Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 3,106 through 3,120 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Andrew
    Keymaster

    nthibode – Wow Nathalie! Your phrasing has such beauty, I had to listen twice πŸ™‚

    in reply to: My first gig! #21422
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Congrats! Please say there’s video!!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Thank you so kindly for your generosity, Brett and Zion! Evan J De Silva has graciously donated $50 too.

    We have 25 entries in so far and with our donation of $5 per entry this means:

    WE DID IT! We’ve surpassed our fundraising goal and have now raised $1,006.47. Absolutely amazing! πŸ™‚ Thanks to everyone who has participated and donated!

    Let’s set a new goal and go for $1,500!

    in reply to: My new uke just arrived #21375
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Sounds lovely! Pono’s are great ukes πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Good catch! Thanks for letting me know πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Great job, Becky! Look forward to hearing it πŸ™‚

    And to answer your ? – it is a WordPress feature that I have disabled. Which is why it does nada.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hi guys. I’m waiting on something special – so the video announcing the winner of the Taimane lesson and uke is on delay. Will release asap.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @miztaken – I’m not sure I understand.

    Looks good eric, but you forgot to write “i am a premium member” on your post πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Lisa, well the rules of the challenge are to play the entire arr. So at least that much. I know that song has more verses… but not required.

    in reply to: Hello from Melbourne Australia #21152
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, Ian! That’s a fun tune and that looks AWESOME! πŸ™‚

    in reply to: Tip for playing in public? #21141
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Start with a couple easy ones. Nerves usually subside by the 3rd tune. Be prepared and have fun. People just want to listen and have fun, there’s really no pressure, but everyone’s counting on you πŸ™‚

    in reply to: Hello from Idaho #21106
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, Bryan! Glad you found us πŸ™‚ If you ever need help on the lessons, I’m always around.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED THIS MONTH! WE HAD 70 ENTRIES! YOU GUYS ROCK!

    Hope to see everyone in our December Challenge December is your LAST CHANCE to win the Kanile’a!

    I’ll be announcing the winner of the skype lesson with Taimane (plus signed uke and cd) in a special end of year video this Friday!

    Here is a list of everyone who participated. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

    —-

    TAIMANE ENTRIES

    Count: 15

    deadbuggy
    jakeypoo
    rickkhan
    robinboyd
    brettboy
    russellbarnett
    lyndallk
    annefgodfrey
    ukukelley1
    kmelton
    hondamom
    benjamin
    planetfink
    suzums
    sudave

    —-

    KANILE’A ENTRIES

    EXTRA ENTRIES

    carmen-s (Instagram Bonus)

    Count: 70

    deadbuggy
    deadbuggy
    jakeypoo
    rickkhan
    rickkhan
    brenna
    brenna
    poopsies
    hafeez3115
    hafeez3115
    kmelton
    kmelton
    planetfink
    planetfink
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    becky7777
    brettboy
    brettboy
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    sprintingyogini
    sprintingyogini
    edward
    edward
    nggnmm
    hotmilktea
    hotmilktea
    russellbarnett
    russellbarnett
    coffeemug
    coffeemug
    timolnz
    timolnz
    gstriph
    gstriph
    rpina61
    rpina61
    uku_on
    uku_on
    mheiden
    mheiden
    zukulele
    zukulele
    stinyuke
    stinyuke
    casadot349
    kanae926
    kanae926
    andracass
    andracass
    dreadhead
    dreadhead
    kellyblackburn
    kellyblackburn
    incywincy
    incywincy
    felixpitterling
    felixpitterling
    annefgodfrey
    annefgodfrey
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    rickeymike
    rickeymike
    laurasil
    laurasil
    hzhuodie
    springer1
    springer1
    jacoob_slezak
    jacoob_slezak
    ryzeonly
    ukukelley1
    ukukelley1
    der-binni
    der-binni
    benita
    curlyuke
    curlyuke
    hondamom
    hondamom
    karenj
    karenj
    marni11
    marni11
    ultramom
    ultramom
    timstacks
    timstacks
    peropata
    peropata
    benjamin
    benjamin
    shortman
    shortman
    josephus
    akshxd
    akshxd
    planetfink
    planetfink
    arbuscula
    arbuscula
    pauvaliente
    flora-
    gtrdude6
    gtrdude6
    yukalele
    yukalele
    sudave
    sudave
    lisamcc
    lisamcc
    ukuleleloo
    ukuleleloo
    suzums
    suzums
    cyberloh
    cyberloh
    suzie1
    cconuku
    cconuku
    joannetala
    joannetala
    mayaqatsi
    mayaqatsi
    cmab81
    cmab81

