Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 2,701 through 2,715 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Vote On Our Next Arrangement! #29257
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Sound of Silence is the winner! We’ll get on it 🙂

    Thx to all for voting!

    in reply to: Hello from Philadelphia! #29253
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Ohh, you’re gonna love our new course which is all about jazzing up your strumming. AND the course introduces a new teacher who lives in Philly 🙂 Should be out end of next month.

    And, welcome Shannon! Start here and let me know if you need help or have ?’s. Always happy to help.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    allieclaire1 – Check out these 2 lessons as well 🙂

    Choosing the Correct Fingering when Transitioning Between Chords

    Increasing Left Hand Reach

    hotmilktea – Well done!

    bklynsoul – Great job on the fade out ending, very natural sounding! So you actually left the feedback I would have suggested. When you practice with a metronome, target the areas that are tricky – like the walk up at the end of bar 3 into 4 and the first hit of bar 6 (the strum). Other than that, keep rocking it was awesome!

    yellowrosecottag – Great job! I think your focus for practicing should be on developing one section at a time and playing the section with a nice steady, flowing tempo. So for this piece, the first phrase is bars 1 through 4 (not playing beat 4). The second phrase is: beat 4 in bar 4 to bar 8 (again, not playing beat 4).

    When you get comfortable with that, put it together and you’ve got the entire A melody. 🙂

    lildevil – Actually I’d say the contrary – your timing was excellent! If you’ve got that in check, then I always recommend folks push themselves to help increase speed. BUT – and it’s a big but – timing and clean playing is most important. If these two areas are not in check, slow it down. But in your case, they are. Excellent work!

    andracass – Great job, MT! I’d recommend focusing on timing. This song is written in two bar phrases, so that’s what I would focus on. Master timing for:

    Bars 1-2
    3-4
    Then do 1-4

    Bars 5-6
    7-8
    Then do 5-8

    Then 1-8

    Breaking it into sections is the best way to practice.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hey Donovan, Stephen left you feedback for Stranger Things in this post.

    You did super well on SpongeBob! So listen to 47 seconds till the end – timing is spot on. What I would work on is the timing for the first part of the song. Slow down the tempo and loop a couple bars at a time. Work on keeping it steady, as you did with the ending of the song.

    When you get those 2 bars down, try the next 2 bars, then those 4 bars. So for example, that would look like:

    Bars 1-2
    Bars 3-4
    Bars 1-4

    Breaking songs down into chunks is a great way to practice 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @santai, that was awesome! The biggest takeaway of this lesson is performing it with a laid-back feel. Well done there!

    The one area that I’d work on is cleaning up your barre chords. There are generally two reasons that a barre chord does not ring out properly:

    1) finger strength – not enough is applied.
    2) form – incorrectly applied.

    In your case, it looks like the issue is #2. Work on getting the index finger straight, no curve.

    We dive into both of these areas (in complete detail) in our Beginners Course lesson on Barre Chords. Review that lesson and see if you can apply these tips to help clean up the chords.

    It’s also touched on in this lesson.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @kirpuff – That was excellent! Great feel and timing. I think the “mistakes” you referenced are just little notes or chords that aren’t 100% clean. I’d go back and listen through and target those areas in your practice.

    The only thing that stood out to me is the 3rd melody. I’d boost the tempo a hair, it’s very slow atm. Playing sections too slow sometimes makes it sound like it’s dragging.

    in reply to: Official RC101 Song Request List #29125
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Adding the requests that have been emailed to me. I tried to go through the list to remove the ones we’ve done, but might have missed one or two.

    Stay tuned for a vote off! As in, I’ll pick 4 songs from the list (not just this list below, but from the entire forum post) and you guys vote on the one you want.

