Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
AndrewKeymasterSounds great! For the latter, try to have less motion of the strum coming from the wrist. You want the attack to come from the flick of the index instead π
December 15, 2020 at 11:20 pm in reply to: Participate in the December 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a #42981
AndrewKeymaster@gstriph – That sounds smoother π From here on, try looping 2 bars at a time in the tab player, slowed down to whatever is comfortable for you, and work on matching Steven’s playing 100%.
December 15, 2020 at 2:10 pm in reply to: Participate in the December 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a #42976
AndrewKeymaster@cauer2 – Well played, Chris! I love the commentary of your kids, they are adorable π And that’s very sweet of you to do for your daughter.
@antotonin – Here is my feedback for you.
@lyndallk – Thank you so kindly for your donation Lyndall! Please email me with the amount as I’m keeping a tally of how much we raised π And great job on the song! Only thing I’d suggest is to memorize it.
@mweir1 – Playing sounds great, Mairi! Great feel overall. Watch the video above, the second half covers a timing tip for that tune. It’s the same feedback I’d suggest for you to work on.
@misterbones – You play well, Michael – but, yes the timing needs a bit of focused practice. But if you read the comment I left for Mairi (above you) which references the feedback I left for Antonin. Watch the second half of the video for him – it’s got a tip on working on timing with this tune. That seems to be a difficult area for this song – so just know that it’s not hard for you only.December 14, 2020 at 7:50 pm in reply to: Participate in the December 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a #42954
AndrewKeymaster@cncamacho – Sounds great overall! I’d suggest working on timing. Try 4 bars at a time. Get 1-4 down with perfect timing. Then 5-8. Then go back and do 1-8. Continue the rest of the song with this approach π
@qiuyan – Here is my feedback for you.
@pippin105 – Well played! One tip: Keep your index finger barred for the first two bars of Theme 2. How you’re playing it now requires less finger strength, but it actually makes that passage more difficult to play because your left hand has to do a lot more movement. I think where you’re at right now with speed is great, try five or ten BPM faster as you continue to work on it. When that becomes comfortable, bump it up another 5 or 10.
@ukandrea – Sounds great, Andrea! A little bit more practice and you’ll have it in one take π
@gstriph – Here is my feedback for you.
AndrewKeymasterWelcome, Dave! Thanks for sharing your story π
December 13, 2020 at 7:03 pm in reply to: December 12, 2020 β Live Lesson: How to Become a More Confident Ukulele Player #42936
AndrewKeymasterHere’s the video if you missed the live stream π
AndrewKeymaster@luv2uke – Unfortunately, no. But they do offer subscription plans to use their service. Take a look to see if that meets what you are looking for: https://www.soundslice.com/
December 12, 2020 at 1:07 pm in reply to: Participate in the December 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a #42908
AndrewKeymaster@shmu88 – Aced it, Sam! Great feel – and a lot of that comes from relaxing while playing π
I have no critics really – but I do have a comment. The B Melody has some open string chords with the 4th and 3rd open. When I was practicing I found it hard to hit the chord and not let that C string dominate the sound (for ex: 1:08 in your video). That’s the only thing I’d suggest working on.
@sebaraedo – Wonderfully played, bravo!
@andyrose – TY so kindly for your donation, you rock!December 11, 2020 at 7:22 pm in reply to: December 12, 2020 β Live Lesson: How to Become a More Confident Ukulele Player #42892
AndrewKeymasterAndy – don’t miss this when I post it live. He’s talking about some scientific study that relates exactly to what your 2nd paragraph states.
December 9, 2020 at 10:12 pm in reply to: Participate in the December 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a #42819
AndrewKeymaster@lakeside339 – that’s normal, nothing to worry about it π BUT – you can minimize the unwanted string noise by using the palm of the right hand to touch the string after your play the final note of the phrase and move downwards to the third string (and same for 3 to 2, etc).
I talked about this concept in greater detail in this lesson.
December 9, 2020 at 2:19 pm in reply to: Participate in the December 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a #42814
AndrewKeymaster@johanna2509 – Sounds great, Johanna! Glad you saw the previous feedback video on h/o & p/o. Those tips should help you. I’d also say to hammer-on a little bit harder, it doesn’t look/sound like your connecting through enough. Baseball analogy: swing through the pitch. Same thing here – the finger needs to come down with enough force to get the note to ring clear π
AndrewKeymasterGreat course idea, Nathalie! I’ll keep it in mind and will reach out to you directly about the teaching question π
AndrewKeymasterTY so kindly, Lisa! I def took your advice in naming songs! AJ and I are working on the next concept lesson and I thought you’d get a kick out of the opening text for this soon to be released lesson π

AndrewKeymasterHi Mark, every lesson for the last few years has sections labeled in the video (Melody A, B, etc):

And bar numbers for each measure:

The best suggestion I have is to scroll through the video using the preview window until you find the section or bar you’re working on π
December 7, 2020 at 1:46 pm in reply to: Participate in the December 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a #42773
AndrewKeymaster@hiloukes – Beautifully played! Couple tips: For the quick h/o p/o lick, try not to rush it. Keep in mind that it should encompass the time span of an eighth note. And when you do the barre chord at the 1st fret, make sure your finger isn’t on top of the metal fret. You want to be as close to the metal fret, but not on top of it. That should help the chord ring out clearer. Overall, it was awesome! Keep up the great work π
@marianne – Thank you so kindly for your donation!! Your performance was great! I’d suggest maybe a touch slower in the tempo so it lets the music breathe a bit more, but that’s IMO – I always encourage you guys to take it and make it your own π
@patparr – Great job on the timing! Performance was great overall! At this point, I’d be thinking about how you’re playing the notes and chords – for ex: some can be played softer and others louder. Basically thinking about dynamics and finesse. Check out the links for lessons that Matt taught that go deeper into those areas.
@rebecaβ¨ – Beautifully played! I like the ritardandos you threw in there too π -
AuthorPosts