This is my submission of Song of Storms arranged by AJ Hirsch.

coffeemug
    Participant

I am a premium member.

The closest I’ve ever gotten to playing a video game is when I used to play solitaire on my computer. So I’m not familiar with Zelda, but I love her sweet lullaby!

hiouke
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

This is my attempt on Luigi’s Mansion. It’s my first time participating in the monthly challenge.

jbmills07
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
    I am a big Zelda fan, so this month was really cool to hear everyone playing all these tunes! I went with The Great Fairy Fountain, wanted to do more this month (Zelda’s Lullaby) but this song took a lot of time!
    I couldn’t quite get the tempo how i wanted it in the third melody

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 5 and page 6:

@lbilkie
    – This is one of my favorites from that game, and I’m glad it brought back good memories for you as well! You’re doing a great job playing through this one, there are just a few chord shapes that are causing you to pause in spots. Try isolating the measures before and after those chords to practice mentally preparing for them in time with the song at a slightly slower speed. You sound great on this one!

@rafaela
    – That was a very good performance of the song! Your musicality, tone, and feel are exactly what the song calls for. Excellent job!

@jgillard
    – I’m not hearing the stumbles, and the notes sound right to me as well. I think you play this one very well! There may have been a hesitation at one point or two, but they were barely noticeable. Great job on the fast runs and the ending!

@barbecueblack
    – Very nicely played! My main suggestion now that you have the song down is to experiment with dynamics: try swelling into each measure on Melody C, starting quietly and ending the measures quietly so that the song seems to breathe. Keep up the great work!

@gstriph
    – I love the story, what a cool way to play video games and keep a child entertained at the same time! You’re getting close on this one. You have a good idea of the notes and rhythm in Melody A, there are just a few spots in Melody B to work a bit on the rhythm. Keep it up, you are doing a great job!

@jedart
    – You are off to a great start, and you have a good idea of the notes. Once you get more comfortable with the shifts, take a close look at the rhythms. There are a few quick runs like the one in measure 4 that are tough to play fast enough. If you have time to isolate those, it might help when you are ready to play the rest of the song in time. Keep up the good work!

@dianna
    – I enjoyed the trivia! I had no clue that other song was the reverse of this one. You are doing a great job on this one. I think slowing the speed down just slightly might help with the tricky shifts to keep an even smoother flow through the whole piece. Nice job on this one!

@The_Bumble_Bard
    – Great job on this one! I like how you covered for the higher frets that the soprano ukulele doesn’t have. Very nicely played! There are just one or two chord shapes to work on shifting into and out of. Try isolating the measure before and after those chords to practice the transitions into and out of the chords. A concert or tenor sized ukulele will definitely help with the higher notes. Keep up the great work!

@laurajax
    – Very nicely played! You have the timing and the notes down. The next step on this melody is to work on holding out the notes as long as possible and keeping them even more connected. One thing that may help with this is to use your pinky in certain spots so you can stretch your hand further to reach notes without letting go of previous ones too soon. You are doing great, keep it up!

@ukandrea
    – I love that you played the piano part as well! Great rendition on this song! There were one or two spots where the ukulele and the piano were slightly out of sync. What might help is to record one of them to a metronome (with headphones) so that the tempo remains constant. Very nice playing on this one!

@joe150
    – You are off to a great start! You have the notes under your fingers fairly well, so now it’s time to work on the rhythm. One thing that might help here is to play along with the tab play along so that you can hear the notes as they go by. This will give you an idea of which notes to stay on longer or shorter. Practice it that way several times before you record, and the rhythm should be easier to remember. Keep up the good work!

@marlongas
    – Great job on this one! As far as muting, letting your finger completely off of the string will cause an open string to ring out. To avoid that, use a finger behind that one to mute the open string when releasing the other finger (if possible). Another thing that might be causing string noise when you release a note is having sweat/oil on the fingers. Sometmes when I record, I wipe/dry my fingers off before every take. There may be something you can put on the strings to reduce stickyness there, too. It may be necessary to wipe the strings after playing each time as well. I hope that helps. Keep up the great playing!

@brettboy
    – I love that you acted out the gameplay in the video. That was a very nice touch! I enjoyed your Gerudo Valley jam as well. Zelda is my favorite game series, so it’s always nice to hear all of these songs. Great playing as always!

dal08260

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 7.