    —-

    PayPhone – Maroon 5
    Stressed Out- Twenty One Pilots
    Pumped Up Kicks- Foster the People
    Lazy Song- Bruno Mars
    Rolling in the Deep- Adele
    Let It Be – Beatles
    Stressed Out – 21 Pilots
    Concerning Hobbits – Movie Theme
    Cats in the Cradle – Harry Chapin
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps – Beatles (2)
    You know I¥m no good – Amy Whitehouse
    Carol of the Bells
    All of Me – John Legend
    if I aint got you – alicia keys (2)
    Piano Man – Billy Joel
    Mary Jane’s Last Dance – Tom Petty
    Dance the Night Away – Van Halen
    I need a lover – John Cougar Melloncamp
    Tiny Dancer – Elton John
    Feeling Good – Nina Simone
    Give Me Love – Ed Sheeran
    Mexico – James Taylor
    Back to the Future Theme
    What Makes you Beautiful – One Direction
    Night Changes – One Direction
    Mad World – Gary Jules
    Hotel California – Eagles
    Should I Stay or Should I Go – The Clash
    A Million Years – Adele
    Take Me to Church – Hozier
    Sweet Caroline – Neil Diamond
    People Are Strange – Doors
    Ultralight Beam – Kanye
    Dock of the Bay – Otis Redding
    Henehene Kou ‘Aka – Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
    Should I Stay Or Should I Go – The Clash
    I Wanna Be Like You – Jungle Book – Disney
    Wind of Change – Scorpions
    Wild Horses – Rolling Stones
    Muchacho – Kings Of Leon
    One last Breath – Creed
    Lion King Theme
    To be with you – Mr Big
    Tracy Chapman – Fast Car
    Let It Be – Beatles
    Sound of Music medley
    Puff the Magic Dragon
    Rainbow Connection
    I Can’t Help Falling In Love
    Yesterday Once More – Carpenters
    From This Moment On – Shania Twain
    Hero’s Theme – Final Fantasy Tactics
    Hula Hula Boys – Warren Zevon
    Can’t Take My Eyes Off You – Frankie Valli
    Carolina on my mind – James Taylor
    Fire and Rain – James Taylor
    Harvest Moon – Neil Young
    Vincent Black Lightning 1952 – Richard Thompson
    Morning has Broken – Cat Stevens
    Never My Love – The Association
    Popcorn – Hot Butter
    Medley – Troggís Wild Thing (with a Jim Hendrix lick) and Louie Louie by the Kingsmen (12 Bar Blues medley)
    Fun fun fun (Beach boys)
    Talking about a Revolution (Tracy Chapman)
    Fast car (Tracy Chapman)
    Layla (Eric Clapton unplugged version)
    Feeling good (Nina Simone)
    The scientist (Coldplay)
    Sweet home Chicago (Buddy Guy and lots of others!)
    Thrill is gone (BB King)
    More Than Words – Extreme
    Great Fairy’s Fountain Theme – Legend of Zelda
    Ulli Boegershausen – The Cradle Song (by James S.
    Patience – Guns N Roses
    Shape Of My Heart – Sting
    Undertaker – WWE Theme
    Say You Won’t Let You Go – James Arthur
    Hey Jude – The Beatles
    Viva La Vida – Coldplay
    7 years – Lucas Graham
    Lovers in Japan – Coldplay
    Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd
    Love story ñ Taylor swift
    She will be loved – maroon 5
    Home – Michael buble
    All at once – jack Johnson
    This is amazing grace – Phil wickham
    Jealous – Labyrinth
    I Will Possess Your Heart – Death Cab for Cutie
    * Any Oasis Song *
    Dueling Banjos

