Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
AndrewKeymasterWelcome, @kattenihatten! Glad you found us π
Iβd recommend starting with our Beginnerβs Course. If youβre familiar with some of the concepts it covers, you can skip over those lessons. Either way, itβs always great to review the fundamentals of playing.
AndrewKeymasterIt’s gorgeous and I love the backdrop you created. Canβt wait to hear it π
August 4, 2022 at 10:53 am in reply to: Participate in the August 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Bamboo Ukulele! #53040
AndrewKeymasterHi Art, there will be 3 more chances to win it in October, November, and December. We’ll pick the winner on Christmas Eve π
August 2, 2022 at 9:32 pm in reply to: Participate in the August 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Bamboo Ukulele! #53021
AndrewKeymaster@deadbuggy – Wow, Sara thank you so much! I really appreciate the kind words. I too am a big fan of your originals and the creative changes you add to existing arrangements π
Beautiful take on this etude. I loved watching and listening to it!
August 1, 2022 at 4:17 pm in reply to: Participate in the August 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Bamboo Ukulele! #52989
AndrewKeymaster@jebergeron – Great start for the month! Playing sounds beautiful. As you continue practicing, I’d focus on timing (keeping it steady).
@leb397 – Thank you! I fixed it πAugust 1, 2022 at 3:24 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele! #52985
AndrewKeymasterWow! We had 74 members participate this month! Everyone did an awesome job and should feel super proud of their work this month!
So without further ado, the winner of our July Challenge isβ¦



Our August Challenge is LIVE and the theme is: Original Music! Hope to see everyone in the new challenge: https://rockclass101.com/august-2022-challenge
August 1, 2022 at 3:24 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele! #52984
AndrewKeymaster@dianna – Great job! Yes, we are on EST. I tried to give everyone a friendly reminder yesterday.
@jfkasper – Great performance! Note clarity and timing was great! Just a little pause in one chord switch, but an easy fix πAs for your question, our upload feature is intended for photos. Uploading to YouTube and sharing the link on the forum is the best way to post performances.
@yukalele – Yes, that’s the best way to play performances. If you record your performances, you can review them to assess the areas that need more practice time.August 1, 2022 at 12:14 am in reply to: Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele! #52971
AndrewKeymasterHere’s everyone on page 10 I hadn’t gotten to.
@mademoiselleannette – Beautifully played π
@yukalele – Excellent job! Timing was great throughout and I noticed your left hand form is much better. I remember we talked about that some months back. It’s really cool to see you making strides there especially on a song that’s so chord heavy like this one. Keep up the great work and thank you for the complement. I appreciate it and I enjoyed watching your performance πHere’s everyone on page 11.
@kelsey91 – Your performance sounded great! And that’s awesome to hear about the teaching opportunity! Have fun with your class and I appreciate the referrals π
@concan – beautiful performance! Melody sounded great, and very cool to see you using the new strum technique. In the first half of the song, it was a little hard to hear the strum. Make sure you’re hitting the top strings loud enough with the index finger. But in the second half of the song, I heard the strum perfectly.
@patparr – That was awesome! And if I’m not mistaken, you’re the first one to tackle the solo! Very cool πPlaying was great! One thing I’d work on is transitions. There’s a few transitions which have some hesitation. So I’d listened back and target your practice in these spots. For example, the first one is bar 2 into 3. You can hear a little pause here.
I’d also recommend tackling 4 or 8 bar sections at a time and playing to a click to strengthen timing.
So this song was an old arrangement of mine and some of the voicings seem to be overly olympic. The first half of bar 12 is a good example. If you ever find part of an arrangement difficult to play, see if you can figure out a workaround that’s easier to play, like this:

Same thing goes for that 0272 G chord (what was I thinking LOL). It’s so much easier to just play the stock G: 0232.
And please share the GnR song here. More folks will be able to see it there π
@mark65536 – That was awesome! Extremely well played, but hey I still get to nitpick, right??? LOL. Double check the first two hits of Bar 9, should be an octave interval. Double check second and third melody notes in bar 10.In bar 14, the 2nd and 3rd notes (2 to 0 on A) are played a little slow. Try to sing the vocal line to match the timing. The rest of the verse was excellent. I really loved how you played this section.
Lastly, the first half of the solo was spot on. Second half is where I’d put the practice time in. It’s almost there though!
Overall, I was very impressed. Really look forward to watching more of your performances, Mark!
@maryjanew – Performance was lovely, MJ! Hope you had a great vacation π
@themccoys – I think the hardest part of this arrangement is how you play it. Because the goal is to parlay the emotion of what the song is, which is a love song. And you did just that. Great flow and pace, great sustain, and great finesse. Very well done!
@cararozy – I thought you did a great job! Lovely playing π
@omaon4 – Beautiful performance! Just target that one measure that was a little difficult and it’ll be perfect π
@sarahd – Beautiful playing and yes you made it just in time π
@nelsonlin2021 – Great performance! Watch out for rushing the eighth notes in bar 2 and 6. Try playing along with me in the tab player with the metronome activated.And I think you have a great suggestion. But in the long run, it’ll be better for you if you don’t have to rely on visual cues. I’d recommend purchasing a copy of Transcribe. You can try it out for 30 days for free.
