Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Andrew
    Keymaster

    @riffyk – Your iCloud video has sound. I will watch that one. Looking forward to it 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @bibilele – I like the tempo you’re at, Bianca! You played it with such great feel, it was very enjoyable to listen to 🙂


    @karenj
    – Wonderfully played, Karen! You showcased all 3 dynamic changes perfectly! My only suggestion is to keep the tempo steady going into that last section (cresc./decresc.).


    @rgillof
    – Can I be honest with you? That was beautifully played. I don’t read what folks write until after I watch/listen so I’m not influenced when listening. After I watched, I read what you wrote and re-watched it. I’d have to be really nitpicking to say there were a couple starting notes that didn’t ring as loudly as I’d like. But that’s pushing it.

    I think you’re probably in the same headspace I’m in after I practice a lot and go to record. Often times, I’m too deep into how I think it sounds. So when I listen back I automatically say “that’s bad.” Luckily, I’ve had the benefit of recording hundreds of performances and that experience has taught me to send it to a friend for fresh-ear feedback. And more times than not, they say “dude, it sounds good.” 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @gstriph – Melody A and the the triplet strum were very well played, Jerry! Sounds like Melody B needs just a little more practice to smooth out. Overall, it was great!


    @moonshoes
    – One Finger Etude was beautiful played! I actually wrote it on baritone, so I agree with you! The deepness of that instrument pairs well with the piece.

    The strumming piece sounds great too! I asked Matt to review your form and he recommends you “turn your [index] nail towards the strings and try to strike parallel to the 14th fret.”

    Check out Matt’s intro to strumming lesson here. It’ll provide more clarity to see the exactly how he strums.


    @morrieuke1
    – Excellent job showcasing all 3 dynamic changes and bravo on keeping a rock-solid tempo!

    P.S. Don’t forget the premium tag 😉


    @leb397
    – Well done, Louisa! All 3 dynamic changes were showcased very well! As for the string noise, if you have a wound low G, then it’s unavoidable. The only way to get rid of it is to swap it for an unwound.

    The only thing I’d suggest working on is cleaning up the chord work. I’m not hearing each note ring, mainly the C string. Try to widen the arch of your ring finger so it’s not touching the C string (which mutes it).


    @ukukelley1
    – Beautifully played, Sheryl! Triplet strums sounded wonderful. You have excellent technique.

    in reply to: Tapping a Backbeat Plus Playing a Melody on Ukulele #57881
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Glad to hear it’s working 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @denisedistefano – Excellent fingerpicking, Denise! One suggestion, try a little bit of a lighter attack on the triplet strum. Overall, well done this month!


    @kdeacon7
    – Bravo y’all! Fantastic duet and I loved the outtakes 🙂


    @abster
    – Another incredible performance, Abhay! 👏👏

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @ccwuke – Excellent strumming, Chris!


    @jody_hendrickson
    – You aced both tunes, Jody! Well done 👏

    And TY for the kind words! 🙂


    @clempek
    – Great take, Clem! Feel and vibe was spot on!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @june2020 – Beautifully played, June! One suggestion, try a little bit of a lighter attack on the triplet strum. Overall, well done this month!!


    @robinl
    – Fantastic performance! You nailed the vibe and feel of the piece 👏

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @richo_uke – Love the last hit 😂

    Both times through sound great! Well done on the timing and locking into the groove with AJ!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @lhamilton – Great playing and feel, Linda! 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @leslieb – I think it sounds just as good sans the chunks. Great strumming Leslie! One tip, try to minimize your hand movement as you switch between the first two chords. Try this: keep the ring anchored and slide down a half step as such:

    You can see only the index and middle move, in a flip-flop fashion.


    @rebeca
    – You’ve got the muted strum technique down, but it sounds like you added a little swing feel and changed the pattern. I dig it tho! Sounds really good 🙂


    @jedart
    – Beautifully played, Jed!


    @rafaela
    – Bravo on both tunes! Excellent playing all around!


