Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
AndrewKeymasterI think you mean the next bar (5th from last). It’s 16th note hits.
1 (2) &a 3 (4) &a
1 2 3& (123)
I understand what you mean, but they are quite different. Try to count and clap the rhythm above with metronome or on-screen tab viewer. Post video here and I’m happy to listen to make sure you understand the difference.
AndrewKeymasterMy pleasure!
June 30, 2019 at 1:47 pm in reply to: Participate in the June 2019 Member Challenge – LAST Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #28573
AndrewKeymasterFriendly reminder, the deadline is tonight at 11:59 P.M. EST. Anything submitted past the deadline will not count for the giveaway or receive feedback. (check your local time zone)
Below are the last two folks on page 12.
—-
annefgodfrey – Way to go on nailing the percussive rhythm section! So good!
So your comment about consistency tells me that you know exactly what to work on. Take 4 bars at a time and focus on keeping the timing steady. The hardest part is the transition from one chord to the next. So focus on that area.
When you get the four bars down, target the next four, then work on 1 through 8. Then do the last four. And try 1 through 12.
jedart – July’s live lesson will be all about playing & practicing with a metronome. Hope you can tune in for it 🙂
Fingerpicking section sounds good! Try and work on boosting tempo, 5 BPM at a time.
AndrewKeymasterWelcome, Tony! Really cool that you build. That’s something I’ve wanted to try, but just for fun. I really enjoy the process of creating something.
From what you wrote, it sounds like putting a practicing plan together would benefit you greatly. Start here. But, from what I gather, you are most interested in:
1) Learning to jam. You can write the theory (scales), but you need to work on translating it into your playing. Knowing theory without being able to apply it, unfortunately doesn’t help much in the real world (jamming, improv). This course will help you connect the dots.
2) I’m sure you’ve studied CAGED. But a refresh & focusing on applying it will help. This lesson (at the end of it) shows you how to do that.
3) Concept lessons are good to check out too. They are all related to jam scenarios.
Start with these and let me know if you have questions/need help on the lessons 🙂
AndrewKeymasterThis should help 🙂
June 27, 2019 at 9:17 pm in reply to: Participate in the June 2019 Member Challenge – LAST Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #28500
AndrewKeymaster
And I really love the slide sound, sliding up from the 3rd fret. Nice touch and awesome performance! 🙂
June 27, 2019 at 5:09 pm in reply to: Participate in the June 2019 Member Challenge – LAST Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #28498
AndrewKeymasterjoannetala – This has to be your best performance I’ve heard yet! I am super impressed! 🙂 I know we’ve talked about rhythm in our feedback for the last month or two, and it definitely sounds like you focused on that this month. Keep up the excellent work!
joe150 – Great job, Joe! So there are a few things I want to point out:
1) I’d recommend resting your right hand pinky on the body, underneath the sound hole. Check out this article to visually see placement recommendation. Placing it here should help with dexterity and mobility when fingerpicking.
2) I know I linked this lesson which helped simplify the rhythmic breakdown. But I’d recommend taking it a step further with simplifying. Try strumming muted quarter notes and counting throughout the 12 Bars while playing alongside a metronome.
3) Don’t forget that after the breakdown, the song goes back into the 12 Bar melody. Double check the form.
karenj – Way to go! Here is a helpful video that breaks down the rhythm I used in the performance.
The main pattern is:
1 2 &a (3) e& 4 &a
1 2 &a (3) e& 4I’d recommend to put it into “synthetic” mode on the tab player and slow it down and loop the 2 bar phrase. If you don’t know how to do this, watch the 2nd video on this page and skip 6 minutes into it.
Bonus lesson that simplifies rhythm.
en_joy – Dang, bro! You killed it. Rhythm, timing, and feel were spot on. Amazing!
soraya06 – So well done! A couple pauses here and there, but sounds like a little more practice will fix that. I’d focus most of your practice on the Outro. And one helpful tip: Watch out for bending at the first joint, like the D7 at 24 seconds. Always keep the finger curved and on fingertip. 🙂
cyukug – Excellent playing, form looks great, and wonderful job on the triplet strum technique. Couple things I noticed:
1) Double check the rhythm for the last bar in Melody B (bar 20) as you rushed it.
2) The last bar before the solo should end on a G, not Cm.
llmairalmiquel Excellent playing and feel 🙂 Couple suggestions:
1) I’d sub out your ring finger for your pinky finger during the section from 17 seconds to 21. That chord has a bit of an awkward stretch when using the ring.
2) Double check the rhythm in bar 9 (second to last bar before the Chorus). Sounds like you lingered a little too long on the D7.
noemie – Wow! I’m impressed that you were able to figure that one out all on your own! And your playing is fantastic! 🙂
The only thing that stood out to me is bar 13 (3rd bar in the chorus). Double check the rhythm there, which you will be able to now, because I set up your account for a month of premium membership. Keep playing, you are rocking!
AndrewKeymasterHere is a helpful video that breaks down the rhythm I used in the performance. See the post above for rhythm hits.
AndrewKeymasterGood rule of thumb is down on down beat, up on up beat. So yes to 8th note or 16th = DU
And for triplet = DUD
Of course things can change the pattern, for ex. string skipping or upward/downward movement could use economy picking.
AndrewKeymasterWelcome, anirbaf! Glad you found us 🙂
AndrewKeymaster@jinajupiter – Check out the beginner guitar lesson I made. It covers how to hold a pick 🙂 Same rules would apply for uke.
AndrewKeymasterI always love watching these videos, Machie! It’s really cool to see your progress, b/c it shows hard work pays off! Keep up the great work 🙂
June 21, 2019 at 1:47 pm in reply to: Participate in the June 2019 Member Challenge – LAST Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #28349
AndrewKeymasterjinajupiter – WOW! What a fantastic performance, vocal & playing wise! 🙂 You def can sing, that was lovely. My only advice is to slow the tempo down a notch.
Here’s some advice for everyone who’s reading this, and it may seem obvious, but always listen to the original recording, not just our version. This will help you get better familiarized with not only the tempo, but the overall feel of the piece. (BTW – this isn’t directed towards you, just generalized advice)
zukulele – Thought it would be fun to do another “reacts” type video for your performance 🙂
June 20, 2019 at 5:10 pm in reply to: Participate in the June 2019 Member Challenge – LAST Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #28326
AndrewKeymasterJune 20, 2019 at 4:34 pm in reply to: Participate in the June 2019 Member Challenge – LAST Chance to WIN a Kanile’a! #28321
AndrewKeymasterSometimes when you play along with us, or the record, and if you don’t try it on your own (not directed to you, Ray – in general this happens), it kind of becomes a crutch, as in you need a guide to be able to do it.
To counter this, I’d memorized the rhythms and play along to a click. Start easy, one or two bars at a time and try to count the rhythm as you play it. This will help you break away from needing a reference guide.
-
AuthorPosts