Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 3,136 through 3,150 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Andrew
    Keymaster

    My pleasure!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here is everyone on page 9:

    edward, nice job! Your notes have a nice clarity to them. What I’d work on is breaking it into sections and focusing on one section of the time. Follow the steps in our practice guide, and it will help you get it down quicker and flow smoother.

    hotmilktea, very lovely! I literally said “nice” in the middle of your performance! You are doing a really good job, keep up the great work! The only tip I have is to try a little bit of a lighter tap for that harmonic hit.

    nggnmm, I thought you had a really solid performance! There are some subtleties that you can brush up on, but have you and your wife tried to play together? She has great timing mixed with a natural feel, practicing alongside her is literally the real life equivalent of playing alongside the on-screen tab viewer.

    I also want to bring up an interesting point: You mentioned saying that you will work harder next month. Again, I thought you did very well this month but imagine where it would have been if you had put in the extra work πŸ˜‰

    russellbarnett, here is a video with feedback for you πŸ™‚

    coffeemug, nice job! You’ve definitely got some speed, but I think this is a piece that sounds better at a bit of a more moderate tempo. Now keep in mind that this is my opinion, because the interpretation of music is always up to the performer.

    But I’d encourage you to slow it down a notch and to play alongside the on-screen tab viewer. This will act as a guide and help keep you in time. I’d also recommend to lighten your attack of the right-hand a little bit, this will produce a sweeter sounding tone.

    timolnz, great job Tim! So I’d actually recommend the same advice I left for coffeemug above, but also check out the advice I left for edward in reference to referring to our practice guide and tackling sections one at a time over playing the entirety of the piece.

    gstriph, you have a really nice tone to your playing πŸ™‚ so I can see that you were reading off the sheet music, and the first thing I always recommend is to memorize the piece. The reason why is that you will be better able to focus on how you are playing it, which is what we talked in great detail about in this lesson.

    I’d also recommend the same advice I left above for timolnz. I think it will be very beneficial for you too.

    rpina61, here is a video with some feedback πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here is everyone on page 8:

    brettboy, I loved it!

    For those who are reading this feedback, go back to page 8 and watch Brett’s performance. What he did is adapt the arrangement from Low G to baritone. These instruments are in different tunings, so in order to perform it in the same key, there are two options:

    1) use a capo – allows you to retain the same fingerings as notated for low G.

    2) go without – requires a thorough understanding of the fretboard.

    The latter is what he chose, essentially re-arranging the piece. To do so requires an understanding of theory, but a great place to start learning how to do this is by studying the CAGED method.

    So back to feedback, I thought it was brilliant and the above is really the crowning jewel. Transcribing and arranging is a complete musician workout, same as doing a deadlift is a full body workout.

    Couple critiques: Watch the timing, sometimes the flow of the piece became sluggish. And watch the left hand fingering form, sometimes you pull strings down when fretting chords, which as you know will cause it to go sharp.

    lisadmh, that was really good Lisa! So it looks and sounds like you were doing rest stroke, correct? Your technique looks great, although I would move your positioning back a bit more towards over the sound hole.

    I’d turn your focus towards smoothing out the attack of rest stroke in the tricky sections, such as bars 13-16. But overall I’m super proud of you, this was a really good performance and I can tell that you put a lot of work into it πŸ™‚

    sprintingyogini, here is a video with some tips πŸ™‚

    in reply to: Empty last measure #20827
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Tab formatting! I notate in guitar pro and it squishes the last bars of the piece, looking like this:

    null

    Instead of being legible:

    null

    So I created an extra bar after, so that it’s easier to read, as seen above. But, I actually just found out you can “stretch” a bar – so you won’t be seeing that note anymore.

    in reply to: Hello, from Lansing, Michigan USA. #20807
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, martinc! That’s awesome that your family plays!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Thank you so kindly, Russell! For anyone donating who wishes to remain anonymous in the amount, please do send me an email so that I can keep a tally going πŸ™‚

    It’s awesome to see posts already on day 1 and if you didn’t see in our email yesterday, we have raised $435 already. TRULY AMAZING!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hey guys, Stephen and I will be leaving feedback for everyone shortly. Like last month, we’ll tackle one page at a time. We will post page 8 and above soon πŸ™‚

    —-

    becky7777, wonderful playing! I really dig the melody variation you through in for the A melody. Your timing and note clarity sounds great, what I’d work on is boosting the tempo a bit. Start easy, five or ten BPM from where you’re at. When you feel comfortable with that, go up another 5 or 10. Keep up the great work!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Wow, Robin & Tiffany, Bravo! Truly fantastic performance. This entire month has been exciting to see your progress, but what’s most impressive is your focus on the details that bring this piece to life. Your final take exudes feel throughout with a thoughtful execution of dynamics to build and resolve. This is what music is about – relaying an emotion.

    in reply to: Official RC101 Song Request List #20703
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    I definitely want to do that one, Robin! Next year I think we’ll start having some votes on request that have come in, the list is just too big at this point.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Thank you so kindly for your generosity, Anne πŸ™‚ I’m so happy your husband is healing!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Def give it a shot, Kay! It will be a great one for your voice! One helpful tip for the upcoming lesson, you can actually simplify every chord down from a 4 string barre to a partial 3 string barre (in other words, don’t play string 4), which will make it much easier.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    LOL Robin! And thank you so kindly Kanni! You rock πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Awesome, Lisa! I think it’s actually the easiest advanced one on here, even if it is the longest. Lemme know if you need help! And the cost is $40 USD per uke.

    I’m working on getting the behind the scenes stuff for this Friday’s lesson and it is a really beautiful arrangement from Katie πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    AMAZING! THANK YOU SARA! You rock!

    And hey, who doesn’t love a good ‘ole fashion family road trip hahaha

    in reply to: 5 String Ukulele #20655
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Never played one.

Viewing 15 posts - 3,136 through 3,150 (of 4,195 total)