Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,626 through 2,640 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Andrew
    Keymaster

    brettboy – Love the vocal and the comment humor, hilarious! The tempo change from the 1st to 2nd theme was really cool, but I think for practicing, I would keep it steady throughout all themes. By doing this, you’ll be better able to focus on cleaning up the tricky areas. And as always, this comes down to targeting those areas and applying the three practicing steps.

    jedart – Here is a video with my feedback πŸ™‚

    stianukulele – I shared this with Chris, he and I both loved it! Keep up the great work πŸ™‚

    brenna – First off, that uke sounds so good! Second, bravo! Technique looks great, I think the only thing that I would suggest is to practice it at a slower tempo, so that you can focus on cleaning up some of the tricky sections and getting the transitions a little smoother. Excellent work overall!

    in reply to: Getting a great slap #30695
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Can you post a video? I’ll be better able to help if I can see/hear how you are doing it.

    in reply to: Baby It's Cold Outside Strumming Pattern #30683
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    My pleasure!

    in reply to: Baby It's Cold Outside Strumming Pattern #30680
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Looks like she taught it as island strum, but performed it with a slightly different strum pattern:

    Bar 11: 1 (&) 2 (&) (3) & 4 &

    Bar 12: (1) & 2 & (3) & 4 (&)

    For things like this, I’d recommend gaining an understanding of the rhythmic notation. If you’re able to read the rhythms above the tab, you’ll know exactly what to play. The best way to learn how to do this is by learning to read music.

    After that, you can apply this rule of thumb: strum up on the up beat and down on the down beat.

    in reply to: Help Us Plan Our Lesson Curriculum for 2019! #30673
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hey Becky, check out the theory course. It kicks off with a lesson on the Major scale. There’s a diagram of that scale in 5 positions throughout the neck in this lesson.

    Banjolele lessons will happen. Stay tuned!

    in reply to: Performing with others #30653
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @rickeymike – Matt’s working on an arr. of that tune πŸ™‚ Great movie, still holds up!

    in reply to: Hello from Hungary #30652
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, Meli! We can def help you learn those genres/styles πŸ™‚

    in reply to: Fingerpicking Thumb Approach 3 #30651
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    In Fingerpicking Thumb Approach Exercise 3, at the end of the 2. bar, what are you doing with your left hand? When it seems you sweep up the neck. (Sheet writes there C E – CE.)

    Just something I do, sort of to help keep time. You can ignore this.

    Also at this lesson, shall I know from the sheet that I have to pull off my left finger and not to use my right tumb, ot is it just the technically easier way? Like at the first part after strumming C, from B to A.

    Pull-offs and hammer-ons are signified with an arch connecting the notes. So in this bar, the PO happens on beats: & (of 1) 2 and 3 &.

    null

    in reply to: NEW Strumming Course SNEAK PEAK! #30634
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @carolevoss – Yes, there are many ways to do this technique. Here are 3 ways to do it.

    Thanks for the feedback too. I’ll relay the message to Stephen for future lessons πŸ™‚

    in reply to: β€œHey” from North Carolina #30598
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, @wc27613! Left hand fingernails should be short and callouses develop in time. If your fingertips hurt, take a break πŸ™‚

    Thanks for the kind words! I’m always around if you need help or have ?’s on the lessons. Don’t hesitate to email or post on the forum.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Yes! You can do that too πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @tastyshrimp – Great job & neat variation on the other one! So your comment on chord transitions being difficult is something I noticed too. To me, it looks like you are struggling because you are not moving into the next chord shape in unison. Watch how you move to the Em and G chord. The index goes down first, followed by the other two fingers. You want all 3 fingers to form the chord at the same time.

    So I would strip away this technique and just practice going from one chord to the next. Put it into a time frame, for example, hold each chord for a whole note at 90 BPM in 4/4. Increase the tempo when you have the muscle memory down.

    in reply to: Site suggestion #30556
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s a video showing how to do it πŸ™‚

    And to learn more features, check out this page.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @jinajupiter – I believe he played quite a number of instruments.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @jinajupiter – Here is what Chris sent: “Here’s a good one at 1:20. He throws in some shakes and triples as is usual Formby, but this one lays pretty heavy on the basic strum.”

    Roy Smeck is the other uke player πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 2,626 through 2,640 (of 4,195 total)