Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
November 19, 2020 at 10:52 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a #41980
AndrewKeymaster@mennloo – You did a great job!! 🙂 So I made this video awhile back for another member on a diff song, but it’s got tips that will help you out with what I think you are wanting to work on, which is: finesse. Also, check out this lesson, it dives further into developing this topic/concept.
November 19, 2020 at 1:58 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a #41976
AndrewKeymaster@emiliano – Again, I love the changes you threw in there! Very tasteful and well executed, bravo!
@eszti5mail – Well done! Great playing overall. One suggestion: try the hammer-on/pull-off technique for that lick in bar 6. I think it makes it sound much smoother than plucking every note 😉
@ukandrea – Recording quality sounds awesome! Love the tone you’re getting, Andrea 🙂 Here are my tips for you:November 18, 2020 at 6:04 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a #41963
AndrewKeymaster@lyndallk – Well done, Lyndall! So I’d actually recommend the same advice I gave Robin. Which was to play along with Stephen in the tab player. His playing will act as a guide to tighten up your rhythm and keeping the tempo steady. After that, I def think you should add the tempo alterations you did and make it your own 🙂
@lisamcc – I really dig the arpeggiated attack you do. Fits perfectly with this tune! Keep working on the ending, but very well played overall 🙂November 17, 2020 at 5:02 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a #41937
AndrewKeymaster@turkgoose – Excellent playing! Great feel and flow. Double check the chord in bar 15 and 16, the G5. Sounds like you were playing it diff. Keep up the great work 🙂
November 17, 2020 at 2:06 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a #41934
AndrewKeymaster@lisadmh – Bravo! Your creativity is inspiring! AJ and I loved it! Great job working in the harmony 🙂
@sir_anzalot – Fantastic performance and great feel in your playing! The only thing I heard was a couple hesitations, but overall bravo! And I’m glad you’re feeling better 🙂
@ukulelee – Thank you so much for the kind words, Leone! Your performance sounded great! The only suggestion I have is to try to memorize the music. It looks like he may have been reading while playing?
@misterbones – Ahh, sounds like a classic case of the nerves. When that kicks in, we tend to play faster. That happened to our drummer at this show, leaving me to play that crazy solo at a crazy fast BPM lol.So your playing sounds wonderful, I’d just slow the tempo down so the music breathes a bit more. But you already know that. Keep up the great work!
@cncamacho – Well done! I think you’ve got a great base established, so from here I’d take one section and work on boosting the tempo. Master that section and then do the same with the next, then piece it together. This will help you build speed faster rather than trying to do the entire song at a boosted tempo.
@robinboyd – Playing sounds great, Robin! I’d suggest playing along with Stephen in the on-screen tab player. I think he tracked it to a click as his timing is spot-on. Playing along with him will help keep you steady. Break it into sections if you need to.
@laurakarr12 – Sounds great, Laura! Keep working on the second section to get it to flow a bit steadier, but overall well done!
AndrewKeymasterWelcome, @zabernst! I’d check out this lesson and this one. That’ll be a good start for working on this.
November 14, 2020 at 3:05 pm in reply to: November 14, 2020 – Live Lesson: 5 Ukulele Players You Should Know #41911
AndrewKeymasterHi Marlie, the lesson is visible only from 12PM EST to about 1PM EST on the live lessons page. I take it down after broadcast. Did you try to access it after that time frame? That would explain why you didn’t see it.
AndrewKeymasterSounds more-so like a form issue. Can you share a video playing so I can see/hear what’s happening.
AndrewKeymasterCheck out this lesson. It explains straight vs. swung rhythm from 2 points of view: analytically and as a “feel”. Go through that entire lesson and learn the exercises. After that, playing any song with a swung feel will make 100 times more sense.
November 12, 2020 at 8:31 pm in reply to: November 14, 2020 – Live Lesson: 5 Ukulele Players You Should Know #41884
AndrewKeymasterThis month’s lesson was inspired by this forum post 🙂
November 12, 2020 at 8:22 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a #41880
AndrewKeymaster@janett75 – Well done, sounds great Janet! So for single note vibrato, you want to move the note up and down, not sideways. Sideways is for chords. Check out this lesson for a more in-depth explanation.
@schaap123 – Well played! So with your left hand, I’d recommend positioning your thumb slightly above the middle of the neck as opposed to where it is atm: floating above the neck. This will give you more dexterity with your fretting hand. Check out this lesson for a more in-depth look at proper left hand form.
@shann0potato – Here is my feedback for you and here is the lesson I referenced.
AndrewKeymasterNo, I’d do 4/4 with quarter note subdivision. Start slow, like 100 BPM. Try to tap your foot along to the click and count the rhythm’s out-loud while playing.
November 12, 2020 at 10:07 am in reply to: Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a #41869
AndrewKeymaster@pippin105 – My apologies, Linda. I somehow missed your entry! I thought you did really well. Excellent job on the timing. My only suggestion is to pluck a little bit lighter with your thumb. This is most notable in the B Melody, since it plays off the C string, which rings with the most volume. But a lighter pluck produces a softer, sweeter tone.
November 11, 2020 at 12:25 pm in reply to: Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a #41864
AndrewKeymaster@apoole – Great job on the timing and sustain of the slides. Wonderfully done, keep up the great work Anthony!
AndrewKeymasterYou can def do that! It lines up exactly with what Matt taught in that live lesson. You could even use the ring finger for both chords if you prefer that for the F (1).
-
AuthorPosts