Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
December 3, 2019 at 3:34 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #34108
AndrewKeymasterNo idea, Rickey. But it looks like you are using IE. That browser has been discontinued and I’d highly encourage you to use its replacement, Edge. Or any other current browser: chrome, firefox, etc.
December 3, 2019 at 11:11 am in reply to: Participate in the December 2019 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE! Win Kanile’a! #34101
AndrewKeymasterlyndallk – I really dig the rhythm changes! I think they all work fine, but for bar 4 it’s a little confusing. You hold beat 4 longer and it leaves me wondering where bar 5 starts on. I would play it as we notated, and start on beat 2 in next measure; I think that fits the arrangement you’ve created. But really awesome overall, great job!
December 3, 2019 at 10:37 am in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #34100
AndrewKeymasterThanks guys!
@rickeymike – I don’t see “L SEP”. What/where is it?December 2, 2019 at 11:22 pm in reply to: Participate in the December 2019 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE! Win Kanile’a! #34093
AndrewKeymasterjohanna2509 – Well done! Here is my feedback for you, Johanna.
deadbuggy – That was super fun to watch! Here’s my one idea for you 🙂
podgornik – Great job! Here is my feedback for you and here is our starter lesson on rhythm and our reading course.
December 2, 2019 at 6:08 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #34089
AndrewKeymasterTHANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED THIS MONTH! WE HAD 80 ENTRIES! YOU GUYS ROCK!
Hope to see everyone in our December Challenge. December is your LAST CHANCE to win the Kanile’a!
Here is a list of everyone who participated. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.
—-
andracass
andracass
turkgoose
turkgoose
rickjava
nosferatu
nosferatu
lisadmh
lisadmh
deadbuggy
deadbuggy
johanna2509
johanna2509
andrewvh
andrewvh
lyndallk
lyndallk
planetfink
planetfink
cauer2
cauer2
nthibode
nthibode
brenna
brenna
holly1
holly1
stinyuke
stinyuke
willymac
willymac
suesbarn
suesbarn
k_ra11
k_ra11
annefgodfrey
annefgodfrey
oldan_
oldan_
jkulele
jkulele
laurakarr12
laurakarr12
russellbarnett
russellbarnett
karenj
karenj
ccwuke
robinboyd
robinboyd
timolnz
timolnz
brettboy
brettboy
brettboy
lisotta
lisotta
rickeymike
rickeymike
cyukug
cyukug
mdugal
mdugal
joe150
joe150
fiona99
fiona99
ripley
ripley
joannetala
joannetala
kellyblackburn
kellyblackburn
alterin
alterin
nerdjenni
nerdjenni
ramiro
mac1984
lisamcc
lisamcc
mac1984
cyberloh
cyberloh
smudge
smudge
kirpuff
kirpuff
kirpuff
gardn_gnome
gardn_gnome
golf39
golf39
golf39
jayton
jayton
surfnrz
surfnrz
surfnrz
kelsey91
wongbrown
wongbrown
dubrova
dubrova
tiff27
jazzitup
ramon91
jinajupiter
jinajupiter
yukalele
yukalele
coffeemug
coffeemug
gstriph
gstriph
mfaske
mfaske
jonathan_gabel
jonathan_gabel
apblondie
apblondie
givingtree89
givingtree89
ukukelley1
ukukelley1
mweir1
mweir1
ealtman
ealtman
bklynsoul
bklynsoul
chi-_-t
chi-_-t
nitsur
nitsur
santai
santai
kanae926
kanae926
lildevil
lildevil
laurasil
laurasil
aquatopaz
aquatopaz
cherrytang
barbecueblack
barbecueblack-
This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by
Andrew. Reason: barbecueblack added
December 2, 2019 at 5:49 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #34088
AndrewKeymasterHere is everyone on page 18.
Five of you submitted past the deadline. I tried to give everyone a friendly reminder about the deadline. Unfortunately, deadlines are strict this year. I’m sorry guys.
—-
nitsur – Great job! There’s a couple areas that I’d target your practice towards:
1) Listen back and notate when there were pauses going from one chord or phrase to the next. You want to loop those sections & practice the transitions.
2) Watch your tempo in the strumming section, as it increased here and there. Try to play along with a metronome or the on-screen tab viewer to help you keep the beat steady.
santai – Bravo! It’s fun to see your progress this year! Form in both hands looks great. Great understanding of the rhythms too, and your feel is spot-on. The only thing I can suggest is to focus on improving the clarity of the fingerpicked section and work on cleaning up the last part of the strumming section. Keep up the good work!
kanae926 – Absolutely beautiful! What I think you excelled the most at is making it sound extremely natural and relaxed. Like, this could be on an easy listening CD. I don’t know what gripes you have about it, but I’d be proud of that. Keep up the great work!
lildevil – You guys are too hard on yourself, that was awesome! You had a great feel overall and and showed a thorough understanding of the rhythms, as well as, keeping it steady tempo-wise. I’d give you an A, keep up the great work!
laurasil – That was awesome! The hardest part about this and Bohemian are the constantly changing rhythms, and it’s clear to me that you have a great understanding of this. Even the solo, which is super hard to keep with a steady momentum without a backbeat, had clearly defined rhythms.
