Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,191 through 2,205 (of 4,197 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s everyone on page 21 and 22.

    gardn_gnome – I can hear improvement in your playing!! That puts a smile on my face 🙂 As you continue to practice, focus on mastering 4 bars at a time. Work mainly on keeping it steady. After that, I want you to think about accenting so we can start to create a little bit more color in your playing. Try this: Hit beat 1 and 3 a little harder than the other beats. That will create contour.

    timolnz – Well done! Theme 1 sounds great! What I recommend working on is increasing the sustain of the chords as you play the triplets. Basically, you want everything to ring out into each other.

    The trick with this is to keep finger pressure applied for the entire note duration; which in this theme, the bass notes are actually quarter notes.

    The other trick is to make sure you have proper form, which is something I talked about in this video I made yesterday for another member as it relates to Theme 2.

    joannetala – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂

    emiliano – That was awesome! Killer job on Theme 2, that’s very impressive! The only thing I’d say for this section is to keep working on increasing the sustain.

    The only other thing I’d suggest working on is to slow down the tempo in Theme 1 to get the triplets a little bit cleaner. But excellent job overall! Keep up the good work 🙂

    kirpuff – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂

    andyrose – Awesome job, Andy! Watch the video I left above for @joannetala. That’s actually the same advice I’d offer you 🙂

    maryjanew – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂

    kanae926 – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂


    @puppylovesuke
    – Unfortunately, you submitted past our deadline. I tried to give everyone a friendly reminder yesterday. But there’s still one more month for the Spring Challenge. Hope you join us for June!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @hotshot – Got it! And TY!!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @baileysr – Can you upload your video to YouTube and share the link. Our upload feature is for photos only.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s everyone on page 19. Stephen is working on page 17 and 18 and will post feedback soon 🙂

    —-

    aloooy – That was excellent! I think it was at a perfect level for you. A couple of things stood out to me. First, I’d double down on practicing Bar 23. It’s hard to keep the tempo steady when you have to do picking on the same string versus a linear movement (i.e. strings 3 to 1).

    For Theme 2, I’d recommend you soften up the strum on beat 1. IMO, this section should have a really soft, delicate feel.

    goody2shoes – Here’s my feedback for you and here’s the lesson I referenced.

    katariin – Well done! I’m going to embed a video below that I made earlier this month for another member. It’s got some tips on how you can switch up your right hand attack to create different colors. So for your performance, this would apply for the A Melody as you played it entirely with the thumb, which gives you only 1 timbre.

    stinyuke – Awesome job! So I noticed that you and @aloooy struggled on the same measure (23). That’s a really tough bar for keeping the timing steady while doing the triplet on 2 strings as opposed to a liner movement (i.e. strings 3 to 1). Try to switch to Picado for that spot. I think it’ll make it easier to play and keeps the tempo consistent.

    Beautiful feel on Theme 2. The only thing I can suggest is sometimes it seems like you lift up prematurely. But, it’s very slight. See if you can hold on and prolong the chords for just that extra touch of sustain.

    ukulelemaster3000 – Nice playing! And what a cool looking uke 🙂 So the big thing that I noticed is your left hand form. I’d recommend positioning your thumb slightly above the middle of the neck. This will increase your dexterity. Check out this lesson as it dives deep into developing proper left hand form.

    karenj – Here is my feedback for you and here’s the lesson I referenced. 🙂

    kellyblackburn – Here’s my feedback for you and here’s the video with tips on the rake technique 🙂

    zerratheterra – Well done, Zenon! For the B Melody, there’s one eighth note in measure 10 that you are omitting which is messing up the timing. So I’d recommend going back and just double checking the tab to make sure you’re playing that section correct 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Friendly Reminder – The deadline for receiving feedback and an entry into the giveaway is tonight at 11:59 PM EST (check your local time zone).

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @wongbrown – Wow, Sheila! TY so much for the kind words! I really appreciate your support 🙂

    The new take sounds much better! Your timing is getting locked in! Keep up the great work.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @wongbrown – Well done, Sheila! I have a couple suggestions for you. First, I wouldn’t come down with the percussive tap using the index & middle. That breaks you out of the fingerpicking/strumming claw shape. So instead, I’d come down with a traditional claw shaped slap (as taught in this lesson).

    I’d also suggest playing along with me in the tab player. This will help you stay locked into the groove as my playing will act as a guide.


    @schaap123
    – nicely done!! 🙂


    @tric_o_tronic
    – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂


    @sgorsuch
    – Well done! The only thing I would recommend is to practice at a slower tempo so that you can focus on playing every note/chord with clarity. I know Tobias plays this at a brisk pace, but there’s a lot of clarity and an incredibly relaxed vibe to his playing. And the best way for us to get to that is to gradually work up to it.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @joe150 – much better! Do the same with Melody B and you’ll be rockin’!


    @brightwing
    and @kkaszuba – My pleasure!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @gstriph check out @rockmyuke’s take. He did a good job of what I talked about in your feedback 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    turkgoose – That was a very good take! The only suggestion I have is to target your practice on Theme 2. Keep up the great work, that was excellent!

    brettboy – I got a kick out of the 1 minute mark 😉 Killer job on the rhythm, Brett! You’re locked into the groove the entire time.