    Gethsemane and Heaven on their minds from Jesus Christ Superstar
    Interstellar Theme – Hans Zimmer
    Pirates of Caribbean – Theme
    Photograph – Ed Sheeran
    Years From Now – Dr. Hook
    Lucky – Kat Edmonson
    Hukilau song
    The House Of The Rising Sun
    sound of silence – simon and garfunkel
    Spring to come – john butler trio
    Slow Dancing in a Burning Room – John Mayer
    Axel F
    Sentimental Journey
    Love Story – Taylor Swift
    Can’t Take My Eyes Off You – Frankie Valli and The 4 Seasons
    life on mars – David Bowie
    Ballade Pour Adeline
    Chopin
    Britney Spears
    Can’t help falling in love with you – Elvis Presley
    Shawn Mendes
    Despacito
    Misty
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Get Together – The Youngbloods
    river flows in you – yiruma
    Legend of Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke
    Blue Spanish Eyes
    Voodoo Child – Jimi Hendrix
    City Of New Orleans
    Tuyo – Rodrigo Amarente (Narcos Theme)
    La Vie En Rose
    Local Hero – Mark Knopfler
    Heart for life – John Mayer (2)
    ecstasy of gold
    Ruined Castle – Rentaro Taki
    The Search – Elliot Wheeler
    The Third Man – Movie Theme
    Hello Dolly
    The Charleston
    Hatikvah – Israel National Anthem
    Eternal Love Ending Song Liang Liang by Yang Zongwei and Zhang Bichen
    Much Needed Advice – From Movie “Coco”
    Westworld Theme
    Mariposa Traicionera – Mana
    I’ll be around – The Spinners
    Ants Marching – Dave Mathews Band
    O’ Canada – National Anthem
    Bandolero – Don Omar
    Unintended – Muse
    Kids – MGMT
    Karma Police – Radiohead
    Hey there delilah – Plain White T’s
    Chasing cars – snow patrol
    One Moment in Time – Whitney Houston
    Layla – Clapton
    O Come, O Come Emanuel
    Love of my Life – Queen
    I do I do – Charlie Mars
    Edelweiss- The Sound of Music
    A Million Dreams – The Greatest Showman
    Kissed From a Rose – Seal
    Mamma Mia – ABBA
    Semi-Charmed Life – Third Eye Blind
    Under Pressure – Queen and David Bowie
    Island in the Sun – Weezer
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road – Elton John
    Enjoy Myself – Phish
    The Night We Met – Lord Huron
    The Show – Lenka
    Tarantella – Puccini
    Hula Medley – Hal Kinnaman
    Rise – Eddie Vedder
    Love of my Life – Queen
    Are You Lonesome Tonight
    When You Wish Upon a Star
    My Buddy
    A Song of Old Hawaii
    Bye, Bye, Blackbird – Peggy Lee
    Blue hawaii: Dennis Pavao
    Holei- Dennis pavao
    Koko’e – led kaapana
    Palauea- lei ohu ryder
    Lucky- Jason Mraz
    Can’t help falling in love with you – Elvis
    I’ll remember you- Elvis
    Sing to me (Walter Martin featuring Karen O)
    Cracklin Rosie- Neil diamond
    More Beatles classics in general
    What would I do without you – drew holcomb and the neighbors

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @misswhitnum – Check out this post for tips on how other members approach memorizing.

    in reply to: Hello from Alabama #29074
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, jggriesi! That’s awesome that you are doing volunteer work. Happy you found us! 🙂

    in reply to: Hi from sunny Florida #29073
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, Dennis! Sounds like you have an awesome support system 🙂

    in reply to: Hello from Hong Kong #29053
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, ericdai! That’s a great song. We def will do a lesson on it one day 🙂

    in reply to: Cannot use on-screen tab viewer #29052
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Check out the 2nd video on this page and jump 6 minutes into it to learn how to use the tab player 🙂

    To answer your question: Synthetic is a computer play-back of the music, which also allows you to activate a metronome. That video covers this too.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @misswhitnum – Bravo! I’m super impressed, that’s amazing progress for 4 months of playing! Have you played an instrument before?

    Left hand form looks great. Your tone is soft and sweet, perfect for the vibe of this piece. The only thing I can suggest is to memorize it. That way you can focus 100% on how you are playing it; which was the big takeaway of this lesson.

    If you watch/read through some of the feedback I left members from earlier this month, I talk about how Rubato plays a big role in this piece. That may be something you may want to experiment with.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Cool! I have the loudbox mini. They are great amps!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Becky’s right, big difference! Especially that 3rd melody. You’ve matched the correct feel and now this piece has a hauntingly beautiful timbre. Well done!

    BTW, what amp are you playing through? Reverb sounds good!

Viewing 15 posts - 2,701 through 2,715 (of 4,195 total)