Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
May 15, 2019 at 5:07 pm in reply to: Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #27361
AndrewKeymasterlyndallk – That was so awesome! I’m definitely going to be sharing this on our social π And that’s so cool that you picked up the record on release day!
May 14, 2019 at 2:13 pm in reply to: Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #27317
AndrewKeymastergaberdude – Excellent job! First thing I noticed is that your playing has great feel and tone. So you’ve got the Intro and most of Melody A down really well, but I can hear that it starts to get a little loose around Bar 15 and throughout Melody B. So I would target your practice there.
The other thing I noticed was that your thumb sticks out a bit too much (for ex: 30 seconds), but then at other times it’s at the perfect location on the back of the neck (for ex: 1:08). Try to keep it at the latter throughout. And for those of you that are reading this feedback, here is why.
kirpuff – Well done, that’s a hard one to play! You’re playing sounds great overall, but my focus would be on the subtleties. So what does that mean, well this is a fairly quick paced tune; but before we play it at that tempo we need to make sure that every note sustains for the entire duration, and sustain so that it connects one note/chord to the next.
Listen to bar 13 in your take (28 seconds), you can hear where this falls a bit short. But if you listen to the bars before it, you are nailing the above. So you’re at the stage where you want to analyze your playing and target your practice to fix areas like this. I’d also suggest to slow the tempo down a notch when working on this.
AndrewKeymasterMy pleasure!
AndrewKeymasterHi guys! Here is the PDF for tonight. π
Please make sure you are logged in to download it.
AndrewKeymasterGreat questions, Jina! Let’s jump into it.
“I have a question on the diagram included. I do recognise the C A G and F form, but not the D in the last Diagram. I connected the dots or notes in red.”
Those scales follow a 3 note per string pattern. You would need to substitute the C on the 8th fret of string 2 to the C on the 12th fret of string 3. Giving you X 12 12 10. You could apply the same logic to move the G (7 on 3 to 12 on 4) to complete the full shape, although that is not a very comfortable fingering.
How do I practice these forms? Do I fiddle around in all five forms until I master them and then glue them together?
I’d practice one a week. They will help you learn the notes throughout the fretboard and allow you to play out of the scale at any location on the neck. Call out formula (1 2 3 4 5 6 7) and notes (C D E F G A B).
“Is it like that if I mastered all five forms I am able to play major and minor in all 12 keys just shifted to another fret?”
Yes, if you shifted it up a whole step, you’d be playing in D Major. This is not minor, unless you thought of it as the relative minor and/or considered it a mode. But then the “home”, as in the root note, would be different.
“I figured that the C string goes one tone higher every position from c until g in the D form. Are there two more forms where the first note on the C string are an a and b?”
An octave of the root is not required in patterns. The C form would repeat at the 12th fret, no more patterns.
May 12, 2019 at 3:39 pm in reply to: Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge β WIN a Kanileβa Tenor Uke! #27275
AndrewKeymasterMT – sounds like some weird echo effect picked up on your recording.
AndrewKeymasterHi Pascale, give them a call. Ask for Micah. Tell him I sent ya π
May 11, 2019 at 11:45 am in reply to: Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #27229
AndrewKeymaster@stinyuke – You want to lift up after the strum, which allows harmonic to ring out. Check out this video for extra help on it π
May 10, 2019 at 2:05 pm in reply to: Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #27224
AndrewKeymasterMy pleasure! And yes, a strap def helps π
May 10, 2019 at 1:20 pm in reply to: Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #27221
AndrewKeymasterHi Jina, here is the lesson I referenced. And here is a video to help you π
May 10, 2019 at 11:11 am in reply to: Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #27210
AndrewKeymaster@jinajupiter – Can you upload to YT and share the link. The upload feature on the site is only for photos.
May 9, 2019 at 8:31 pm in reply to: Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #27207
AndrewKeymasterjoannetala – Great playing! So last month, we talked about working on counting rhythms. I recommended to check out the reading course, which will help greatly with strengthen timing, as your focus will be on understanding rhythmic durations.
So for ex, one area I hear you struggle with this month (and last) is holding half notes out for 2 beats, which happens in bars 25 & 26. Try counting as you play, using a metronome, or the on-screen tab viewer, those will def help. But the course will give you a better understanding of rhythms so that you have a foundation in place.
So that’s what my focus for you would be on. Your playing is quite lovely, just need to target rhythms/timing.
AndrewKeymasterHonestly, this was kind of a weird arr. with bars of 2, 3, 4. This was the first one I wrote for uke and did it for fun, never cross-checked it against the original recording. So I basically just played whatever felt good to me.
1) Sounds like I rushed. Timing’s always been harder for me and I’ve worked on it a lot. Which is good, b/c there’s a huge diff between old lessons like this vs. new ones.
2) Ditto.
Synthetic notation is correct rhythm for melody. Bridge is pretty much unique to this arr. Except for the first bar melody. Although record plays a Dm, not an F.
May 8, 2019 at 10:58 pm in reply to: Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #27191
AndrewKeymasterForm 1. Feel free to post a video, happy to take a look.
May 8, 2019 at 12:27 am in reply to: Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge β 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #27165
AndrewKeymasterplanetfink – Awesome performance and I love the Uke! What a cool gift π If I have to be really nitpicky, the only thing that stood out to me was one bar (starting at 53 seconds in) in the B Melody; it had a bit of a delay before starting. But, this is really an example of me over-analyzing. If only you knew how bad I over-analyze do my own performances, LOL.
robinboyd – Well done! Here is my feedback for you. π
deadbuggy – Here are my thoughts π
cncamacho – You are doing awesome! Notes and chords ring with great clarity and nice tone. I want you to try this: Take a four or eight bar section, and boost the speed (from where you are currently at) by 5 or 10%. And when that becomes comfortable, try another 5 or 10%. Then repeat with the next 4 or 8 bars. This way you can work on increasing speed in sections, instead of being overwhelmed by trying to do the entire piece all together.
Here’s a short video with help on one of the rhythms that I heard you play incorrectly.
brenna – Such a beautiful rendition, I loved everything about it! Your interpretation has such a great rhythmic feel to it π
sprintingyogini – Well done! Here is 1 tip for you. Sorry for the ending. I need to go to bed, LOL.
lildevil – Sounds beautiful! But I will have to agree with you, that quite a bit of it is more suited as accompaniment. Unfortunately, this deviates a little too much to be accepted as an entry into the challenge. Which doesn’t matter as I see that you will be submitting one of the other arrs., which I look forward to listening to π
-
AuthorPosts