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here is everyone on page 17:

    gtrdude6, here is a video with some tips and here are the two lessons I referenced:

    1) https://rockclass101.com/swung-vs-straight-rhythm/

    2) https://rockclass101.com/proper-left-hand-ukulele-form/

    yukalele, here is a video with some tips:

    sudave, nice job! I’d like you to focus on your timing when you’re practicing. Take a four bar phrase and play along with the on-screen tab viewer. When you can lock in with me, or the computer playback in “synthetic” mode, move on to the next four bars. Then piece the eight bars together. Continue on with this approach for the remainder of the tune. This acts as a guide to help reinforce keeping the tempo steady.

    Okay so I just got to your version of “Moon”. Your timing on this was much better than the other tune. And big props for getting both tunes down this month. So you already know that you need to keep working on this one. Couple things that stick out: Focus on getting proper form and finger strength for some of the chords that buzz. And try to tackle one section at a time; similar to the advice above.

    When you working on that one section, think about the dynamics that we talked about in the lesson video and how you can incorporate them into your playing. But overall, very good job. To me it sounds like you worked on this one a lot more than the other.

    lisamcc, ohh I like the twiddles and your smile at the end. πŸ™‚ Excellent execution on the Rasgueado, honestly sounds better than mine! My only critique is to watch your tempo a little bit more, see if you can keep it flowing a bit more steady. But super good job this month!

    ukuleleloo, great job! Here is one tip for you:

    suzums, bravo! You play beautifully. πŸ™‚ Great feel, great tone, and great picking/fretting form. That’s three Greats in a row, lol! You also showed tasteful use of dynamics, but I would say don’t be afraid to go harder when the song builds – strumming and picking with more force will help to emphasize those sections. Keep up the great work!

    cyberloh, awesome job this month! I can hear you’ve been practicing. Timing sounds really good. In the B Melody, you play a D minor, should be an F chord. So you want to swap that out. I left a video above for ukuleleloo, it was on hammer on and pull off tips. Check it out I think it will be useful for you too. But again, really great performance this month πŸ™‚

    suzie1, okay big lesson here, always play through your mistakes. If you miss a note, keep going. If you play a wrong chord, don’t stop and backtrack and play the right chord, keep going. Always pretend you are playing with a band, they will not wait for you if you mess up, they will keep going.

    For what you did play, I thought you did well. I would go back and review some of the rhythms and watch your timing. Also, don’t be afraid to try the picado technique, it’s super useful!

    cconuku, nice job! So it looks like you were reading off the music, correct? If so, I’d encourage you to work on memorizing it. But focus on one section at a time, for example an 8 bar section. When tackling the eight bar section, follow the advice (first paragraph) I left for sudave above. Memorizing allows you to focus on how you are playing it (which we talked about in this lesson: https://rockclass101.com/copying-good-thing/) but also the mechanics behind your left and right hand.

    Sometimes I noticed you hug the neck, sometimes you didn’t. Check out the video I left for gtrdude6 and yukalele (I think I touched most about not hugging the neck in the first video). And, don’t be afraid to try the picado technique, it’s super useful!

    joannetala, that was really good! It’s definitely a toughie for a beginner and I’m really proud of how well you did. ESPECIALLY, that you used picado. That technique was a big takeaway of this lesson. So what I would do is focus on the same advice (first paragraph) I left for sudave above. Breaking songs into sections is a great way to master them easier and quicker. Keep up the great work!

    mayaqatsi, here is a video with some tips for you:

    cmab81, great job, Kashif! I want you to watch the first video that I left on this post for gtrdude6. It talks about a few points but I want you to listen to these 2: not hugging the neck and lightening up your attack. So with the latter, you have a really nice tone when fingerpicking, but if you were to lighten up the strum attack, I think it would blend better with the prettiness of the fingerpicking. And the video right above your feedback, that would be a good one for you to check out for tips on rasgueado technique. Keep up the great work, you are sounding awesome πŸ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    benjamin, amazing job! Last month, I gave you a challenge that revolved around developing your timing; specifically, getting the music to flow evenly. And boy oh boy, it really sounds like you focused on this area and it totally blew me away! Very well done this month πŸ™‚

    P.S. I’d still love to see you submit a video of the custom challenge song I chose for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 3,106 through 3,120 (of 4,195 total)