Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 3,121 through 3,135 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Andrew
    Keymaster

    That’s a good way to practice, Becky! If anyone is new to subdividing the beat, check out this video where I touched on it as it relates to triplets:

    in reply to: New “Pocket” Ukulele! #21058
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Sounds like Jake’s is a whole step up.

    in reply to: I Don’t Know My Name #21028
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Well done! Timing and note clarity sounds great on the first half. When it picks up, try and relax your right arm/writs more, should make it easier to play. Keep up the great work!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    You’re gonna love the reading course I’m writing Laura. It’s all about developing rhythm and timing with help via the friendly metronome 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Your hard work shows 🙂 Keep it up, Kevin!

    I look forward to your next one, Benita!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here is feedback for the last post on page 14 and all on 15:

    andracass, MT, take 2 has a much better flow – especially in the B melody. I see both takes are 4 days apart, what was your practice schedule like?

    I’d like you to turn your focus when practicing to spending one day at a time on a four or eight bar phrase. Focusing on one section at a time will help you get things down better, like muscle memory and timing.

    der-binni, very nice playing! Couple things to watch out for:

    1) thumb placement – try and bring it down a notch, so that it sits slightly about the middle of the neck. Check out form 1 from this article to visually see this.

    2) picado – give this technique a shot. It’s great for developing speed and dexterity in the right hand.

    3) tapped harmonic – try a lighter, quicker hit. Check back earlier in this forum, as I believe I made a video for another member or two talking in more detail about this.

    kmelton, wow, great job! Picking form looks great, I can hear and see the dexterity of your right hand is developing nicely.

    So it’s pretty clear to hear that you know when to execute dynamics – which is what this lesson was all about. So very good job in that regard.

    What you’ll want to work on is smoothing it out and the overall flow. By smoothing out, I want you to pay really close attention to the tempo. As it is right now, some sections are faster and others are slower. So try to pick a universal tempo as you continue to work throughout the piece. Also review the ending.

    P.S. January will be full of low G lessons 🙂

    benita, you are too hard on yourself, which is good – it shows that you care. But seriously, that was brilliant! I’ve got to share this on one of our social medias at some point this coming week. Very well done 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Great lead playing, Brett! Very melodic.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    That sounds really cool, Brett! Def share a video 🙂

    We’ll be leaving feedback for everyone we haven’t over the next week and will announce the winner of the Taimane lesson and uke in a special end of year video which will come out next Friday! Thanks for baring with us.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    I will ask her and get back to you, Robin.

    in reply to: Hello from Ontario, Canada #20901
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    LOL that sounds nice! Glad you found us 🙂 Rock on!

    in reply to: Hello from S Florida! #20890
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome Becky! Awesome to hear you are enjoying playing 🙂 If you ever need help, don’t hesitate to ask!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    No worries, all donations can be made directly on their site. For US: https://theukc.org/donations/. For other countries, please scroll down to the footer of their site for donation links. 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Thank you so kindly, magicgnome!

    springer1, I don’t believe they accept ukes directly but you can ask them: https://theukc.org/contact/.

    in reply to: New “Pocket” Ukulele! #20881
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Nice! They call them sopranissimo, right? Great playing btw 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here is everyone on page 10 and 11:

    uku_on, nice job! So I want to bring up a point that you made, which was: “I think I’m hitting the strings a little bit too harshly.”

    This is a really good thing because if you are critical of your playing, it shows that you care.

    So you’ve already evaluated you’re playing and given yourself feedback on what to work on. But I’ll go a step further and recommend to check out the advice I left a couple posts above for gstriph. Check out the lesson link I left for him, it will be good for you too.

    mheiden, well done Maureen! So there are a couple things I’d work on. First, I’d turn your focus towards getting the peace to flow a little smoother. And the best way to do this is to tackle one or 2 sections at a time, as defined in our practice guide.

    Second, with the rasgueado strum, you want the fingers to roll independently of each other. So, pinky hits the strings first, then ring, middle, finally index. Try to practice each hit slowly as demonstrated in the lesson. Your goal is to gain independence in each finger before trying to speed it up.

    zukulele, great playing Zion! One thing I’d like to hear more of is the unique attack sound provided by rasgueado. Check out the advice I left above for Maureen. Everything else sounded great, very solid performance!

    stinyuke, here is a quick video with feedback 🙂

    Here’s our lesson on proper right hand form and also check out the beginner’s course for additional lessons.

    casadot349, here is a quick video with feedback 🙂

    Here’s our lesson on proper right hand form and also left hand form.

    kanae926, so I already sent you a message saying how awesome this was and it truly is. I’m really impressed with how your playing is developing. I don’t have any constructive feedback because the truth is you’re already doing what you’re supposed to. Keep up the great work 🙂

    andracass, nice job MT! I’d like you to give picado technique a shot, it’s super useful and it’ll break you out of using only one finger for picking.

    One thing I’ve noticed throughout the months that you’ve been posting is that it sounds like you struggle to get through pieces. Now I can tell you to go read our practice guide, but you already know all this stuff. My assumption as a teacher is that you are not devoting enough time for practice.

    I hope you realize I’m not trying to be harsh rather I want to push you, because I know you can do better. So let me know if I’m right or wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 3,121 through 3,135 (of 4,195 total)