Here’s the download link for Windows.
Here’s the download link for Mac.This is an awesome program that is similar to the on-screen tab viewer on our site. Basically, it allows you to slow down and loop audio or video files. It even has a feature that tells you what notes and chords are played and surprisingly it’s very accurate!
You can drop the backing track into Transcribe, slow it down to whatever speed you need, and work on sections at a time. So what you want to do is play with Evan in our tab player. When you feel comfortable, switch to Transcribe and try without him.
July 31, 2022 at 10:41 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele! #52958
AndrewKeymasterJuly 31, 2022 at 2:37 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele! #52934
AndrewKeymaster@lhamilton – That rocked! Well done, Linda!
@johanna2509 – Beautiful performance πFriendly Reminder – The deadline for receiving feedback and an entry into the giveaway is tonight at 11:59 PM EST (check your local time zone).
AndrewKeymasterBeautiful playing and very cool arrangement. Thanks for sharing! π
July 30, 2022 at 10:47 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele! #52929
AndrewKeymasterHere’s everyone on page 9 I hadn’t gotten to.
@jbmills07 – beautiful performance. Love the rubato, it gave it a lullaby-like quality.
@morrieuke1 – I’d say you passed the audition! Loved it and that last chord put a smile on my face πGreat feel throughout and you nailed the licks. Bravo!
@mermaidofca – great performance! First thing I’d recommend is to double check the chords for the intro. A few of them were off.This is a tough song to play with so many barre chords, the swung feel, and the fingerpicked sections. I thought you did excellent in all these areas! I would mainly focus your practicing on keeping it steady (timing wise). Try working on one verse or one chorus at a time sans vocals.
And I think the best way to work on this would be to play along with Ashley in the tab player.
@lbilkie – beautifully played!Here’s everyone on page 10 so far.
@seoulkim – amazing job! It’s incredible to watch you tackle these tough tunes month after month. One thing I want you to work on is cleaning up your playing. Sometimes there’s a bit of string buzz. So you want to slow it down and focus on note clarity.I also want you to memorize this piece. That way you can focus 100% on how you are playing it. Watch this lesson, it talks about why this concept is so important. Then I want you to watch this lesson. It’ll help you add a little bit more finesse to your playing.
@samash07 – Excellent performance and I love the harmonics. I’m kind of jealous, wish I thought of that π
@ukealori – beautiful performance! And hey, we all have a uke face. Have you seen mine LOL. Or worse, google John Mayer or Stevie Ray Vaughan for a good laugh π
@ukandreas_girl – Magnificent! It was the most beautiful ukulele performance I’ve ever heard. You’ve got a very bright future ahead of you π
@ldarrow – No warnings needed, it rocked! Great feel throughout. And I loved the ending! I didn’t notice any string pulling. Honestly at this point, I’d just keep practicing. The more time you put into it, the smoother it will get. Keep doing what you’re doing, because it’s working!
@nthibode – Another brilliant performance, Nathalie. Keep up the excellent work! πJuly 29, 2022 at 2:49 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele! #52908
AndrewKeymaster@shmu88 – LOL I’m rooting for you!
Everyone on page 8 that I haven’t gotten to.
@terryfallon3 – Great job, Terry! It’s always tough to pick a key with singing because everyone has a different range. It’s extra tough with an arrangement like this one because it’s not the most conducive for using a capo to change the key since you’re playing throughout the span of the neck.This is a tough song to play with so many barre chords, the swung feel, and the fingerpicked sections. I thought you did excellent in all these areas! I would mainly focus your practicing on keeping it steady (timing wise). Try working on one verse or one chorus at a time sans vocals.
Lastly, see if you can get the chromatic walk-up intro to have more of a triplet rhythm. Check out this lesson for help with that rhythm.
@uku241 – Bravo! Excellent take, I really enjoyed watching your performance Brian! Keep up the great work π
@leb397 – Brilliant take Louisa and excellent job getting the strum technique down π
@andracass – Good to see you again, MT! Performance was great! Only thing I heard that was off was the chord hit in bar 13. Switch back to an F for that measure.
@bibilele – Excellent take! πEveryone on page 9 so far.
@bev400 – beautiful playing, well done!
@dividedsky – excellent take!
@antotonin – Woah! That was awesome! Killer groove throughout and you rocked that solo. A little more practice on that fast pentatonic lick and it’ll be perfect. The only other area to clean up is the plucked double stop section. It’s tough with how fast the tempo of this tune is. Overall, I loved your performance and the shades were a nice touch!
@turkgoose – great groove and feel throughout! Try looping measure 12 with me in the tab player. That’ll help tighten up the timing/rhythm of that bar. Overall, you aced it! Keep up the great work and thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate it π
AndrewKeymasterHi @jass007! Hope you join us for a monthly challenge. We have a lot of fun with them each month π
July 27, 2022 at 6:49 pm in reply to: Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele! #52880
AndrewKeymasterMy pleasure, Mark!
-
AuthorPosts