    @ukandrea
    – Love it! I’m gonna share your performance in our newsletter this Friday 🙂


    @shmu88
    – Excellent playing as always, Sam! Great feel and energy in this performance. The only thing I can critique is sometimes I see some of the strings are getting pulled down when fretting/playing notes which causes the note(s) to go a bit sharp. Try to keep the strings as parallel as possible.

    Most of this is prob due to the size of the uke. Try playing this tune on a tenor or baritone. That prob would fix most of what I’m seeing/hearing.


    @otzepeng
    – Beautifully played! Glad to hear you are able to play again 🙂


    @katazumiri
    – Another awesome interpretation, Lena! Love it!


    @The_Bumble_Bard
    – 1 finger etude sounds great! Check out Matt’s lesson on the triplet strum. He teaches a few ways to do it. Give them all a try and pick the one you like best 🙂

    I love your fingerstyle take on the strumming tune. Great adaptation!


    @laurakarr12
    – Excellent playing, Laura!


    @anyon1
    – Woah! You got some crazy speed, well done Adriana!

    in reply to: Finding a lesson #57808
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hi Steve, that lesson is part of our “Mini Lessons” Series. You can access Mini Lessons by clicking “Ukulele Songs” or “Concept Lessons” in the main menu. Next, click “Mini Lessons” in the blue banner at the top of the page:

    Click the image to enlarge it.

    When searching for tunes on the site, each series has its own content. For ex, if you’re looking for a “Mini Lesson”, you’ll have to use the search bar on the “Mini Lesson” page. If you use the search bar on the “Ukulele Songs” page, it will not give you a result for “Mini Lessons.” The only way to get around this is to click any lesson on the site and use the search bar on the right-hand side of the lesson page. That search bar searches the entire site.

    Here’s a video showing this. If I search “ML013” on the “Ukulele Songs” page, I get no results. But if I click a lesson, such as the first one on the “Ukulele Songs” page (“12th Street Rag”), I can use the search bar there to find “ML013.”

    I’d also recommend watching the second video on this page. It’ll give you a complete overview on how to navigate the site: https://rockclass101.com/learning-paths/

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @joannetala – Great playing, Joanne! I’m hearing the tempo in the B Melody get a little bit faster, so as you continue practicing, try playing along with a metronome. It’s always a great tool to practice with 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @annemarie – Nicely played, Anne! Great job showcasing the fun feel of the piece in your performance!

    P.S. Don’t forget to add the premium member tag for K Challenges 😉

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @kaski85 – I’d say you’re def ready to jump into more advanced pieces like this one. It was very well played! Feel was spot on. Good groove too! Only thing I can point out is to keep practicing on getting it to flow smoother. But that’s just a time commitment thing (i.e. more practice). The other aspects I pointed out are harder to achieve. Well done! And TY for the kind words 🙂


    @jbmills07
    – Right hand form looks good to me! Feel was great too! I’d guess what you wrote about is more related to a comfort level for this playing style/techniques. Looks like you’re well on your way there, should be effortless in a couple months.


    @dianna
    – Awesome to see you do 3! Let’s jump into ’em 🙂

    One Finger Etude – I really like how you accent the melody note at the start of the bars. Nice touch! Pacing had a natural feel to it too. Very well done!

    Harmonizing Chords – Excellent timing! Great job switching between both parts!

    Feel Good Strumming Riff – Matt’s an amazing strummer! Much better than I am. And that’s why he played the performance and taught it instead of me 😂. But with that said, one of the best pieces of advice I heard is to try to be better than you were yesterday, instead of comparing yourself to someone else.

    I think Bumble Bard’s advice is spot on. It does become easier to focus on feel once you get the muscle memory down.

    For this tune, I asked Matt to review your video. He said “you’re turning your hand too much away from the ukulele. The Index should turn straight into the fretboard on down strums and then come up more pointed towards the fretboard.”

    Check out Matt’s intro to strumming lesson here. It’ll provide more clarity to see the exact motion he uses.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @mark1256 – Feel and groove are spot on! I’d say you have it down! Well done, Mark! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 4,195 total)