Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,351 through 1,365 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Hi there from Barcelona #50871
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, Toni! Glad to have you on-board.

    Hope you join us in this month’s challenge. It’s a great way to stay motivated, make friends, and have fun πŸ™‚

    The blues strumming tune from the Beginner’s Course is one of the songs you can pick for this month.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @taylor22jane – Beautifully played, Taylor! Great job on nailing the change in feels too. And yes, I could use a summer day just about now LOL

    in reply to: I am feeling a bit frustrated, with myself #50844
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hi @xerxes, Robin wrote a brilliant response which I agree with and hope you found helpful. Our lessons are geared more-so for the fingerstyle player than the singer/strummer. While we do have quite a few singing and strumming lessons up, most will be geared for folks that want to do something beyond the beginner level.

    Robin mentioned UU and the Uke Teacher, but I’d also recommend Katie with One Music School and Bernadette Teaches Music on YouTube for beginner-friendly singing/strumming lessons.

    Our Beginner’s Course will prep you from day 1 (how to hold the uke) all the way to playing your first fingerstyle songs (using: fingerpicking and strumming). I recall offering some advice for you in this forum post which was related to the Beginner’s Course.

    Which BTW, I see you’ve made excellent progress! You’re into the performance song modules now. That’s where the fun starts πŸ™‚

    In that post, I recommended setting up a practice schedule that consisted of 3 parts. The 3rd part was songs. Besides the tunes in the Beginner’s Course, I’d add this lesson to your song list. It’s our beginner-friendly lesson that teaches you how to sing and strum.

    As far as warm-up exercises, check out this lesson. It’s a great warm up tool that builds dexterity in your fretting hand. Plus, you can do it to a metronome to work on timing πŸ™‚

    You mentioned:

    I was gifted a number of ukulele song books they have the chords and notes of the sung notes but most don’t have strumming patterns.

    A lot of simple songs can be played using the Island Strum. But it doesn’t work for every song. If you need a bit of help with the tunes in that book, this is something Stephen can help you with in a one-on-one private lesson.

    I’d also encourage you to join our February Challenge. The beginner blues strumming tune from the Beginner’s Course is one of the songs you can pick for this month. Challenges are a great way to stay motivated as it gives you a goal to aim for, which is to learn a song within a month and share your performance with our community πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @zongozongo – Great job on the feel and vibe of this tune! Only thing I’d say is to work on timing and keeping it steady. Try playing along with a metronome or switching the tab player to “synthetic” mode. Tackle one theme at a time.

    in reply to: G’day from Melbourne Australia! #50829
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Thanks for the kind words, Ashton! Glad to have you on-board πŸ™‚

    in reply to: Songs with drone notes / lessons to increase speed? #50818
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s a couple that come to mind:

    1) Ode to Joy

    2) Fingerpicking Etude no. 13

    And here’s a more challenging one that uses a pedal tone in the A melody:

    3) Classical Etude

    in reply to: Hello from Port Elliot S Australia #50803
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, David! Glad to have you on-board πŸ™‚

    in reply to: MASH THEME #50794
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Sounds beautiful! I agree with Melanie, they will love it πŸ™‚

    in reply to: Lovers March #50793
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Sounding great, Mark! One suggestion, try to swing the rhythm just a bit more.

    Keep up the good work and P.S. I like it at that tempo πŸ™‚

    in reply to: How Deep is Your Love progress #50792
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    WOW! I just sent it to Steven to watch. I can’t believe your progress. It’s incredible!

    in reply to: Hello from Portugal #50791
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Yes, you can πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @henri0 – Great performance! The only thing I’d suggest is to use the same strumming motion you did for 26 seconds to 30 for the rest of the tune. Will give it a more natural strum sound then a flick of the index finger.


    @mikeramsey2
    – Beautiful performance and great job on nailing the playful feel and dynamic change for the last part πŸ™‚


    @turkgoose
    – Melody, technique 1, 2 and 4 sound great! But watch your tempo, try to keep it a bit more steady. For the sweep strum, I want to hear more of the rasgueado burst. So that’s where I would focus your practice at. Overall, well done! Keep up the great work!

    in reply to: Hello from Portugal #50780
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hi @pluribus,

    We launched baritone lessons last year: https://rockclass101.com/songcategories/?_sft_post_tag=baritone

    Robin’s steps were correct for accessing those lessons. You can manually access them by clicking β€œUkulele Songs” in the main menu, then selecting β€œBaritone” in the filter on the right hand side of the site:

    null

    There’s 8 lessons up right now with a new one coming out Feb 18.

    At the moment, all we’re planning to do with baritone is stand-alone lessons on songs. If you’re looking for courses or general playing lessons, you’ll want to grab a high or low G uke as we have hundreds of lessons for those tunings.

    P.S. Did you know that you can play any low G arrangement on baritone? Although you will be playing in a different key.

    You can use the same sorting method detailed above to find all of our low G content πŸ™‚

    in reply to: Our NEW Strumming Course is Out! #50749
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @evapaju – Matt says: Doesn’t matter if it’s open hand or close hand technique, just try to be able to do both and select what is more natural for the situation.

    in reply to: Our NEW Strumming Course is Out! #50744
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @evapaju – Let me ask Matt and get back to you on this.


    @sarahmusic
    – I agree, it would be very helpful! I just submitted the idea as a feature request to the course developer πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1,351 through 1,365 (of 4,195 total)