Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
November 2, 2022 at 6:40 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a #54514
AndrewKeymasterHere’s everyone on page 9.
@debb1985 – Beautiful performance, Debb! You captured the haunting vibe perfectly 🙂
@dermango – Gorgeous interpretation with fantastic playing. Well done, Marko! 👏
@jody_hendrickson – Excellent performance! Everything was great: timing, fingerpicking, the strum build up. Well done! At this point the only thing I’d work on is increasing tempo. Keep up the great work!
@jbmills07 – Wow, Justin that was a beautiful performance! I’m impressed, keep up the great work! And I’m sorry to hear about your loss.
@annemarie – Fantastic take and you nailed the spooky vibe!
@robinboyd – Bravo, Robin! I thought you did an excellent job in light of the hand injury. One thing that I do want to hear is more consistency in the clarity of the fingerpicking. To achieve this, practice at a slower tempo and listen to make sure each note is ringing crystal clear and connecting/sustaining with an even tempo.
@tim0721 – Excellent fingerpicking Tim! One thing I noticed is that you kept the tempo pretty steady throughout. You may want to experiment with rubato. I think it adds a really cool coloring to a piece like this.For example, if you listen to Stephens performance in measure 8, he starts to slow down. Doing so helps to build the tension/climax in the ending of that build up section.
@digbybare – I’ll embed a video I made for another member a couple years ago on how to hold the uke. Additionally, here is another lesson and one more covering this topic that I recommend reviewing.Fingerpicking sounds great! And if you just started, it’s really impressive how far you’ve come! Check out this lesson on proper left hand form. When you switch to the E minor chord (like at 29 seconds in your performance), your wrist bends inwards. We never want to do that. It limits dexterity. You want to be using Form 1 (explained in proper left hand form lesson) to fingerpick out of that shape.
@smudge – Fantastic performance and thank you for the kind words! The rhythm and Melody A was spot-on. You made a couple rhythmic changes for the slide in licks in Melody B, but it worked! I enjoyed watching your performance 🙂
@lbilkie – Great fingerpicking throughout! I’d suggest working on 4 bar sections at a time. Focus on pace and flow. And one of the best ways to work on this is to loop the 4 bar sections and play along with Steven in the tab player. His playing will act as a guide to help you with these two concepts.November 1, 2022 at 3:37 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a #54498
AndrewKeymaster@clempek – Check out this lesson to learn the pluck/strum technique 🙂
October 31, 2022 at 3:15 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a #54436
AndrewKeymasterFriendly Reminder – The deadline for receiving feedback and an entry into the giveaway is tonight at 11:59 PM EST (check your local time zone).
October 31, 2022 at 12:59 am in reply to: Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a #54403
AndrewKeymasterHere are the rest of the folks on page 8 that I hadn’t gotten to.
@ldarrow – Beautifully played and I love the cameo with your dog 🙂
@lynnzo – Fantastic playing! Only thing I’d recommend is to loop bar 6 (7 in the tab player) to work on tightening the rhythm.
@just-in – All 4 were beautifully played and very impressive speed on the last melody!October 30, 2022 at 2:49 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a #54373
AndrewKeymaster@ukealori – Great fingerpicking, Lori! From here, focus on increasing tempo. Try five or ten BPM faster and build it from there 🙂
@maryjanew – Very cool to see you add the harmony, MJ! And I love the aesthetics of the video! Melody was great overall. A few rhythms were off, so I’d keep practicing with the tab player. You may also want to try counting the rhythms out loud as you play. That always helps.
@ccwuke – Playing sounded great! Just fine tuning from here 🙂P.S. Don’t forget to add the premium tag.
@riley_ukulele – Yikes! Sorry to hear about your hand, but it sounds like it healed well! Performance was great and I love the rhythm change you added in the breakdown.
@madhuri – Beautiful playing, bravo 👏
@akukes73 – Ash, the squeaks are caused by not maintaining pressure on the note when pressing down (fretting). Try practicing at a slow pace to work on getting the note(s) to ring for the entire duration.I thought your performance was great overall! All 4 melodies were wonderfully played.
@kdeacon7 – Great performance, Kelly! I’d recommend looping bar 6 and 12 (7 and 13 in the tab player) to work on tightening the rhythm. Also, when you go back to the A Melody, make sure to start at the top 😉October 29, 2022 at 3:44 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a #54342
AndrewKeymaster@erin99 – Excellent playing on all 4 melodies! Rhythm/timing sounded fine to me. It’s okay to add a bit of speeding up in the last melody, helps add to the tension 🙂
October 29, 2022 at 2:30 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a #54338
AndrewKeymaster@ukulelee – Beautifully played, Leone. And thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it 🙂
@gstriph – Bravo, Jerry! You aced it! My only suggestion is to work on boosting tempo on the last melody. But this was def one of the best performances I’ve seen from you to date. Keep up the excellent work!
AndrewKeymasterYou want to be careful when playing an open G with some of these chords. It’ll clash horribly with a C#m7. It’s best to target 3 down when strumming and/or mute string 4.
AndrewKeymasterMy apologies for the initial confusion, I thought you were asking about the 4444 voicing of C#m7.
AndrewKeymasterMy suggestion was to omit string 4, such as:

You can use that same approach for all of the chords in this song. Omitting string 4 will make it much easier to play, but still sounds good 🙂
AndrewKeymasterWe consolidated technique toolbox into Courses. Everything TT contained can be found on that page, such as the Harmonics Course. 🙂
October 28, 2022 at 12:38 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a #54325
AndrewKeymaster@gisele – Great job, Gisele! You’ve got a great base established, so I’d suggest working on memorizing the music and timing.
Start with one piece at a time. Practice 2 to 4 bars at a time. Aim to play from memory and with a steady tempo. When you’re comfortable with that, use the same approach for the next couple bars, then piece it together.
Breaking songs into small chunks like this is one of the best ways to practice 🙂
@nelsonlin2021 – Excellent fingerpicking, Nelson! Watch out to not rush the 3 chord change that happens twice in the tune. Try playing along with me in the tab player to help nail the timing there.
@krajisunny – Bravo! Excellent performance Sunny! 👏
@lynettejd – Timing and playing sound spot on! Well done! Only rhythm to double check is the 4th bar of Melody B. You started the last lick a little late. But not a big deal, it still sounded great!October 26, 2022 at 9:54 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a #54293
AndrewKeymaster@samash07 – Beautiful playing, Sam! Double check the rhythm in the B Melody. You changed some of them, which sounded cool. Just bringing it up incase it wasn’t intentional.
And we def want to make more piano/uke duets 🙂
@bibilele – Fingerpicking sounds great! Try to get that 3 chord change a little faster so it matches the tempo of the fingerpicking. BTW I love the scenery!P.S. Don’t forget to add the premium tag 😉
@addilein – Excellent performance 👏
AndrewKeymasterThat was awesome!!
October 25, 2022 at 11:20 pm in reply to: Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a #54283
AndrewKeymaster@The_Bumble_Bard – My pleasure!
@joe150 – Awesome job, Joe! So there’s 2 things I would suggest for you. First, try to memorize each piece, but start with one. I’d recommend starting with the third piece in the set as it’s the easiest. After memorizing it, try playing along with me in the tab player. Slow it down to a speed that’s good for you and loop it until you can play perfectly in-time with me.For the harder pieces, use the same approach, but try looping 1 or 2 bars at a time instead of the entire piece.
-
AuthorPosts