@ccwuke
    – Bravo, Chris! Excellent playing!

@kidelozzi
    – Beautifully played, Steve! And I loved the story that you shared 🙂

@jebergeron
    – Beautifully played, Jean-Philippe. There’s a few pauses in the chord changes in the last Melody. Eliminating those would be the focus of my practice moving forward.

@gi_gi_
    – Beautiful pacing throughout the piece, Gi Gi. Very well played! The one area I’d work on is eliminating unwanted string noise as you lift up from chords. For example, the chord in bar six (15 seconds in your video). You’re removing all fingers to play the last note. By doing this, you’re lifting up off the strings which makes some ring out. 

If you watch how I do it in the performance, I keep the chord fretted (held down) and use my available finger (ring) to catch the last note.

@evapaju
    – You captured the magic! Beautifully played 🙂

@akukes73
    – I thought your performance was great! It was beautifully played. We’re always our worst critic, but the fact that your son came in and recognize the song, shows that you rocked it!

@just-in
    – Wow! I can definitely tell you put a lot of work into this performance. It was awesome! I loved watching it, keep up the great work!

@mark1256
    – Excellent playing, Mark! Double-check the first few measures of the last Melody. Sounds like a couple notes were switched up here and there. That’s the only thing I can critique. Pacing and flow was excellent. Keep up the great work!

@suekulele
    – That was a fantastic performance, Sue! I see no reason why you couldn’t jump into more advanced pieces. Keep up the excellent work!

@terryfallon3
    – Bravo, Terry! This is one of the best performances I’ve seen from you to date. Keep up the excellent work!

@ilk3000
    – Playing was great, but it does sound like you’re a bit behind the beat. Try playing along with AJ in the tab player. I’d also recommend tapping your foot along and counting the rhythms as you play. That’ll help reinforce the timing.

@bibilele
    – Excellent performance, Bianca! You captured the spooky vibes perfectly

@ldarrow
    – Fantastic performance! Your form on the stretches look fine to me. If it’s still feeling a bit uncomfortable, that’s normal. Try running exercise 2 from this lesson as a warm-up exercise every time you practice for the next few months. Move the pattern up by a half-step a few times and back down to get extra practice time out of it.

Here’s everyone on page 8 so far.

@ukealori
    – Bravo, Lori! Timing was excellent! Great playing 🙂

@nelsonlin2021
    – Rhythm was spot-on! Your playing is making BIG strides! The only thing I would say is to lighten your attack on the down strums. Keep up the excellent work!

@olemartin
    – Beautifully played and I love the fireplace backdrop 🙂

@yukalele
    – Playing sounds great! I’d practiced the B Melody at a slower tempo so you can focus on cleaning it up. That part is tough with all the jumps.

@lynnzo
    – Excellent playing with great timing! Try not to tug down on the C string when playing the single notes. We always want to try to keep the string parallel so the note does not go sharp.

@coffeemug
    – Beautifully played

@hiouke
    – Fantastic first challenge post, bravo! Hope to see you participate next month 🙂

For that last harmonic, check out Module 2, Unit 1 and 2 in our Harmonics Course. That’ll help you get the mechanics down a bit better so it rings out.

@jbmills07
    – I thought the tempo was fine in the last melody. And I’ll tell you why. Because the pacing and flow was extremely natural. Every month, I hear improvement in your playing. It’s very impressive! Keep up the excellent work, Justin!

@dal08260
    – Excellent playing and timing! Bravo!

dividedsky
    Participant

I am a premium member.

Here is my submission of Great Fairy Mountain. This was a fun song to learn and a good one for working at bringing out the melody.
    It’s been so fun to see/hear everyone’s submissions!

Jane

krajisunny
    Participant

I know nothing about video games but I do know this melody is beautiful adn that’s why I chose Legend of Zelda’s Great Fairy Fountain for my challenge piece. Another stretch for my fingers.

I was trying to do the One Take Challenge but ended up going to 13, which is afantastic compared to my usual 46-200 takes.

robinboyd
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

marlongas
    Participant

Thank you @stephen. I’ll keep working on it!! I have to try to release the finger slowly or softly…and sweat less when I’m recording!!

This month is the first time I’ve tried to learn two songs. Could be better but here it is

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 179 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.