    I dig the poetic license used in changing up some of the licks for the first half of the solo. It’s really cool to see you guys take it and make it your own. Well done!

    kkaszuba – Well done, Karl! Your riff is super cool and perfectly fits the vibe of the piece, but I would put it at the very end of the arrangement instead of in the middle of the last theme.

    So I think you’ve got a great base established, but I would suggest breaking this piece into sections and mastering each section before attempting the entire piece.

    This song is comprised of 4 bar phrases that define an entire section. Apply the three steps from our practice guide to each section and master one before moving on or connecting multiple sections. Watch your timing as well.

    jonathan_gabel – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂

    brightwing – I thought you did a great job! Pretty cool change to tie the & of 4 into beat 1 on bar 2. The only change I would make is to sustain the first hit of Melody B instead of cutting it short. Keep up the great work!

    rockmyuke – Here’s my feedback for you and here’s the lesson I referenced.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s everyone on page 13.

    —-

    oldan_ – well done! The only thing playing wise I’d suggest is to work on connecting all the phrases while keeping the tempo steady.

    One of the things that I think is making some transitions difficult for you (like the double stop walk up in measure 4) is your left hand form. We talked about thumb placement in the video review of your performance for Canon in D.

    I can’t stress enough how important it is that you correct the placement of your thumb. This should be your number one focus as it will drastically increase your left hand dexterity. Check out this lesson for correct placement guidance.

    barbecueblack – Great job! What I suggest is to slow the tempo down and focus on increasing sustain in both melodies. Check out this feedback that I left for @mark1256 the other day. It touches on this concept.

    rickeymike – Awesome job, Rickey! I can hear that you are improving and that makes me so happy 🙂

    Pro tip, don’t forget to tune before you record. Playing wise, I’ve got nothing new for you as I want you to keep doing what you’re doing, it’s working!

    One thing that you can add is a pull-off every time you have 0 to 1 on the E string (both melodies). This gives you one more technique to incorporate in this tune. Which by the way, your slide sounds great in the B Melody!

    marianne – Great playing! So I have a few comments. First, I’d dial the reverb back. The trick with reverb is always: Less is more.

    In regards to your left hand, you want to bring your thumb down so that it’s slightly above the center of the neck instead of sticking out above the neck as it currently is. Proper form will increase your left hand dexterity. Check out this lesson for correct placement guidance.

    Lastly, I’d work on your timing. Try playing along with a metronome or if you become a premium member, you’ll be able to use the on-screen tab viewer to play along with Tobias 🙂

    jedart – Great job! I thought you did really well with getting everything to sustain, which is a big takeaway of this tune.

    What I suggest is to memorize the piece and focus on four bar sections at a time. Apply the three steps from our practice guide to each section and master one before moving on or connecting multiple sections.

    ukulelee – Well done! Timing and sustain both sound great. I’d start working on building speed. Push yourself to go 5 or 10 bpm faster. When you get comfortable at that speed, bump it up again.

    dryossi – Well done and awesome job on the solo! My advice for you is to use the same practicing approach I recommended above for @jedart. But I’d also recommend playing along with the tab player. You’ll be able to loop the four bar sections and my playing will act as a guide to help you stay locked into the groove.

    And don’t forget to add “I am a premium member” for next month’s challenge 🙂

    gstriph – Here is my feedback for you 🙂

    slr4chums – Hey Sue, sorry for the posting issue! If you post more than one link, the forum automatically puts it into the spam folder for me to approve. I wish I could change that or set a limit, but it doesn’t let me 🙁

    I thought your playing was great and the ending was pretty funny! I think if you played along with Tobias in the tab player, it would smooth out some of the timing issues I’m hearing. Which are very minor, by the way. But, his playing will act as a guide and keep you locked into the groove.

    And I’m happy you joined us for your first challenge. Hope you join us again next month!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @stianukulele – That was awesome, Stian! Great job on the RH technique! The only suggestion I have is to slow it down a notch. I think the notes will breathe a bit more at a tiny bit slower tempo. Keep up the great work!

    in reply to: Hi from the Uk #37918
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, @pippin105! Glad you found us 🙂

    Def start here. The 2nd video on that page gives a rundown on how to navigate the site.

    If you ever have questions on the lessons, don’t hesitate to email me or post them on the forum. Always happy to help!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @sgwarren – phenomenal job! You nailed the feel. I’ll send this to Tobias, I think he’ll be tickled pink 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @joe150 – I can hear you are improving, Joe! Great job!

    So I have a challenge for you. I want you to memorize it and post another video. Doesn’t have to be within the month’s time frame, any time in the future. From what I heard, you should have most of it down w/out needing to look at the music. But, if you stumble try this approach:

    Play 4 bars while looking at the music. Turn the music around and play those 4 bars w/out looking. If you can’t, repeat the process. Approach memorizing this way. Breaking pieces into chunks helps you memorize it faster.

    When you have it memorized, you can focus more on your playing. That’s what I want to hear.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,191 through 2,205 (of 4,197 total)