Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 3,001 through 3,015 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Jake Shimabukuro in New England #25140
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Awesome! I saw him exactly a year ago. Was a great show, you’ll have fun!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    gstriph – great playing, Jerry! If I have to be really nitpicky, I’d say practice a touch slower as sometimes you got a little off the beat. For example the last phrase (32 seconds in) you started late, and it sounds like you may have fallen a beat behind. Actually I have a really good suggestion, use a metronome that has a different chime sound for beat 1. That way you know for sure where beat 1 falls.

    swabbievet – welcome to the challenges, Carl! You did an awesome job for your first time up! πŸ™‚ If I have to be super nitpicky (more than Jerry’s feedback above, LOL), the only thing that stuck out to me was the phrase that begins at 18 seconds. The start of that phrase, you can hear that you pick quite a bit softer than the rest of the piece. Try to keep it at an even volume throughout. But seriously this is like me trying to find an issue, i.e. Not a big deal. That was a great performance!

    planetfink – I love that you added chords and made it a chord melody. It sounds so good, I had to share it on our social and email today. πŸ™‚ Keep up the great work!

    huckfine – Bravo! I made a quick video with a couple tips, here are the lessons I reference:

    1) Picado Technique

    2) Proper Left Hand Form (Form 2)

    One thing I forgot to mention in the video, for example at 19 seconds, you play: 3 on string 1, then 3 on string 2 using the same (ring) finger. I’d recommend using 2 fingers (one for each note), instead of the same finger to play both notes. Check out that part of the lesson video again to see the recommended fingering.

    in reply to: tab player sound problem on iPad #25109
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Weird. I sent what you wrote to SS support, so they are aware of the issue.

    in reply to: Bonjour from France #25095
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, Marjorie! Thanks for the kind words! We can def help you out with fingerstyle playing. I’m always around if you have questions. Feel free to email me or post on the forums πŸ™‚

    in reply to: Hello from Switzerland #25085
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, Daniel! Glad you found us πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    My pleasure!

    in reply to: Humidifier #25060
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    I use the Oasis OH-18.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Sheila, the sheet music contains the chord graphs that show the fingerings to use for the chords. When practicing, just practice the transition from chord 1 to 2. Don’t do any of the fingerpicking out of the chord stuff, focus on getting the muscle memory down to transition. Make sure you are using proper form for barre chords highlighted in this lesson and this one.

    You can also watch Brett’s performance to see this progression being played.

    If you need additional help, Stephen would be happy to help you out in a Skype lesson.

    in reply to: Low G String? How? #25053
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    You may need to adjust the nut. Reach out to Mike @ Uke Republic. He’ll be better able to advise you on this. Tell him I sent ya.

    in reply to: Hiyah from Connecticut #25052
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, Maria! Glad you found us πŸ™‚

    in reply to: New Reading Standard Notation #25023
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    I’m not sure what I just watched haha

    in reply to: Site Maintenance Scheduled for Monday, Feb 11 at 12 EST #25022
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hey guys, the site has been updated. Please let me know if you experience any issues and I’ll get on it with my support team to trouble shoot and squash.

    There is an issue with the menu not sticking to the top of screen when you scroll down in mobile and it’s also acting weird on member pages (pages like our shop – not lesson pages) when logged in. We’re working on it. Oh the fun joys of technology LOL πŸ™‚

    UPDATE: Menu issues have been fixed.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Alissa, try to play using the least amount of pressure required when fretting notes/chords. We only need to push hard enough to produce a clear tone. And for the right hand, try a lighter attack for plucking/strumming; again same concept, only enough force to make the notes ring clear. This should be a good way to practice with less tightness.

    in reply to: New Reading Standard Notation #24940
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    You can definitely use flashcards.

    To play an octave up, you need to add 12.

    Fret 0 = A + 12 = Fret 12 (octave up)

    Fret 1 = Bb + 12 = Fret 13 (octave up)

    Fret 2 = B + 12 = Fret 14 (octave up)

    Fret 3 = C + 12 = Fret 15 (octave up)

    Fret 5 = D + 12 = Fret 17 (octave up)

    I wouldn’t recommend working on an octave up at this time. Focus on Frets 0-5.

    in reply to: New Reading Standard Notation #24938
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Sounds like normal ukulele tuning problems, as in it takes forever to settle in.

Viewing 15 posts - 3,001 through 3,015 (of 4,195 total)