What I would do if I was you, is to take just one section, like a verse or a chorus, and I want you to try to increase the tempo a little bit. But only work on one section at a time. When you can play that section steadily, try it with the next, then connect the 2. Use this approach as you work throughout the tune.
aquatopaz – Great job! So the strumming section sounds like you’re struggling a little bit with getting the rhythms correct. Check out this video that I made for another member earlier this month. It talks about simplifying the strumming attack, as well as, counting rhythms as you play. Try those two concepts out and I think they will help you get it down.
cherrytang – Well done! Glad to see new folks join us and I hope you join us again for December. I thought your performance was great overall; the advice I would offer you is similar to the video I made in this post for another member. Which talks about pushing ourselves to play a little bit faster to help increase speed.
December 2, 2019 at 3:58 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #34086
AndrewKeymasterHere are is everyone on page 17.
coffeemug – Great job! There are two things in your performance I’d like to point out:
1) Walk up in bar 6. A lot of folks had trouble with this part. Check out this video that I made for another member earlier this month. It explains what’s happening here.
2) Tempo – if you check out my feedback for Lyndall on page 5, I mentioned to her that a slower tempo helps the melody and the emotion of love shine through. You can watch her 1st and 2nd performance on that page to hear the difference between fast and slow tempos for this song.
gstriph – Well done, Jerry! The only thing I can suggest is to memorize it so you can focus on how you are playing it.
mfaske – Beautiful playing, Matt! You have a great feel and tone. I’d recommend only playing (memorizing) instead of reading and playing, because it sounds and looks like you really don’t need to be following along; i.e. it’s already memorized.
So I’d get rid of the sheet music and that will allow you to focus more on incorporating concepts like rubato, which works really well with this tune.
jonathan_gabel – Here is my feedback for you 🙂
apblondie – Great job, Ashlee! But I would recommend slowing the tempo down, because it sounds like you are pushing a little beyond your comfort zone. When you slow it down, you’ll be able to focus on your attack, which I think should be a little bit softer. Specifically, to strum softer, which will produce a sweeter tone. Give that a shot and gradually work to speed it up.
givingtree89 – Hope you are feeling better! I thought your performance was excellent. I noticed you used just your thumb for a lot of it, which at times, specifically for the bridge, seems like you are working harder than you need to. I’d recommend a three or four finger approach for that section, and really for the majority of this tune. I know you switched into that approach a few times, but I think it would be easier just to use it throughout the entire tune.
ukukelley1 – I think you had a very nice, relaxed feel to your playing Sheryl. In regards to your question, I think it comes down to having it completely memorized, because it’s really difficult to focus on how we are playing it, if we are reading it. It’s harder to escape into the emotion of music, if we are consciously focused on reading and looking at where we are on the fretboard.
So try this: Memorize one section completely and practice it until you feel like the feeling is flowing through it. Then record yourself and compare it to this video. I think you’ll hear the difference.
mweir1 – Bravo! Here is my feedback for you and here is the article I mentioned.
ealtman – Great job! I think you have a great base established, but I’d work towards memorizing it and breaking it down into four bar sections. That way you can focus on the big points: Timing, rhythm, chord transitions. Nail 4 bars at a time, then the next 4, then put 1-8 together. In essence, you are building the song piece by piece; which is what we suggest in our practice guide.
bklynsoul – Excellent job! I’d actually recommend the same advice I left for, ealtman. Slow the tempo down a little bit and focus on mastering four bars at a time and build it from there. With where you’re at right now, it won’t take too long to get it to flow with a steady tempo. Keep up the great work!
chi-_-t – Here is my feedback for you and check out this article for more on left hand form 🙂
December 2, 2019 at 1:22 pm in reply to: Participate in the December 2019 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE! Win Kanile’a! #34077
AndrewKeymaster@omaon4 – sorry, no more songs will be added.
@podgornik – can you upload using YouTube for video or SoundCloud for audio. Instructions on how to do this are in the first post.
@willymac – sure! Sounds fun!
AndrewKeymasterWelcome, Elise! Glad to have you on-board. Please add any song suggestions and tunings to our request list 🙂
AndrewKeymasterThanks for the videos. Here’s my feedback 🙂
December 1, 2019 at 4:19 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #34043
AndrewKeymasterStephen is working on feedback for page 16. We’ll get that posted soon.
surfnrz – Here is my feedback for you 🙂
AndrewKeymasterThe trick is creating neck stability through the index finger by using form 2.
Feel free to post a video of you playing and I’ll be happy to confirm no other issues are present 🙂
November 30, 2019 at 6:25 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #33999
AndrewKeymasterHere are the rest of folks on page 15.
gardn_gnome – Here is my feedback for you 🙂
golf39 – Bravo! You definitely are a great player, but one area that you want to work on is rhythm and timing. You play the correct notes and you have a nice feel, but the rhythm was not evident a lot of times.
I’d recommend playing along with me bar by bar in the video lessons and counting alongside me as you play. If you are new to studying rhythmic notation, jump into this course. It’s the best way to learn.
jayton – Excellent performance! I’m extremely impressed for 1 year. I’ve got nothing constructive to add except, keep doing what you doing it’s working!
November 30, 2019 at 5:17 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN Kanile’a! #33996
AndrewKeymasterFriendly reminder, the deadline for submissions is 11:59 PM EST tonight. (Check Your Local Time Zone)
Some of you have noticed that times are displayed incorrectly on the main forums page, but they are shown correctly on posts (i.e., above this post). The forum developers are working to fix this issue.
November 30, 2019 at 4:41 pm in reply to: Participate in the December 2019 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE! Win Kanile’a! #33993 -
This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by
-
AuthorPosts